PDA

View Full Version : Sheriff Lee Baca comments on buyback

livone
06-01-2009, 11:28 PM
http://www.sgvtribune.com/ci_12494824

“People are more afraid of a weapon itself than what they can defend with that weapon,” Baca said. “At what point do we not acknowledge 16,000 people killed in this nation with their own weapon? This is a very large part of this story.” - Sheriff Baca

Then why didn't sheriff Baca turn in his own weapon to eliminate the danger that he might be killed with it? Hmmmmm....

r08ert209cali
06-01-2009, 11:57 PM
if people are truelly afraid of there gun then they should get rid of it.

nick
06-02-2009, 12:15 AM
Then why didn't sheriff Baca turn in his own weapon to eliminate the danger that he might be killed with it? Hmmmmm....

He's specially trained. You know, that mythical training every CLEO receives.

gd-bh
06-02-2009, 5:32 AM
if people are truelly afraid of there gun then they should get rid of it.

Absolutely true.

thefifthspeed
06-02-2009, 7:35 AM

“People are more afraid of a weapon itself than what they can defend with that weapon,” Baca said. “At what point do we not acknowledge 16,000 people killed in this nation with their own weapon? This is a very large part of this story.” - Sheriff Baca

Edit out the suicides from that number and get back to me Mr. Baca :sleeping:

CHS
06-02-2009, 7:53 AM
Edit out the suicides from that number and get back to me Mr. Baca :sleeping:

No, that number is correct. There are about 16,000 suicides every year in which a gun was used.

There are about 14-15,000 homicides every year in which a gun is used.

(obviously, the statistics change a little every year, but suicides usually edge out homicides by a few points)

dfletcher
06-02-2009, 8:11 AM

So, people are more afraid of the gun than "what they can defend"? What they can defend is their own lives and the lives of their family, but with that as the subject the quote doesn't make any sense. It makes sense only if the "what they can defend" he's referring to is an object like your home, car or TV or radio, etc. Are we to presume from this the Sheriff believes people own guns only to defend property but not their lives? Or perhaps he thinks only the police should be the ones defending our lives?

BKinzey
06-02-2009, 8:21 AM
His point is a suicide is very different than someone taking your firearm from you and killing you with it.

I'd like to know how many people are killed with objects that the victim owned or had possession of. Don't have any knives in the house, someone may kill you with one of them!:eek::eek::rolleyes:

Glock22Fan
06-02-2009, 8:26 AM
I'll accept that maybe some of the suicides found it convenient to have a gun and might not have killed themselves had a gun not been available. But, I think, the bulk of the 16,000 would still be dead; overdose, slitting wrists, running a hosepipe to their car's exhaust, hanging or whatever.

The more interesting figure, to me, is what proportion of the firearm homicides were committed with the victim's own firearm.

motorhead
06-02-2009, 8:30 AM
does that mean every cop with "glock foot" should immediately relinquish his weapon?

kap
06-02-2009, 9:05 AM
does that mean every cop with "glock foot" should immediately relinquish his weapon?

Is that a redundant question?

squishyhead
06-02-2009, 9:21 AM
This is exactly why I have a gun safe. Every night, I sit in fear as I hear my guns in there, scratching around and screaming to be let out so they can beat me up and then steal my car so they can go joy riding and do God knows what else! It's just too terrifying to continue writing about:( Anywho, Baca is just a typical politician who's trying to defend his positions by lying. He doesn't want anyone but law enforcement carrying guns, and if claiming that allowing civilians to carry will cause all of them to shoot themselves helps him to reach his goal, that's going to be his play!

motorhead
06-02-2009, 9:26 AM
there was a website where they had an ebr under 24 hr observation, waiting for that to happen.

CHS
06-02-2009, 9:35 AM
there was a website where they had an ebr under 24 hr observation, waiting for that to happen.

It's still under observation, and still hasn't killed anyone.

http://www.assaultweaponwatch.com/

st.clouds
06-02-2009, 9:38 AM

Indeed, let the first man, not without a gun cast their weapon...

Glock22Fan
06-02-2009, 9:53 AM

LOL

Fate
06-02-2009, 10:05 AM

Checked it lately?

http://hotimg23.fotki.com/a/76_91/221_146/assaultweaponcamera-vi.jpg

rabagley
06-02-2009, 12:18 PM
Man, those blood spatters make me think of Dexter. Can't wait for the next season...

dfletcher
06-02-2009, 12:18 PM
I'll accept that maybe some of the suicides found it convenient to have a gun and might not have killed themselves had a gun not been available. But, I think, the bulk of the 16,000 would still be dead; overdose, slitting wrists, running a hosepipe to their car's exhaust, hanging or whatever.

The idea of eliminating one avenue a person may use to kill themself and presuming it will prevent their suicide is interesting. For years San Francisco debated putting up a barrier or net on the GG bridge, the intent being it will deter people from jumping & prevent suicides. Sounds reasonable, but there have been studies done which show that people go through a process - they decide to jump off the bridge, get dressed & walk or drive and somewhere along the line change their mind. Perhaps it's a nice day out or they run into friend or look down and realize "damn, that's a long drop". And they change their mind along the way. With a barrier up, they know they can't use the bridge and may decide to just jump out their apartment window, shoot themself or stick their head in an oven - a very immediate and self contained process. So what's seen as preventative actually results in increased suicides. I suppose that's the chance people take when they try to apply logic to what may be an illogical act.

N6ATF
06-03-2009, 12:19 AM

Because he's a hypocritical traitor who needs it to commit suicide if he's ever indicted.

hill billy
06-03-2009, 7:10 AM
Because he's a hypocritical traitor who needs it to commit suicide if he's ever indicted.

Oof. Can't argue with that one too much.

bernieb90
06-03-2009, 12:47 PM
Japan has a very low availability of firearms for the average citizen, yet has a much higher suicide rate than the U.S. Clearly people are more resourceful than Baca would have you believe. the method of choice over there seems to be stepping in front of trains. Maybe we should ban those too.

N6ATF
06-03-2009, 12:57 PM
Japan has a very low availability of firearms for the average citizen, yet has a much higher suicide rate than the U.S. Clearly people are more resourceful than Baca would have you believe. the method of choice over there seems to be stepping in front of trains. Maybe we should ban those too.

LA's public transportation system is too inconvenient for its riders, let alone the suicidal. Or so I hear it compared to SF.

Sobriquet
06-03-2009, 1:05 PM
At least with firearms, people here are only killing themselves. I remember reading about a rash of cases in Japan where suicidal people were leaving the gas on to suffocate themselves. Neighbors were either also dying in their sleep or were being blown up.

dfletcher
06-03-2009, 1:31 PM
At least with firearms, people here are only killing themselves. I remember reading about a rash of cases in Japan where suicidal people were leaving the gas on to suffocate themselves. Neighbors were either also dying in their sleep or were being blown up.

The law of unintended consequences at its best.

Wasn't there a fellow back east who was going through a divorce, turned on the gas and not only did he blow up his entire house, he took out a structure or two left & right? I want to guess it was Philly.

I'll bet his neighbors wish he'd had a gun!

dfletcher
06-03-2009, 1:41 PM
LA's public transportation system is too inconvenient for its riders, let alone the suicidal. Or so I hear it compared to SF.

I can imagine a Bob Newhart telephone skit - suicidal caller talking to LA metro.

"Ah, hello - LA Metro? I'd like to know - say, exactly when will the 10:15 be arriving at Highland & Hollywood? Really, 11:30 you say? Ah, ha - then why do you call it the 10:15? I see - because that's how many people call you to complain that it's running late ....... No, I don't need a ticket - I'll just catch it in between stops. Yes, I understand it won't make any unschedued stops - uh, actually - I'm sort of planning on that ..."

Werewolf1021
06-03-2009, 1:53 PM
Umm, I've been thinking about stuff like this lately as it has come up near my college (about conceal ccw on campus). Why the heck can we not trust ordinary citizens with guns while we do with LEO? I mean, LEO is not much different than ordinary citizens (ability to commit evil, corruption and so forth). What makes them so special above the rest of us?

N6ATF
06-03-2009, 2:00 PM
A seat at the table via union representation and campaign coughbribecough contributions. They have it, we don't.

Suvorov
06-03-2009, 2:00 PM
Umm, I've been thinking about stuff like this lately as it has come up near my college (about conceal ccw on campus). Why the heck can we not trust ordinary citizens with guns while we do with LEO? I mean, LEO is not much different than ordinary citizens (ability to commit evil, corruption and so forth). What makes them so special above the rest of us?

Because the average sheep is comfortable with the idea of LEOs having guns and disarming the LEOs would incline the sheep to vote against the politicians who disarmed them. Plus, LEOs can be trusted with guns because they are far more apt to do what the politicians tell them to do.

You can't have a police state unless the police have arms.

bodger
06-03-2009, 8:26 PM

Apparently that would leave a large percentage of the NYPD unarmed.

problemchild
06-03-2009, 9:12 PM
I met him at a GUN charity event for soldiers at the Petersen publishing ranch. Funny he would go there if he is anti gun????

ZRX61
06-03-2009, 9:14 PM
I'd like to know how many people are killed with objects that the victim owned or had possession of.

I imagine more people are killed by their own automobiles?

cousinkix1953
06-03-2009, 11:34 PM
He's specially trained. You know, that mythical training every CLEO receives.
He doesn't need a gun to defend himself, when sitting behind a desk in the sheriff's office. Los Angeles isn't a small town, with a handful of deputies, and where the boss still works a beat and personally arrests criminals. Desk jockeys don't need to be armed...

taloft
06-04-2009, 5:59 AM
Pure and simple, much like a badge it is also a symbol of authority. Firearms in the hands of the people would indicate that the power rests in the hands of the people. All tyrants find this unacceptable. They don't like reminders that they actually work for us.

cadurand
06-04-2009, 6:19 AM
I wonder where he got this 16,000 number from? Do we think he's including suicides? I remember seeing.. don't remember the year but it was within the last3 or 4.. than about 30,000 people die from firearms in this country each year. A large number, much higher than I know before that, were suicides.

CHS
06-04-2009, 8:40 AM
I wonder where he got this 16,000 number from? Do we think he's including suicides? I remember seeing.. don't remember the year but it was within the last3 or 4.. than about 30,000 people die from firearms in this country each year. A large number, much higher than I know before that, were suicides.

Like I said before, that number is accurate. Check the FBI stats.

Roughly 30K people die each year due to firearms. A little over 50% are suicides. 16K is fairly accurate.