PDA

View Full Version : Game Warden Exam Questions

countryrose
06-01-2009, 9:00 PM
I am looking into a career as a game warden and will be applying to take the DFG Warden Cadet exam this November. To those who may know, what codes or laws should I be studying to prepare myself for the exam? Is there anyway I can get a practice exam online? Any information regarding becoming or what to expect as a Game Warden would be much appreciated!:thumbsup:

eltee
06-01-2009, 9:24 PM
I had some buddies who attended my police academy and ended up as DFG wardens. Study the F&G codes, the Penal and Vehicle codes. Don't get too detail oriented, just an overview of laws pertaining to hunting, fishing, licensing, wildlife management, conservation and environmental laws, trespassing, firearms law, arson, vehicle operation, laws of evidence and arrest, etc. In addition to that, brush up on people skills, communications, command presence, verbal judo, etc. since wardens tend to work alone, out in the middle of nowhere, often confronting people with loaded firearms who outnumber them.

IIRC, they said one of the testing phases specific to game wardens was traversing broken, outdoor terrain. Apparently part of the testing inc. walking across a balance beam and then a log.

Most entry level LEO tests these days do not require a high level of legal / LE knowledge. It is presumed that you will learn that in the academy. These days report writing (English grammar skills) is very important as are analytical / problem solving skills. If I were to study one thing for an LEO exam, it would be grammar, followed by practical math.

IMHO, these guys had it harder than those of us who were headed for traditional cop work in a city environment.

Best of luck!!!

Spyder
06-02-2009, 5:19 PM
PM me for my email.

Spyder
06-16-2009, 7:38 PM
Huh...countryrose only has one post? Sent an email just now...hope they come back for more info!

Fire in the Hole
06-16-2009, 8:45 PM
My next door neighbor just retired from F&G as a warden. I'm good friends with another one. They both hate their jobs, and wouldn't do it again. At least not in CA. Because the CA Dept. of Fish & Game is not a Law Enforcement Agency. They are a Resource Agency headed up by non-LEO's, with liberal enviromentalists from Berkley, Santa Cruz and Davis. They are by and large anti-hunting. Biological studies are the major focus in CA. Now on the other hand, F&G in many other states is an LE agency.

Spyder
06-16-2009, 9:48 PM
Huh. Yea. Well... I've got a different perspective that ya apparently don't want to hear.

Fire in the Hole
06-16-2009, 10:29 PM
Huh. Yea. Well... I've got a different perspective that ya apparently don't want to hear.

I received your pm and finished my reply. Are you with F&G? I do have a lot respect for them. They face unique challenges, and are unappreciated. Unfortunately their numbers are dwindling down. They are given larger beats, and retiring Wardens do not get replaced. I welcome all perspectives, and do wish to hear them, especially those that differ from mine as it gives me a broader base of understanding. You are always welcome to pm me should you choose to. I spent 20 years as a volunteer Hunter Safety Instructor and never met a Warden I didn't respect.

Spyder
06-17-2009, 6:48 AM
Heading out to work now, but I'll read yr. pm and get back on here in the next day or two!

countryrose
06-17-2009, 10:42 AM
I recieved your email spyder

Redhawker
06-18-2009, 5:01 PM
Not to discourage anyone, because God knows we can use every Warden we can get, but anyone thinking of going into the DFG really ought to read this first...

http://www.scribd.com/doc/2172431/California-Fish-and-Game-Warden-Expose
..once you read that if you can take the low pay, poor equipment and bad working conditions then I would encourage you to go for it.