PDA

View Full Version : Two rounds with one trigger pull AR15.

fliparch
06-01-2009, 8:36 PM
Has this happened to you? What could cause this and what can be done to prevent?

69Mach1
06-01-2009, 8:38 PM
Fixed mag or monster man grip? Was the FCG installed correctly?

eaglemike
06-01-2009, 8:40 PM
Upside down spring, the slightly conical one for the disconnector, IIRC from reading here. Someone had said it's not unusual, but it didn't happen to me because I knew to watch for it..... maybe.... maybe I was just lucky...
all the best,
Mike

Requiem
06-01-2009, 8:49 PM
accidental bump fire possibly?

69Mach1
06-01-2009, 8:50 PM

That's why I asked if he had a MM grip installed. Happened to me the first time out.

a1fabweld
06-01-2009, 8:51 PM
Sounds like fun! Just kidding. Pretty serious condition there that you should attend to asap.

Plisk
06-01-2009, 8:52 PM
Could just be a glitch with the disconnector.

Noobert
06-01-2009, 8:52 PM
wear/tear on fcg?

speedracer
06-01-2009, 8:53 PM
Disconnector timing, fires once on trigger pull and fires again on trigger release.

bender152
06-01-2009, 8:57 PM
Is the disconnecter spring installed properly?

Cal-Irish
06-01-2009, 8:59 PM
.gov is on their way.

Sounds like a reversed disconnecter spring.

fliparch
06-01-2009, 9:10 PM
.gov is on their way.

Sounds like a reversed disconnecter spring.

Hahaha...didn't say it was my rifle ;)

gn3hz3ku1*
06-01-2009, 9:13 PM
Hahaha...didn't say it was my rifle ;)

was it a lwrc on a nov lower? :thumbsup:

Prowler
06-01-2009, 9:14 PM
Has this happened to you? What could cause this and what can be done to prevent?

This should start with..."I have a friend that..."

Jicko
06-01-2009, 9:14 PM
Could just be a glitch with the disconnector.

A glitch!? :confused:

That would have been a federal felony offense glitch.

This is NO glitch, don't fire such weapon until you figured out what's wrong, and made sure that you fixed it.

Prowler
06-01-2009, 9:18 PM
If that happened to me, I would immediately dismantle the trigger assy as fast as possible before any RO or LEO-type could get to it. Then I'd leave the range. Just my .02

fliparch
06-01-2009, 9:19 PM
This should start with..."I have a friend that..."

It's a general question...doesn't pertain to anyone in particular...come on guys! It's a hypothetical question.

Prowler
06-01-2009, 9:21 PM
It's a general question...doesn't pertain to anyone in particular...come on guys! It's a hypothetical question.

I figured that much, just trying to keep it neutral for the trolls.

SJgunguy24
06-01-2009, 9:24 PM
If that happened to me, I would immediately dismantle the trigger assy as fast as possible before any RO or LEO-type could get to it. Then I'd leave the range. Just my .02

AAHHHH yep this is exactly what I would do:thumbsup:

I had a SKS let loose and dump about 6-7 rounds, boy was I FREEEEEEKED OUT:eek:

I'm just glad the RO's know me and the first thing we did was rip apart my rifle to find out why. Piece of brass got stuck in the firing pin hole. Could that have happend? I know AR's are floating firing pins as well.

Prowler
06-01-2009, 9:27 PM
I just figured it would be easier to dismantle the alleged evidence, which would be my first priority. I expect that it would be a trigger problem and it could be solved. Leaving mitigates the risk of some ***$%$@ trying to confiscate my firearm, etc. Whether it was intentional or by accident, LEO's don't care.

fliparch
06-01-2009, 9:31 PM
I just figured it would be easier to dismantle the alleged evidence, which would be my first priority. I expect that it would be a trigger problem and it could be solved. Leaving mitigates the risk of some ***$%$@ trying to confiscate my firearm, etc. Whether it was intentional or by accident, LEO's don't care.

I agree! Good advice guys.

Prowler
06-01-2009, 9:36 PM
I agree! Good advice guys.

Glad you agree. I wasn't trying to offend you or jack your thread. ;)

slappomatt
06-01-2009, 9:36 PM
like many have said it was most likely a improperly installed disconnecter spring. They can be easily mistaken for the bolt stop spring which is much softer. also there is one end larger on the disconnecter spring. That end goes down in the trigger it self.

aplinker
06-01-2009, 9:37 PM
Disassemble it?! I'd sell it as a MG to a friend... and then go to prison... jokes

Seriously, though, you're worrying more than need be. A malf isn't a MG. Olofson is in jail because he was beyond stupid... and the BATFE is beyond that.

Get it fixed (check your FCG springs are all oriented and placed correctly).

50BMGBOB
06-02-2009, 12:16 AM

I've had that happen with more than one rifle. A Harris bipod and a loose hold will do that all the time. But like others have said, go thru the trigger and make sure that nothing is wrong. Better safe than sorry.

rsandovaljr
06-02-2009, 12:32 AM
Disassemble it?! I'd sell it as a MG to a friend... and then go to prison... jokes

Seriously, though, you're worrying more than need be. A malf isn't a MG. Olofson is in jail because he was beyond stupid... and the BATFE is beyond that.

Get it fixed (check your FCG springs are all oriented and placed correctly).

Not to get off topic but didn't olfson lend his rifle to someone else and they got him for transferring? The miss fire wasn't really the issue was it ?

UncleJohnny
06-02-2009, 1:11 AM
My buddies AR malfunctioned at the range with LEO there(I was there too and witnessed the whole event and inspection by several law enforcement officers), and went burst, actually it emptied what was left in the mag. The upper most pin that holds the trigger group in wobbled out towards the ejection port side, and the trigger group "fell" inside the reciever, crooked and slanted, which caused his AR to burst fire. The left side of the pin wasnt in the hole anymore, and the right side of the pin was sticking out about a quarter inch. The trigger was "leaning" towards the ejection port side. So after the first shot I think nothing was catching the bolt or something when the pin came out. The LEO took a hold of the rifle as is and looked it over and seen the trigger group barely intact with the pin almost coming out of the ejection port side of the rifle. He determined that was the culprit and recommended KNS anti rotation/ lock pins. With the trigger held to the left, and the pin put back in place, he test fired it. He watched the pins rotate after every shot, and at about 30 or so rounds the pin was creeping out of the ejection port side again. He told him to put it away for now, but didnt give us any trouble. It was a fairly new dpms LPK. But thats just what happened to his, dont know about yours.

snupples
06-02-2009, 1:35 AM
Good to know there is some sanity out there

My buddies AR malfunctioned at the range with LEO there(I was there too and witnessed the whole event and inspection by several law enforcement officers), and went burst, actually it emptied what was left in the mag. The upper most pin that holds the trigger group in wobbled out towards the ejection port side, and the trigger group "fell" inside the reciever, crooked and slanted, which caused his AR to burst fire. The left side of the pin wasnt in the hole anymore, and the right side of the pin was sticking out about a quarter inch. The trigger was "leaning" towards the ejection port side. So after the first shot I think nothing was catching the bolt or something when the pin came out. The LEO took a hold of the rifle as is and looked it over and seen the trigger group barely intact with the pin almost coming out of the ejection port side of the rifle. He determined that was the culprit and recommended KNS anti rotation/ lock pins. With the trigger held to the left, and the pin put back in place, he test fired it. He watched the pins rotate after every shot, and at about 30 or so rounds the pin was creeping out of the ejection port side again. He told him to put it away for now, but didnt give us any trouble. It was a fairly new dpms LPK. But thats just what happened to his, dont know about yours.

fliparch
06-02-2009, 7:04 AM
Not to get off topic but didn't olfson lend his rifle to someone else and they got him for transferring? The miss fire wasn't really the issue was it ?

There's more to Olofson story than this. It did seem too simple of a case but look into his past and what he's done and what group he belongs to, like UCLAPlinker said, he's beyond stupid.

ERdept
06-02-2009, 8:39 AM
My Ruger PC nine ended up doing 3-4 round bursts. I wanted to keep it just as so, but could never fire it at any range.

Too bad. I sold it to a guy knowing he had to repair it on Snipers Hide.

fliparch
06-02-2009, 8:48 AM
My Ruger PC nine ended up doing 3-4 round bursts. I wanted to keep it just as so, but could never fire it at any range.

Too bad. I sold it to a guy knowing he had to repair it on Snipers Hide.

:eek: Make sure he gets it fixed before he gets caught with it and they find out he got it from you...read up on David Olofson.

Sig226
06-02-2009, 8:50 AM
No one mentioned it, but if you have an adjustable match trigger like the Jard, etc this can happen by incorrectly settings the trigger too light with too little "bite" on the disconnector.

Just back off the rear screw a 1/2 turn and give 'er a go.

Jonathan Doe
06-02-2009, 9:20 AM
I have seen people have a rifle that goes FA or burst for whatever reason. Then I hear he was happy and excited to have the rifle that does it. WRONG!!. Whether you like it or not, now you have a illegal weapon by definition. CA Penal Code or US Code does not specify in their definition whether it was intended or accidental auto for machine gun.

rtlltj
06-02-2009, 9:24 AM
Not to mention I don't even think it's safe for an AR made for semi auto to go into burst mode. Isn't the chance for a out of battery discharge really high?

aplinker
06-02-2009, 2:24 PM
Not to mention I don't even think it's safe for an AR made for semi auto to go into burst mode. Isn't the chance for a out of battery discharge really high?

no.

bronco1500
06-02-2009, 6:33 PM
The upper most pin that holds the trigger group in wobbled out towards the ejection port side, and the trigger group "fell" inside the reciever, crooked and slanted, which caused his AR to burst fire

This exact thing happened to a buddy of mine. We thought he was maybe bump firing it. turns out the pin just needed putting back in. Scared the hell out of the guy next to us.

Jicko
06-02-2009, 7:04 PM
Make sure checking the J-pin inside the hammer is part of your LPK installation check!!