PDA

View Full Version : Took my new AR out for the first time

cgseanp1
06-01-2009, 8:21 PM
I took my new Henderson Defense AR15 out yesterday and shot about 200 rounds without one issue. :) I took it out again today and I wasn't so lucky.. on the second or third mag, we pulled the trigger and nothing happened.. took magazine out, there were still bullets in it. Tried to pull the charging handle out and it's stuck!! :( I couldn't figure out how to get it out so I just put it away and shot my other guns.. So, how do I get that stuck bolt out?

aplinker
06-01-2009, 8:23 PM
buttstock slam...

be very careful about where you point the muzzle. Smack it hard on the ground (preferably dirt or grass over pavement). Pull back on the CH to keep it from closing on the round again.

Vtec44
06-01-2009, 9:50 PM
Were you able to pop open the dust cover to at least see how the bolt is stuck? You can also try to pop out the pivot and take down pins, then slide the upper receiver forward and remove it from the lower. Then try to see of you can pull out the bolt that way. At least that will give you more room and places to pivot it out.

rix
06-01-2009, 10:11 PM
+1 Buttstock Slam.

glockwise2000
06-01-2009, 10:19 PM
Buttstock slam? This is rather dangerous procedure. If you can take out the round lodged in chamber, do so. But be careful. Then buttstock slam.

Darklyte27
06-02-2009, 7:10 AM
Actually everyone forgot to mention to let the rifle sit for a minute on the table pointed down range after you pulled the trigger and nothing happened with the safety on.

Then while keeping it pointed down range, pull the ch handle slowly to eject the round if possible.

But since you said it got stuck, thats when you try stripping the mag down.

cookmonsta
06-02-2009, 7:18 AM
use the henderson defense lifetime warranty. :thumbsup::jump:

cgseanp1
06-02-2009, 7:36 AM
We left the gun pointed downrange after we pulled the trigger for a while, then I tried to pull out the CH but it just wouldn't budge. I took the upper off the lower to get a better look, but still was unable to get it lose. I didn't have any tools with me, I might be able to get it free now that I am home. If not, I guess I'll be trying the buttstock slam!

WokMaster1
06-02-2009, 7:40 AM
is the bolt lubed with CLP?

cgseanp1
06-02-2009, 8:31 AM
is the bolt lubed with CLP?

After the first day of shooting, i cleaned it up and lubed it with that 3 in 1 oil and some Rem Oil (all we had at my dads house).. anyways, I just tried the ol buttstock slam and it worked great:) Didn't even slam it very hard and it popped right open, the bullet flew out and that was it. The bullet primer hadn't been struck, does this mean anything, like a broken firing pin? Or why do the bolts normally get jammed up like that?

WyoDuner
06-02-2009, 9:31 AM
If the primer didn't have a strike mark and since you did pull the trigger and since it did get stuck it sounds like it wouldn't go into battery due to an oversize case.

Were you shooting reloads? Perhaps the case wasn't resized during the reload process?

WeekendWarrior
06-02-2009, 9:40 AM
Buy some Rem-Oil or other spray on oil and shoot a periodic burst of oil in it when it starts to get dry. The gun may have been lightly oiled out of box and dried up quickly during your initial shooting day w/ 400 rounds through it.

aplinker
06-02-2009, 2:26 PM
Buttstock slam? This is rather dangerous procedure. If you can take out the round lodged in chamber, do so. But be careful. Then buttstock slam.

LOL

If he could get the round out then he wouldn't need to slam it.

A buttstock slam is SOP. Just don't be stupid when you do it.

cgseanp1
06-02-2009, 5:34 PM
LOL

If he could get the round out then he wouldn't need to slam it.

A buttstock slam is SOP. Just don't be stupid when you do it.

Worked great! And I was not shooting reloads. Thanks for the tip.

Jicko
06-02-2009, 6:12 PM
Call me if u still need help.