PDA

View Full Version : Dual Residency ?

TonyM
09-21-2005, 5:38 AM
`````http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

toolman9000
09-21-2005, 8:13 AM
If you have a condo or a house in Arizona or Nevada and also get a State ID, I don't see why you couldn't buy all the guns you wanted - for that state. Just keep your dual life seperate where the firearms are concerned and "I think" you should be fine.

I would not bring them to California even if they were legal unless you sold your interest in the other state and no longer were a dual resident - sans the high caps and "evil" guns.

Heck, if I had dual residency in Arizona, I would try to get a class III license so I had something to look forward to when I was there.

-toolman9000

-hanko
09-21-2005, 9:04 AM
Talk to your tax professional; if you have dual residency in the eyes of the IRS, you're good to go. I've been a resident of both ID and the prk for a few years with no problems.

-hanko

09-21-2005, 10:19 AM
Can you legally have two drivers licenses (that is, two state-issued picture IDs, colloquially known as drivers licenses)? If no, this might be a problem buying a gun for the state in which you don't have a drivers license.

Yes, I know that it's easily possible to have multiple drivers licenses; every college kid who wants to have a beer before age 21 knows about that. I was asking about doing so /legally/, which might be hard or impossible.

gunsmithcat
09-21-2005, 10:39 AM
I know legally you are not allowed to have drivers licenses from two separate states. When applying for a second one u are supposed to give up the old one..
However, that hasnt stopped my friend from obtaining a second one by claiming he never drove before and taking the driving test all over....
His insurance record for that state started at zero.

Buying firearms in both states moght not be a problem as long as you do not include ur SSN on purchases. htat might raise red flags.

toolman9000
09-21-2005, 11:22 AM
Keep the CA drivers license and get a Picture ID from the other state for opening bank accounts and buying firearms.

If you oen property and pay taxes there is not a chance you would have any problems buying all the guns you want.

imported_EOD Guy
09-21-2005, 12:34 PM
Here is what the BATF says about it:

(B13) May a person who resides in one state and owns property in another state purchase a handgun in either state?

If a person maintains a home in 2 states and resides in both states for certain periods of the year, he or she may, during the period of time the person actually resides in a particular state, purchase a handgun in that state. But simply owning property in another state does not qualify the person to purchase a handgun in that state.

Mike
09-21-2005, 2:31 PM
Some states still allow "valid in issuing state ONLY" driver licenses, and I believe that Kali does not participate in this, or else I'd get a Kali-ONLY DL and an AZ DL for the rest of the free nation.

And there isn't such a thing as a Class 3 license, toolman (common misconception for people just learning about NFA firearms)---I'll soon be going pending on a Form 4 for a certain NFA item http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

capitol
09-21-2005, 2:42 PM
Originally posted by EOD Guy:

(B13) May a person who resides in one state and owns property in another state purchase a handgun in either state?

If a person maintains a home in 2 states and resides in both states for certain periods of the year, he or she may, during the period of time the person actually resides in a particular state, purchase a handgun in that state. But simply owning property in another state does not qualify the person to purchase a handgun in that state.

What about rifles and shotguns?

-hanko
09-21-2005, 5:46 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by toolman9000:
Keep the CA drivers license and get a Picture ID from the other state for opening bank accounts and buying firearms. [QUOTE]
I tossed the CA license after I used it for a CCW permit in ID. Auto registration in ID is a very small percentage of what the PRK asks.

-hanko

-hanko
09-21-2005, 5:47 PM
Originally posted by capitol:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by EOD Guy:

What about rifles and shotguns? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
If it's legal in BOTH states, interstate long gun purchase is not a problem...you do it via an ffl though.

-hanko

dwtt
09-21-2005, 7:14 PM
I did some research into this since my company has headquarters in NV and I thought about setting up NV residency. If you want the benefits of being a NV resident, you will and should give up your CA residency. When you apply for a NV driver's license you will give up your CA driver's license, which isn't a loss at all. After that you have some benefits and liabilities.

Guns- you can walk into any NV gun store and buy any gun you see. This will include many guns not legal in CA. If you buy any guns not legal in CA, keep them in your NV home and don't bring them to your CA home. You will no longer be able to buy guns in CA since you now have a NV driver's license and have declared your residency in NV, but you can buy any gun sold in CA in NV for less.

Insurance - If you transfer title of your car to NV, which you should do, you will have to buy new insurance for your car unless your insurance company is licensed to do business in NV. There's no smog test in NV.

Taxes- here's where people get in trouble. As a NV resident, there's no NV income tax on the money you earn. However, for the months you physically stay in CA or for any income you earn from CA sources, you will have to pay CA state income taxes. Any money you earn in NV or outside of CA is free of CA income taxes. Federal taxes don't change. If you are willing to pay your income taxes, you will not have a problem, since it's those who claim a NV residency while still living in CA and try to avoid paying CA state income taxes who get in trouble. Also, real estate taxes are much lower in NV than in CA.

imported_EOD Guy
09-23-2005, 5:34 AM
Taxes- here's where people get in trouble. As a NV resident, there's no NV income tax on the money you earn. However, for the months you physically stay in CA or for any income you earn from CA sources, you will have to pay CA state income taxes. .

One exception to that is retirement from a California company. If you retire from a California company and move out of the state, you are not subject to California income taxes on any retirement payments from the California source. They have tried to tax such income in the past but were shot down by Federal courts.