PDA

View Full Version : Can a Yugoslavian M59/66 be CA legal with a detachable 10 round magazine?

Cobrafreak
06-01-2009, 10:24 AM
I have a Yugoslavian M59/66 that may look like an SKS but is not actually an SKS. It is featureless. I would like to have the freedom to use detachable 10 round magazines on this rifle as shown in the picture. Currently it is a fixed 10 rounder and fed with stripper clips.
It's 922(r) compliant with enough U.S. parts on it to qualify it as a U.S. Rifle, so I'm compliant in this department.
The law reads that "SKS rifles with detachable magazines are assault weapons" I don't know if this applies to any SKS "type" rifles or just to actual SKS's. Here is the picture. http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d37/jperickson2001/P5310005.jpg
It is clearly featureless. No pistol grips, flash suppressors, folding/collapsable stock, etc. It fits the criteria for a CA legal detachable magazine rifle such as an M1A would be. I do know that Yugoslavian M59/66's do not say "SKS" anywhere on the rifle. I have done a search on this site and people have said "yes, it's legal because it meets the standards of CA interpretation of an assault weapon". I have also read people say that I would have to "explain this to a judge"? So bottom line. #1, does a Yugoslavian M59/66 have an off-list ability to use a detachable 10 round magazine legally in CA if it is a featureless build and 922(r) compliant? I don't want to get in trouble with the law. Thanks.

chsk9
06-01-2009, 10:29 AM
I have a Yugoslavian M59/66 that may look like an SKS but is not actually an SKS. It is featureless. I would like to have the freedom to use detachable 10 round magazines on this rifle as shown in the picture. Currently it is a fixed 10 rounder and fed with stripper clips.
It's 762(r) compliant with enough U.S. parts on it to qualify it as a U.S. Rifle, so I'm compliant in this department.
The law reads that "SKS rifles with detachable magazines are assault weapons" I don't know if this applies to any SKS "type" rifles or just to actual SKS's. Here is the picture. http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d37/jperickson2001/P5310005.jpg
It is clearly featureless. No pistol grips, flash suppressors, folding/collapsable stock, etc. It fits the criteria for a CA legal detachable magazine rifle such as an M1A would be. I do know that Yugoslavian M59/66's do not say "SKS" anywhere on the rifle. I have done a search on this site and people have said "yes, it's legal because it meets the standards of CA interpretation of an assault weapon". I have also read people say that I would have to "explain this to a judge"? So bottom line. #1, does a Yugoslavian M59/66 have an off-list ability to use a detachable 10 round magazine legally in CA if it is a featureless build and 762(r) compliant? I don't want to get in trouble with the law. Thanks.

Interesting idea- how about a letter to the DOJ for clarification?

Rukus
06-01-2009, 10:42 AM
I think you're a little confused. While there may be a 762(r) law somewhere on the books, it has nothing to do with parts compliance. The law you are thinking of is 922(r).

IMO if it doesn't say SKS on your rifle its not an SKS and thus, legal. Just like how my lancaster doesn't say AK or AK47 and thus legal.

YMMV.

Cobrafreak
06-01-2009, 10:55 AM
Yep, I meant to say 922(r), thanks for the correction.

Futurecollector
06-01-2009, 11:01 AM
There has been a lot of discussion on this topic, although the leter of the law would be a yes, since the rifle does not have "SKS" on it anywhere, I think it would land the person in a jail for a lil time and then after lawyers where involved it would all get cleared up, (hopefully) bottom line, I think its not worth it.

bwiese
06-01-2009, 3:03 PM
The rifle under discussion is formally known as a Zastava Arms M59/66 carbine.

Nowhere is its make/model an "SKS" other than colloquial terminology.

For banned "SKS with detachable magazine" to include this non-SKS implies
that SKS is used as a series. "Series" can't be added to the law, and even if
it were, individual subseries members would have to be formally identified in
regulatory code (like the Kasler list for AR/AK formally-identified banned
'series' members).

But, there can be no listing of new/additional AWs due to AB2728!

You are free to add a detachable magazine to such a rifle since it does not make
it an AW (no evil features) - esp as you seem to have followed 922(r) 'key domestic
parts content' and thus no longer have a "foreign nonsporting rifle".

Be verbally prepared to recite the above if LEO doesn't understand.

The SKS rifle is certainly one item that can bring down the Roberti-Roos list. I'd love for
CGF to handle an SKS case, but prosecutors will flee case (drop charges) faster than we
can advance. (This is typical of our AW cases ;) )

ThemBastards
04-11-2012, 4:19 PM
So is this still the consensus?

bigthaiboy
04-11-2012, 5:34 PM
My honest opinion is that most aftermarket detachable magazines for the SKS suck, so potentially you are compromising the reliability of the SKS. Unless you can find a mag that feeds reliability, the cons start outweighing the pros for having a detachable magazine SKS.

Full Clip
04-11-2012, 5:45 PM
My honest opinion is that most aftermarket detachable magazines for the SKS suck, so potentially you are compromising the reliability of the SKS. Unless you can find a mag that feeds reliability, the cons start outweighing the pros for having a detachable magazine SKS.

This, absolutely.
Learn to use stripper clips and you'll be happier with your rifle.

MrPlink
04-11-2012, 6:30 PM
The SKS rifle is certainly one item that can bring down the Roberti-Roos list. I'd love for
CGF to handle an SKS case, but prosecutors will flee case (drop charges) faster than we
can advance. (This is typical of our AW cases ;) )

oooh, interesting. I see where you going with that and I never considered it.
I need to hang out in 2A more and pay attention :cool:

Interesting idea- how about a letter to the DOJ for clarification?

while we are waiting for that response lets solve once and for all the Kennedy assassination :p

ThemBastards
04-11-2012, 6:34 PM
More interested in 30 rounders than detachable 10s.. I don't have this weapon yet, but I like to know the options.