PDA

View Full Version : LA area range cleanup

SVT_Fox
06-01-2009, 9:16 AM
ever since I was a young kid, I LOVED searching the ranges, finding complete rounds and of course brass and lead, I would love to organize a range cleanup in the LA area, but I am unsure of the ranges around here as I have never been to one. Im in burbank, and I think there is a range a ways east of me, in inland empire? or san b?

Im barley working these days so I have free time..

TheCilician
06-01-2009, 10:51 AM
I'm down to help you out. I live near you.

Only thing is, there is little to no BLM land near us in LA, I think the nearest is Barstow, and last time I checked, the boys who go there keep it clean.

locktime
06-01-2009, 10:57 AM
There's a thread in this section about Rattlesnake Rd. That's probably one of the closest open shooting areas to Burbank, it is typically in need of a cleanup.

ojisan
06-01-2009, 11:24 AM
You could go to the now closed shooting areas of "Middle" and "Kentucky" on Angeles Forest Highway. You will have to park next to the street and walk in as both are gated shut.
These areas have been closed to shooting for over ten years now.
I worked hard with the USFS back then and organized mass trash clean-ups of these two area to keep them open. USFS promised to keep them open if we cleaned them up. We cleaned them up real nice, USFS then closed them after the clean-up anyway. :mad:

Middle is near where Upper Big Tujunga Cnyn Road meets Angeles Forest Highway. Kentucky is about 10 miles further out on AFH past UBTCR.

Should be lots of brass around at Kentucky, Middle was plowed over so maybe the pickings there are slim.

LE watches these two areas, do not have firearms with you if you enter these closed shooting areas.

Greg-Dawg
06-01-2009, 5:55 PM
What about volunteering at the Burbank Firing Line on weekends?

SVT_Fox
06-02-2009, 7:27 PM
good ideas guys, I just want to start a gun owners for environmental conservation group, i think such an organization would blow the minds of tree huggers everywhere!

some one once told me about a range north of the 210 around glendora?

also can some one give cords for the closed range?

spartan DSK
06-10-2009, 1:14 AM
im willing to help to !! im in the sgv and i havent been able to find any ranges :(

zcrehan
06-10-2009, 9:36 AM
rattlesnake road in Rosamond is always in need of a cleanup. Be sure to watch for people shooting at you, I'm not kidding. I don't think I will be going back there.

210 north of glendora.... sounds like Burro Canyon which is a maintained range never in need of a cleanup.

SVT_Fox
06-10-2009, 10:41 AM
I just got back from camping up in kern river, there was a range literally right across the street from our camp, I was able to pick up some .223 shells, but for the most part it looked pretty clean

so have we decided on what range needs our help?

gn3hz3ku1*
06-10-2009, 2:31 PM
there are no free ranges anywhere near LA :(

cassius
06-10-2009, 11:19 PM
You could go to the now closed shooting areas of "Middle" and "Kentucky" on Angeles Forest Highway. You will have to park next to the street and walk in as both are gated shut.
These areas have been closed to shooting for over ten years now.
I worked hard with the USFS back then and organized mass trash clean-ups of these two area to keep them open. USFS promised to keep them open if we cleaned them up. We cleaned them up real nice, USFS then closed them after the clean-up anyway. :mad:

Middle is near where Upper Big Tujunga Cnyn Road meets Angeles Forest Highway. Kentucky is about 10 miles further out on AFH past UBTCR.

Should be lots of brass around at Kentucky, Middle was plowed over so maybe the pickings there are slim.

LE watches these two areas, do not have firearms with you if you enter these closed shooting areas.

THanks for the info, but surely some Desert Rat has stripped them clean long, long ago.

I used to shoot up there at Hunt Cyn as well, just around the other side of the arroyo that is Kentucky Cyn. And at a couple of spots along the fire road between the backside of Little Rock Dam and Glendale.

glockwise2000
06-13-2009, 11:06 AM
there are no free ranges anywhere near LA :(

All were shut down ten years ago.

Chopper
06-18-2009, 9:53 AM
Really. NO free ranges near Los Angeles/SFV?

SCMA-1
07-14-2009, 2:05 PM
Really. NO free ranges near Los Angeles/SFV?

Nope, all designated shooting areas were shut down some time ago. There were at least a half dozen real good ones. My favorite was Texas Canyon. I also shot at Kentucky and Hunt Canyon. Gotta drive to BFE now to discharge firearms besides going to a paying public range.

SCMA-1

Exocet5
07-24-2009, 1:00 AM
Nope, all designated shooting areas were shut down some time ago. There were at least a half dozen real good ones. My favorite was Texas Canyon. I also shot at Kentucky and Hunt Canyon. Gotta drive to BFE now to discharge firearms besides going to a paying public range.

SCMA-1

*sigh* Kentucky....those were THE days....

Shooting at old wooden tv consoles and water heaters. [other folks discards]

Gotta love it.

AndrewMendez
07-25-2009, 9:22 AM
Burro Canyon North of Azusa, is out doors, and I have found hundreds if not thousands of rounds of 223, 308, and 762. But its not free, and I dont know how happy they would be if we came to clean everything out! http://www.burrocanyon.com/

socalsniper
03-07-2010, 3:52 PM
any one here a private member with burrocanyon range? is it worth the 200.00 a year?

tafletch
03-08-2010, 2:46 PM
Is Lytle Creek shut down now? I thought that was still in operation. Other than that the other 2 places I know about are off of the 330/30 going up to Big Bear and up behind Fawnskin. It is a drive now if you want to shoot alone :(

socalsniper
03-09-2010, 9:40 AM
lytle creek the public range is open, the free one is closed been closed for years now last time I went to the free lytle creek range was in the early 90s there is a private range at lytle creek its called west end gun club very nice range. I was only two miles away from this range. now I live in Pasadena 46 miles away :( but I guess its worth the drive

JeePerz
03-12-2010, 2:19 AM
Sign me up ...

Jimmy310
03-22-2010, 10:44 PM
you guys just wanna meet up and go shooting? I recommend A Place To Shoot in Santa Clarita

sharkman
03-24-2010, 7:38 PM
ever since I was a young kid, I LOVED searching the ranges, finding complete rounds and of course brass and lead, I would love to organize a range cleanup in the LA area, but I am unsure of the ranges around here as I have never been to one. Im in burbank, and I think there is a range a ways east of me, in inland empire? or san b?

Im barley working these days so I have free time..

There was a place, up in the Wrightwood area, called (I think) either Wild Horse, or, Horsethief, Canyon, or something similar. If you took CA 138 west to CA 2, then left onto CA 2, if I remember right, it was about a mile or two to a little box canyon on the left. It WAS an open area, WAY back when. It NO LONGER is a lawful place to shoot. I heard they may have built homes there. But, if they haven't, you might find brass laying around up there. Since it's no longer legal to shoot there, and I think most folks who would be prone to going there, know this, you would likely be reasonably safe, scavenging in the area. It's one of those spots where I can drive right to it, but I can't tell you exactly how to get there.

sharkman
03-24-2010, 8:01 PM
lytle creek the public range is open, the free one is closed been closed for years now last time I went to the free lytle creek range was in the early 90s there is a private range at lytle creek its called west end gun club very nice range. I was only two miles away from this range. now I live in Pasadena 46 miles away :( but I guess its worth the drive

A friend told me yesterday, that there is a public, pay-to-shoot, shooting range where the old open, free shooting area was, in Lytle Creek Canyon. Also, the old West End Gun Club range WAS off to the east, before coming to town, down a LONG dirt/gravel road, where you actually had to cross the creek, to get to the range. According to their website, http://www.wegc.org/wordpress/ they are a membership ONLY range, and from the map they have on their website http://www.wegc.org/wordpress/?page_id=9 it appears to still be in the same location. So, if my friend was correct, there seems to be two ranges, in the Lytle Creek Canyon area.

In the Azusa Canyon area is Burro Canyon, off to the left, shortly after taking the turn onto East Fork Road, from Azusa Canyon Rd.. I also have been told there is a range in Duarte, called Gunrunners, and then there is The La Puente Firing Range. I am fairly sure a Google search will garner you enough information, to get to either of these.

m35a2
03-24-2010, 9:42 PM
Gunrunners is just a gun shop. Burro is cool, Lytle is better.