PDA

View Full Version : US made AK FCG other than Tapco G2?

Linburger
05-31-2009, 10:20 PM
Are there any alternatives for a US made AK FCG other than the Tapco G2? The only other one I've seen is by Power Custom and it's more than twice the cost. Is it worth it?

Also, what's the difference between double and single hook?

djleisure
05-31-2009, 10:34 PM
What's wrong with the Tapco? Are you just looking to "stick it to the man?" Seriously - why are you looking for an alternative?

oaklander
05-31-2009, 10:38 PM
K-Var

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/Store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=26797

But Tapco FCG is pretty good, for about 2/3 the price. . .

NSR500
05-31-2009, 10:45 PM
+1 For the K-Var/Arsenal set. It works very well with NDS3 builds when compared to the Tapco G2.

Linburger
05-31-2009, 10:47 PM
I ask because on the Nodak Spud page it says there are some issues with the tapco single hook. I'm wondering if the same would be true with an AK builder flat bent into a receiver.

jeffyboy
05-31-2009, 11:24 PM
What NDS receiver are you looking for and why would you go with a single hook? I strongly suggest a double hook Tapco G2.

oaklander
05-31-2009, 11:32 PM
The issue is "hammer follow" - but can easily be fixed with a file, if you know where to file.

Some people like the single hooks because the trigger pull can be a little lighter. . .

Generally, use double-hook with NDS-3 - but still make sure you check for hammer follow issues (and trigger reset too). . .

I ask because on the Nodak Spud page it says there are some issues with the tapco single hook. I'm wondering if the same would be true with an AK builder flat bent into a receiver.

NSR500
05-31-2009, 11:56 PM

NoDak Spud sells their preferred trigger group on their site, and it is the Arsenal/K-Var one. Just use that one if you want instant gratification, otherwise do the mod to the Tapco G2 like Oaklander mentions.

JeffM
06-01-2009, 12:00 AM
Century did install "C" marked US made FCGs in their aks.

arsenals are nice, but not worth the cost to put into a Romy. I do have one in my Bulgy '74.

But G2s work just fine in NDSs with the proper modifications. Use a double hook, cut the slot in the receiver for the second hook, file the bottom front of the disconnector so it travels forward far enough to get a good purchase on the hammer. Then file and polish the rear shelf on the hammer to lower it a hair and you're all set.

scotthmt
06-01-2009, 12:05 AM
I feel double hook is safer, because it has two hooks holding the hammer, but there are a few other makers, red star arms comes to mind but they are expensive. I dont much see a need for a match trigger on an AK, for a PSL or something of the sort i'd see the need

akjunkie
06-01-2009, 7:44 AM
i bought several sets of Tapco's double hooks when they were still listed as
Gordon Tech's G2s.

gunn
06-01-2009, 7:56 AM
RedStar Arms (nee Power Custom) makes a fully adjustable AK trigger group:
http://www.redstararms.com/index.htm?488.htm&1

"This trigger group is adjustable for Pretravel, Overtravel, Disconnector Engagement, and Trigger Pull. Depending on your preference and application, it can be adjusted for Single Stage or Two Stage pull."

~$85

I find it amusing that they a) someone makes a "match grade trigger" for the AK and b) said trigger system mfg also includes a video of an AK being bump fired in their description.

-g