PDA

View Full Version : So I want to start reloading...

Professor Frink
07-14-2005, 10:18 PM
Gents,

I think I'm ready to consider reloading. Instead of doing my usual routine of going off slightly informed and buying things I don't need I thought someone could recommend a good book to read to get me started. I know almost nothing about the subject, I just now shooting my favorit calibers is getting expensive.

Thanks for the help

Professor Frink

Turbinator
07-15-2005, 7:23 AM
Not only that, as you get into it, you will have a lot of questions. Find someone (or others) knowledgeable about reloading and ask them for help. Don't be afraid to ask, because it costs more to make a mistake in reloading than it does to ask dumb questions.

Ted's advice on a load book is very good - I have a Speer loadbook and they literally tell you everything you ever wanted to know about cartridges and ballistics. It's quite simply amazing, actually, the amount of science and years of research that has gone into writing a load book.

Turby

BigAL
07-15-2005, 1:45 PM
I second the "ABC's of Reloading." I had no knowledge of the reloading process before and the book really helped go through each step and what it does.

bu-bye
07-15-2005, 3:46 PM
What kind of ammo do you want to load? I only ask because I once heard a guy say he wanted to start reloading for his one and only .22 pistols. It was hard not to laugh but we set him right. Think of reloading as the drive for better groups and not saving money. You may save a couple bucks per box but the time its takes to load up that box at say your hourly job rate it costs much more. If you have the time its a great hobby.

If you get a Dillon Super 1050 forget everything I just said about time and money. http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

jmlivingston
07-15-2005, 4:10 PM
I started reloading about 18 months ago, and it's something I really enjoy doing. I picked up two books - Lee's Modern Reloading (2nd ed) and Lymans Reloading Handbook (48th ed.). Both are good, I actually prefer Lee's book for the "How To" stuff. As for reloading recipes the Lee book seems to list their maximum loads a little lighter than the Lymans.

I also use Lee equipment, picked up one of their kits from midwayusa.com. A lot of people say that there is better equipment out there, but for the little reloading I do it's just fine. It's also significantly less expensive than some of the other manufactures (i.e. Lyman, RCBS, Redding).

Another thing is to hang out on some boards where there is a good reloading forum. There's a few guys over on the CZ Forum that have a depth of knowledge regarding 9mm loads that I can only dream to have someday. They're the kind of guys that will tell you why to use one powder vs another, even though both may have common load data. I'm sure there are some other great places online for reloading assistance as well.

John

Professor Frink
07-15-2005, 9:14 PM
Gents,

Thanks for the info. I think I'll start with the ABCs of reloading. As to what I want to load, I have a S&W Model 25 in 45LC. I really adore that pistol. So primarily I want to load for that (nothing that will push the guns limits), .357, and .308 are on the liste too.

ivanimal
07-17-2005, 2:33 AM
PM me and give me your phone number. I like to get people started in reloading.

Sheldon
07-17-2005, 3:33 AM
Hey, Prof.Frink I just bought the Mossberg 44US from you and I am a reloader. I can help you out as well. I will have to wait till my kitchen is done and I have a chance to clean up my VERY MESSY reloading area before I can do any hands on lessons, but I am willing to show you what I have and how it works. I have a Dillon 550 and two Dillon 650 presses, so I can let you see how they run.

imported_DULLYJAY
07-18-2005, 8:07 AM
Originally posted by ivanimal:
PM me and give me your phone number. I like to get people started in reloading.
You should take Ivan up on his offer. He has great reloading know how and a all around GOOD GUY.

bwiese
07-18-2005, 10:07 AM
Reloading can save you $$ - even after cost of equipment - esp. if you're shooting non-bulk/nonmilitary calibers. (To me, it doesn't pay to reload 9mm or 45ACP -- and I don't trust reloads of 40S&W or 357Sig.)

Big-bore revolver ammo - 45LC, 454Casull, 44Mag, 44 Special, 41 Magnum (and even 357 Mag) - are all pricey by-the-box at local shops, and even when you buy them in bulk via Miwall they're still not too cheap.

Quality rifle ammo like Fed Gold Medal Match 223 and 308 are also pricey $15 & up per box of 20.
While I am not a fan of reloaded 223 (safety, and bulk quality Federal XM193 is quite good for volume shooting) I'd be willing to do small volumes for really good match-quality rounds.

I've essentially bought a Dillon reloader and accesory goodies for the price of the last 2+ years of shooting factory ammo in my revolvers.
In another 2 years that an RL1050 I've bought.

Revolver cases can be loaded quite a few times. Unlike reloading for autoloader rounds, you don't have funny feed/extraction issues, issues w/ unsupported case web, etc.

When I do get off my arse and get a reloading setup, my goal is not necessarily to develop personalized custom loadings but to instead duplicate behavior of quality boxed ammo. That way I can have my guns set up for commonly available ammo, and use commercial ammo for home defense should I use a revolver -- yet I can practice with cheaper handloads that mimic the commercial loads, and not have to change sight calibration.... Esp great if I travel and don't wanna transport ammo.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

stealthmode
07-21-2005, 8:52 PM
i have often thought of getting started but did not know where to begin. that thats why i like these boards everyone likes to help.

Cazach
07-22-2005, 9:41 AM
Not to start a blue vs. green or vs. red war, but the Dillon reloaders come with decent how to videos.

This coupled with 2 or 3 reloading reference books and you should have a good base to go from.

Turbinator
07-24-2005, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by Cazach:
Not to start a blue vs. green or vs. red war, but the Dillon reloaders come with decent how to videos.

This coupled with 2 or 3 reloading reference books and you should have a good base to go from.

And Dillon has great customer support, based on my own experience.

Turby

delloro
07-24-2005, 4:08 PM
Originally posted by s:
i have often thought of getting started but did not know where to begin. that thats why i like these boards everyone likes to help.

you buy the equipment and I will help you set it up and get you started at your place. no charge, no problem, glad to help.

jdberger
07-25-2005, 2:46 PM
I'm a Dillon man - I love those guys. I've broken more stuff on my Square Deal and 550 because I'm an idiot, and they have always replaced the broken parts for nothing, without me asking.

Sign up for a catalog from the Dillon Precision Website (http://dillonprecision.com/default.cfm?). It is pretty informative. There are also a billion articles on the internet that will teach you how to reload. And if you can find someone (like ivanimal) who is willing to teach you -- WOW!

07-26-2005, 10:13 AM
I can't say enough about Dillon myself. I owned a red machine up until the point where I blew up about 10 primers. That was it, called Dillon, ordered a fully loaded XL 650 and never looked back. Best money I ever spent!! Their customer service is something every other American company needs to emulate.

jdberger
07-26-2005, 10:52 AM
50ae,

If you ever find yourself in Phoenix, give Dillon a call and ask if you can have a factory tour. I don't know if they'll do it, but I went on one and it was amazing! Mike Dillon's airplanes are neato, but the coolest/funniest thing was watching all the folks on their break linking ammo for the machine guns!

There is a video of the gatling gun CLICK HERE (http://comments.big-boys.com/?id=3340)

Turbinator
07-26-2005, 9:52 PM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Dillon catalog covers yet...

Turby

ivanimal
07-27-2005, 12:51 AM
http://dillonprecision.com/content/image/cover/cover.jpg