PDA

View Full Version : Out of spec removable carry handle?

domokun
05-31-2009, 8:34 PM
I was at Chabot today and confirmed that my AR-15 carry handle was out of spec or at least something was very wrong with it. I took the DNTC off the muzzle to ensure it wasn't the brake that was causing it to shoot 2-3" to left at 50 yds when it's set to 0 for windage. Additionally I just had the upper checked by M24Armorer to ensure that I didn't have a canted front sight.

Has anyone else purchased a carry handle that was out of spec from the factory? :confused:

Technical Ted
05-31-2009, 9:47 PM
Milspec tolerance is +/- 12 clicks from mechanical zero.

domokun
05-31-2009, 9:50 PM
I'm beyond 12 clicks before I get zero. :)

tonelar
05-31-2009, 10:16 PM
had an upper which had an out of spec rail on it

Try the handle on someone else's upper.

jeffyboy
05-31-2009, 10:20 PM
I had a colt carry handle that was out of spec a while back...never could get it to zero correctly.

oaklander
05-31-2009, 10:22 PM
If it was an AK, the problem could be fixed with a large hammer. . .

:)

Technical Ted
05-31-2009, 10:25 PM
had an upper which had an out of spec rail on it

Try the handle on someone else's upper.
May have been one of the pre Picatinny (Milspec 1913) Bushmaster uppers that were Weaver style rails.

Artery
05-31-2009, 11:14 PM
On my AR I have the BUIS set to the far right, people were telling me it may have been that the barrel is torqued down improperly. Never bothered to get the barrel re torqued.

Jicko
06-01-2009, 12:04 AM
Before you blame 1 part.... did you isolate that it IS that part? ie. put that on multiple uppers? or have other handles on yours?

What make your upper? bottom-feeder? or premium factory stuff?

Who make this carry handle? bottom-feeder? or premium factory stuff? Or you don't even know?

maxicon
06-01-2009, 7:30 AM
As long as the sights zero, it's not really a problem, though I understand people wanting everything to be lined up properly.

There are 2 possibilities aside from the carry handle.

- The upper can be out of spec, as tonelar mentioned, which isn't as uncommon as you might think. Unfortunately, this is very hard to measure.

- The front sight could be canted, which is fairly common, and can be due to barrel timing or the FSB canted or not centered. Sometimes this can be eyeballed, other times not.

As Jicko suggests, try another BUIS or carry handle on your upper, and try your carry handle on another upper. That's the quickest way to narrow it down.

Let us know what kind of upper and carry handle they are.

Even good brand names can have problems - I have a CMMG upper that won't work with an ARMS 40 BUIS - it just won't clamp firmly on it, and it works fine on other uppers.

Many uppers are out of spec in a way that they'll work fine with some gear, and not with others, depending on how the clamp is designed.

hawk1
06-01-2009, 7:45 AM
Are you certain of who made your carry handle?

I've read of some chinese junk being sold as a name brand.

domokun
06-01-2009, 9:03 AM
Before you blame 1 part.... did you isolate that it IS that part? ie. put that on multiple uppers? or have other handles on yours?

What make your upper? bottom-feeder? or premium factory stuff?

Who make this carry handle? bottom-feeder? or premium factory stuff? Or you don't even know?

As long as the sights zero, it's not really a problem, though I understand people wanting everything to be lined up properly.

There are 2 possibilities aside from the carry handle.

- The upper can be out of spec, as tonelar mentioned, which isn't as uncommon as you might think. Unfortunately, this is very hard to measure.

- The front sight could be canted, which is fairly common, and can be due to barrel timing or the FSB canted or not centered. Sometimes this can be eyeballed, other times not.

As Jicko suggests, try another BUIS or carry handle on your upper, and try your carry handle on another upper. That's the quickest way to narrow it down.

Let us know what kind of upper and carry handle they are.

Even good brand names can have problems - I have a CMMG upper that won't work with an ARMS 40 BUIS - it just won't clamp firmly on it, and it works fine on other uppers.

Many uppers are out of spec in a way that they'll work fine with some gear, and not with others, depending on how the clamp is designed.

RRA Upper.
CMMG Carry Handle.

The carry handle was purchased from a reputable local shop and clamps down firmly on the upper and does not move. I'll just take it in and get it looked at later this week. The front sight is NOT canted as I've had it checked and corrected for any canted front sight issues already.