PDA

View Full Version : Future of the Second Amendment

HotRails
05-31-2009, 7:45 PM
How do you feel about the future regarding our RKBA at this point in time?

HotRails
05-31-2009, 7:51 PM
Im somewhat optimistic. The Heller decision reaffirmed our RKBA and greatly increased demand of firearms/ammunition has sent a strong message to politicians that it is very much in their interest to stay away from this issue. :)

Saigon1965
05-31-2009, 7:53 PM
After Heller - It is very bright - I can't wait until these lawsuits hit prime time - Good times are ahead of us -

VegasND
05-31-2009, 8:05 PM
The future looks pretty good right now if we don't become complacent. I chose 'very optimistic' even though it's probably not quite that good.

1859sharps
05-31-2009, 8:09 PM
no cautiously optimistic option. so I went with the somewhat optimistic.

Heller is the first bit of hope for stemming the "tide"/slowing the momentum the anti's have built up in my life time.

The next couple years are critical. It is critical the moves made by those who support an individual's 2nd amendment rights be smart and with purpose.

These initial moves are what will shape the back and forth "battles" over 2nd amendment rights for the next several decades.

RRangel
05-31-2009, 8:16 PM
It's looking better than it has in many years. From the supreme court all the way to the 9th Circuit. Ten years ago how many of us ever thought it would happen this way? We couldn't touch an AR lower. If en banc is denied in the 9th Circuit for Nordyke things will be moving right along.

Window_Seat
05-31-2009, 8:16 PM
Very optimistic.

Heller and Nordyke were large strides in the efforts to win back RKBA in big areas.

Sykes, et all is a continuation of those large strides.

Studies that show GC isn't doing what the anti's thought are small victories that lead to action in favor of RKBA.

The NP's & DiFi's showing their lack of optimism (whether bluffing or otherwise) in the area of AWBs and other anti 2A legislation are what contribute to the future elimination of draconian bans and total LAC disarmament.

When it shows that RKBA groups are serious and organized, the anti's will soon have no other options when they run out of the ones they've wasted.

Erik.

7x57
05-31-2009, 8:30 PM
Poll results so far: 15/10/2/1/1. 25/29 expect at least some improvement. This is why Calguns is effective--gunnies who believe that we can win. What a change from the situation in most of the last forty years.

7x57

Solidmch
05-31-2009, 8:50 PM
I am pessimistic. I do not trust this President. I really worry about his SCOTUS picks in the future and the balance. I also fear our own homegrown idiots in Sac.

Crusader
05-31-2009, 9:08 PM
I have absolutely no doubt that one day firearms will be completely illegal for citizens. And as far as I see it, the only way that day will not come is if society collapses before then. It seems inevitable, given the historical march of all such democratic nations.

That doesn't mean I'm not going to fight as hard as I can to keep those rights though.

hoffmang
05-31-2009, 9:12 PM
As long as our 5 justices don't get hit by a bus, we'll turn the Second into something that's almost as expansive as the First.

-Gene

Gator Monroe
05-31-2009, 9:19 PM
If Obama goes after Firearms after he socializes medicine then the House & Senate will roll GOP in 10 !:thumbsup:

Legasat
05-31-2009, 10:26 PM
I feel strongly we will make some moderate advances. I also feel like the anti's are not going to sit still. Even if we make large advances, they will tax ammo to $5000 per round or something.

Hope for the best, but plan for and expect the worst. That way, you never get blind-sided.

Who knows, maybe I will be pleasantly surprised!!

BigDogatPlay
05-31-2009, 10:31 PM
The anti's will never give up. But with Heller already in the gear bag and a positive conclusion to Nordyke, the Chicago case becomes something of a slam dunk. Then we get to litigate what is and is not reasonable.

The future is bright... we have to stay focused on it, and keep moving forward even though we will suffer a setback or two.

DDT
05-31-2009, 10:34 PM
I think the timeframe is dependent upon the number of appointees Obama gets on SCOTUS but I believe that our 2A rights will continue to, generally, expand unless and until it is repealed.

lomalinda
05-31-2009, 10:38 PM
"The future is bright... we have to stay focused on it, and keep moving forward even though we will suffer a setback or two."

Key statement.

We HAVE to remain on guard for the rest of our ability to do so. It's been a hard realization for me to accept, but looking back over events that took place beginning before my lifetime, there have been concerted efforts to ban guns that often gained support from an uninformed public.

Due to Obama's election there's been a huge increase in public interest in firearms. DiFi, Obi, Schuma, et. al. have taken notice and their relative silence on the issue is evidence that they've gotten the message--for now.

All it will take will be another San Ysidro or Virginia Tech to get them harping on the issue. In the meantime, we need to continue to make strides, be they small (e.g. introducing newbies to the sport) or large (post-Nordyke suits).

Complacency is not what their silence should imply on their part. Our challenge is not to rest on our laurels but to make further inroads with regard to protection of the 2A.

hoffmang
05-31-2009, 10:52 PM
I think the timeframe is dependent upon the number of appointees Obama gets on SCOTUS but I believe that our 2A rights will continue to, generally, expand unless and until it is repealed.

It doesn't matter how many Supreme Court Justices Obama appoints as long as none of them replace any of the following: Scalia, Thomas, Alito, Roberts, Kennedy.

-Gene

DDT
05-31-2009, 10:58 PM
It doesn't matter how many Supreme Court Justices Obama appoints as long as none of them replace any of the following: Scalia, Thomas, Alito, Roberts, Kennedy.

Yes, I understand this.

Window_Seat
05-31-2009, 11:17 PM

-Gene

If something happens to any of these five during the next 7.5 years, then BAVA, and expect to hear lots of people say "The Founders are turning in their graves". If it happens, I'm off to Texas. :cool:

Erik.

nicki
05-31-2009, 11:21 PM
Right now we are on OFFENSE. As long as we are on OFFENSE, things will be bright.

Nicki

Glock22Fan
06-01-2009, 9:57 AM

-Gene

I'm not an actuary, but I suspect that the statistical probability of five people of their age all surviving to the end of Obama's presidency is pretty low.

If it weren't for that, I'd be very optimistic: as it is, I'll stay cautious.

elenius
06-01-2009, 11:02 AM
Also, do we know how pro-gun "our 5" are? They may agree that 2A is an individual right and incorporated, but how far will they really go with regard to "sensitive areas", school zones, right to carry, AWs, high caps, and so on?