PDA

View Full Version : Dirty Rifle!

HotRails
05-31-2009, 2:43 PM
I've shot ~400 rounds through my AK flat build without cleaning it, not a single jam yet! (dirty Wolf too) How long do you bet itll go before it jams due to carbon fowling?

:thumbsup:

eroberts88
05-31-2009, 2:45 PM
hahaha

ak's will survive through anything. I dont think my dad has ever cleaned his saigas..and we use wolf. They just keep going...they are the glocks of the assault rifle world

Futurecollector
05-31-2009, 3:00 PM
Darn I thought this was going to be a whole different thread! :43:

bigthaiboy
05-31-2009, 3:09 PM
Only 400rds? You're only just breaking in that rifle. I'm sure if you make sure the bolt rails never dry up of oil, you could shoot till next year without cleaning it, without any ill effect.

Richie Caketown
05-31-2009, 3:39 PM
were is the youtube pic of the guy whos AK caught fire and he still shot 7 drums of ammo through it

Grumpyoldretiredcop
05-31-2009, 4:02 PM
were is the youtube pic of the guy whos AK caught fire and he still shot 7 drums of ammo through it

eNAohtjG14c

Cal-Irish
05-31-2009, 4:16 PM
7,000 rounds of wolf, no cleaning only lube. Runs fine

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee52/j_rock001/px2.jpg

see this

cryptkeeper
05-31-2009, 4:32 PM
Man that's nasty.

Jpach
05-31-2009, 4:39 PM
eNAohtjG14c

Thats a bogus video. Its an airsoft gun. Notice that no brass is ever ejected and if you listen closely, you can hear the bbs rattle in the mag especially when it comes to the 3rd drum. Plus the flash is fake as crap too

johnthomas
05-31-2009, 4:58 PM
Why would anyone not clean a weapon that may save their life one day?
My Rifle (The Creed of a United States Marine)

This is my rifle.

There are many like it, but this one is MINE.

My rifle is my best friend. It is my life.

I must master it as I must master my life.

My rifle without me is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless.

I must fire my rifle true.

I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me.

I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will...

My rifle and myself know that what counts in war is not the rounds we fire,

the noise of our bursts, nor the smoke we make.

We know it is the hits that count. We will hit...

My rifle is human, even as I, because it is my life.

Thus, I will learn it as a brother.

I will learn its weaknesses, its strengths, its parts, its accessories,
its sights, and its barrel.

I will ever guard it against the ravages of weather and damage.

I will keep my rifle clean and ready, even as I am clean and ready.

We will become part of each other. We will...

Before God I swear this creed.

My rifle and myself are the defenders of my country.

We are the masters of our enemy.

We are the saviors of my life.

So be it, until there is no enemy, but PEACE.

-- Maj Gen WH Rupertus

ERdept
05-31-2009, 5:08 PM
Thats a bogus video. Its an airsoft gun. Notice that no brass is ever ejected and if you listen closely, you can hear the bbs rattle in the mag especially when it comes to the 3rd drum. Plus the flash is fake as crap too

Im not trying to fight you on this, but what about the recoil, he's obviously pushed back and so is the gun and the dirt kicked up?

Just asking to get to the bottom of this.

Also, I think the gun was painted with a epoxy type paint that under that much heat, would burn.

Anyone know the reality of this?

GoingPro
05-31-2009, 5:12 PM
yeah, i wouldnt be able to take a gun to the range and come home and not clean it. . . i love cleaning my firearms its relaxing

HotRails
05-31-2009, 5:14 PM

Your right I don't see any brass being ejected, but its clear that dust is being kicked up by projectiles.

nicoroshi
05-31-2009, 5:16 PM
yeah, i wouldnt be able to take a gun to the range and come home and not clean it. . . i love cleaning my firearms its relaxing

Agreed. Although if I fire 100 rounds or less through the AK it gets a quickie wipe down cleaning instead of the normal detailed cleaning.
My DI AR on the other hand gets cleaned (especially the back of the bolt) no matter how many rounds I fire.

JeffM
05-31-2009, 5:21 PM
had a couple thou through my flat build before I cleaned it, and I only did so because I fired some corrosive yugo through it.

Jpach
06-01-2009, 9:58 PM
Im not trying to fight you on this, but what about the recoil, he's obviously pushed back and so is the gun and the dirt kicked up?

Also, I think the gun was painted with a epoxy type paint that under that much heat, would burn.

I believe they have gas operated airsoft AKs that have bolts that actually cycle. As for the perceived recoil, it could be as fake as the flash. And for the dust, it wasnt that much, shoot at the ground with a 7.62x39 and you will see that there is much more dust and if it hits an object it will usually launch it into the air with good force.

I recently bump fired my AK in Mammoth and man, that 7.62x39 wreaked havok on that pile of household appliances. And dirt :p

CSACANNONEER
06-01-2009, 10:04 PM

Obviously you have never shot a FA AK. There would be a lot more muzzle climb and recoil if he was really firing a FA firearm. That video was done by someone over 30. Any five year old with a computer could have done a better job editting it.

DB2
06-01-2009, 10:24 PM
You'll never have to clean it. They are a few people here, that saw mine get "fixed" by pouring hand fulls of DIRT in the receiver. It worked!

JeffM
06-01-2009, 10:28 PM
You'll never have to clean it. They are a few people here, that saw mine get "fixed" by pouring hand fulls of DIRT in the receiver. It worked!

Dirt is the best polishing compound for an AK action. Smooths things right out. :thumbsup:

scotthmt
06-01-2009, 10:49 PM

I dont know whether or not its fake, but I dont think you've ever handled a fully loaded drum before, when the rounds move around they sound just like that.

luchador768
06-01-2009, 11:00 PM
I had 1200 through my Maadi before I cleaned it. No jams I just felt bad having such a dirty gun!

Jpach
06-01-2009, 11:05 PM
I dont know whether or not its fake, but I dont think you've ever handled a fully loaded drum before, when the rounds move around they sound just like that.

I dont think youve ever handled an airsoft hi-cap mag before, when the BBs move around they sound EXACTLY like that. Not somewhat, not just, not almost, but EXACTLY. Its a sound of many little things moving around, not the bullet and case head rattling and touching the metal internals of a drum.

Either way we cant prove it, but after reviewing most little things about the video and having shot full auto guns before (including AKs), I will put my money on it being a fake

Solidsnake87
06-01-2009, 11:43 PM
I'm at $5-7K rounds in my Romy G. All I do is wipe the piston and not feed it hollow points.

enchantor
06-02-2009, 12:56 AM
I dont think youve ever handled an airsoft hi-cap mag before, when the BBs move around they sound EXACTLY like that. Not somewhat, not just, not almost, but EXACTLY. Its a sound of many little things moving around, not the bullet and case head rattling and touching the metal internals of a drum.

Either way we cant prove it, but after reviewing most little things about the video and having shot full auto guns before (including AKs), I will put my money on it being a fake

I just made a little movie on my digital camera (LOL!). Maybe it'll help settle this debate. Personally I think the movie is real. Just my $ .02

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m271/fricketech/ak%20rattle/th_P1010002.jpg (http://s106.photobucket.com/albums/m271/fricketech/ak%20rattle/?action=view&current=P1010002.flv)

Jpach
06-02-2009, 12:59 AM
What? I didnt hear that... hahahaha :18:

enchantor
06-02-2009, 1:01 AM
Also if you look closely sometimes you can see the brass, the camera they are using just doesn't capture most of it.

Plisk
06-02-2009, 1:15 AM
I just made a little movie on my digital camera (LOL!). Maybe it'll help settle this debate. Personally I think the movie is real. Just my $ .02

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m271/fricketech/ak%20rattle/th_P1010002.jpg (http://s106.photobucket.com/albums/m271/fricketech/ak%20rattle/?action=view&current=P1010002.flv)

It's the Russian moraka!

On the subject of the video... I've handled Airsoft drum mags a lot and after hearing this video.... It's 50/50 from my point of view.

jumbopanda
06-02-2009, 2:22 AM

99.9% sure it's real. I've handled airsoft mags and AK drums before, and the drums do sound like that.

oogabooga
06-02-2009, 2:57 AM
I say real. If you've ever shot an airsoft gun into even the most fine dirt, it won't kick up that much dirt. I haven't seen airsoft tech within the past 3-4 years or so (well the video is way older than that anyways) but there is no gas operated airsoft AK (or rifle for that matter) that recoils that much. The guy shooting falls forward after the mags run dry, and I doubt he's good enough to fake it.

There's also no external source if this truly is a gas operated airsoft AK. Even the mags with gas stored internally would sputter and be inconsistent. (If you know anything about airsoft GBB's, you'll know of the mag cooling problem). Hell, I don't even recall a gas AK that has drum mags with internal gas. (Gas blow back rifles in general in airsoft are relatively rare).

For the not seeing casings argument, it's the camera. If the camera was good enough to see casings (which it's not), you would be able to see the stream of BBs if it were really airsoft. Not even the most powerful airsoft guns can shoot faster than the eye can see. The shots hitting in the video are really sporadic, too. If you've shot a full auto airsoft gun, you'd make a perfect trail of dirt being kicked up (think action movies when a perfect line of bullets are "chasing" the hero as he's running away).

The gun guys (not all) calling this airsoft probably know as much about airsoft as the "airsoft kiddies" know about guns.

Now whether or not the AK firing off rounds was the source of the fire, now that's up for debate :p

JJ1911
06-02-2009, 4:36 AM
The AK platform is truly remarkable in its ability to operate under harsh conditions. Field strip one and you can see why. I clean my Saiga, but honestly it comforts me knowing that if I bring it into the wilderness, I won't have to baby it and it will continue to fire.

dune870demon
06-02-2009, 6:52 AM
yea the sound of the BBs against the inside of the drum will trick you, so beware. and if u here a rattling in the gun, well obviously thats bad.

WeekendWarrior
06-02-2009, 9:47 AM
eNAohtjG14c

That is one of the most badass videos I have ever seen. We like 'em dirty on Calguns!

BroncoBob
06-02-2009, 9:54 AM
You've got to pack it with mud or it doesn't count

Wyseguy
06-02-2009, 10:00 AM
Hotrails,
Glad to see you are getting some use out of your AK. As you can see, you can fire a LOT of rounds through it before you have to clean it. I clean mine after about every 250 rounds, but only because I like to, not because it needs it.
Congrats on the build, it looks like you did it right!

scobun
06-02-2009, 10:12 AM
That is one of the most badass videos I have ever seen. We like 'em dirty on Calguns!

That has to be real because the thing hasn't melted, the fire is obviously legit.

HotRails
06-02-2009, 11:28 AM
Hotrails,
Glad to see you are getting some use out of your AK. As you can see, you can fire a LOT of rounds through it before you have to clean it. I clean mine after about every 250 rounds, but only because I like to, not because it needs it.
Congrats on the build, it looks like you did it right!

Thanks Wyseguy! Couldnt have done it without your bending jig so once again thanks for that!