PDA

View Full Version : Proof Of Service

Cali-V
05-31-2009, 2:23 PM
Hey Guys...
I have a quick question... I'm selling something on gun brokers, and a guy wants to buy it ans asked for a service persons discount,

He says' "im currently in afghanistan for about 3 more months ,and i am in army reserves back in cali" what should I as for as proof he is on the level...

Times are tough all around so I want to help, but I just don't want to be hustled...

Thanks for everything...
Carry On...

Manic Moran
05-31-2009, 2:29 PM
Tell him to email you, and reply to his AKO account. It's not a guarantee, but there's a military connection somewhere if he has one.

NTM

Matt C
05-31-2009, 2:38 PM
Yup, get him to email you from his AKO, then anyone with an AKO account can check the username to make sure he is not a contractor or something. If you PM it to me I'll do it.

Cali-V
05-31-2009, 2:41 PM
Will do...
Thanks

wxc96
05-31-2009, 3:15 PM
just ask him to email a copy of his orders assigning him to A-stan, he should have a TCS orders (temporary change of station) orders.

Manic Moran
05-31-2009, 7:55 PM
In fairness, I don't have my orders on digits.

NTM

Cali-V
05-31-2009, 8:42 PM
I haven't heard anything back since requesting an e-mail from his AKO account... We'll see...

wxc96
05-31-2009, 10:09 PM
In fairness, I don't have my orders on digits.

NTM

check your "IPERMS" spelling???

Manic Moran
06-01-2009, 11:14 AM
Fair point, I've not checked iPERMS in a while. (Don't much trust it, frankly)

NTM

penguin156
06-02-2009, 11:24 AM
iPERMS . . . AKO account . . . WTF? Does everyone in the military have this stuff? I'm active Marine infantry and I've never heard of iPERMS or an AKO account. When I was in Iraq, I used my Gmail account when ever I had some internet time.

If he's capable of getting pictures of things (like his orders, which I never had when I was deployed), why not have him take a pic of his military I.D.? That should have everything that you would ever need to know about him including status and pay grade. Either that, or tell him that his job doesn't entitle him to any type of discount especially seeing as how the economy doesn't effect us military guys at all.

Cali-V
06-02-2009, 11:27 AM
Not to worry... He never responded...
I sold it to someone else...

Manic Moran
06-04-2009, 6:22 AM
I'm active Marine infantry and I've never heard of iPERMS or an AKO account

Don't know if the Navy uses iPERMS, but you should have a DKO account. The Navy has an AKO equivalent, but I think it's been integrated into DKO.

NTM

SDJim
06-04-2009, 8:06 AM
iPERMS . . . AKO account . . . WTF? Does everyone in the military have this stuff? I'm active Marine infantry and I've never heard of iPERMS or an AKO account.Your AKO equivalent is MARNET. The the AKO system has more features / capability than NKO (Navy Knowledge Online) or MARNET.

Darklyte27
06-04-2009, 8:30 AM
ask for some opium jk
picture of his ID card?..

Decoligny
06-04-2009, 10:32 AM
Not supposed to take pictures of Military I.D. cards.
Not supposed to photocopy Military I.D. cards.
Way too easy for "the enemy" to photoshop one of their own and get access to a Military installation.

This has been your daily OPSEC briefing.

goathead
06-04-2009, 7:19 PM
Way too easy for "the enemy" to photoshop one of their own and get access to a Military installation.

the army is the same way

yock
06-06-2009, 5:58 PM
if he has internet he can send you a copy of an LES make sure to cover up SSN in microsoft paint. (all computers have paint.)

mattman
06-06-2009, 9:00 PM

Not to mention its got your SSN on there. Military ID's are a great target for ID theft.

yock
06-07-2009, 6:16 PM
SSN is on the back

yeah 100 posts!

steelrain82
08-28-2009, 11:40 PM
i know this post is 2 months old but in the units i was in we never had marnet. the only people that had marnet were the higher ups and maybe the desk jockies, so if anyone evercomes across this again not everyone has those accounts