PDA

View Full Version : Barrel Cleaning -- Any special considerations for SS barrels?

skatter
05-31-2009, 11:38 AM
I am building my first AR15, which is my first rifle, and was hoping to get some advice on putting together a cleaning kit. I have chosen the LaRue Stealth upper assembly, which utilizes an SS barrel, and after doing numerous searches I'm still not quite sure on how to proceed. I've read contradicting messages on different forums about some solvents causing damage to SS barrels, or some brushes being too abrasive, etc. Anyways, any advice is appreciated.

Rod or Cable?
I've read good things about both Otis cables and Dewey rods. Is one better than the other, or are they equally as good?

Brushes?
Do they need to be made of any particular metal, or will anything from Otis made for .223/5.56 work? What about nylon brushes? Do I need both?

Solvents?
It seems Break Free has a good following, are there any considerations for SS barrels, as opposed to chrome lined? Does Break Free double as gun oil, or do I need another oil for that?

I've read about copper solvents (Sweet's 7.62 seems highly rated), but I also read that there could be barrel damaging reactions when used in SS barrels -- is this true? Do I even need a copper solvent, or will cleaning w/ Break Free after every shooting be enough?

Patches?
Are these pretty much all the same?

Kits?
Are there any kits that are recommended that will include good quality cables/rods/brushes? I've looked at Otis kits, and they seem like a complete solution.

Have I missed anything?

God Bless The Mauser
05-31-2009, 11:50 AM
Rod or Cable?-I have both but I like my Gunslick cleaning kit that has a cable.

Brushes?-I just use what came with the kit.

Solvents?- Breakfree CLP is one of the best things for cleaning, I use it all the time.

Patches?- The square ones won't work with the pointed jag on a cleaning rod, you will need to trim them to fit the bore, I found that out the hard way. Find circle patches if your using a pointed jag.

Kits?- As stated above I have a Gunslick cleaning kit and it works great, I would have got the Otis kit but they didn't have it in stock for .223

tefunk
05-31-2009, 12:12 PM
Rod or Cable?-I have both but I like my Gunslick cleaning kit that has a cable.

Brushes?-I just use what came with the kit.

Solvents?- Breakfree CLP is one of the best things for cleaning, I use it all the time.

Patches?- The square ones won't work with the pointed jag on a cleaning rod, you will need to trim them to fit the bore, I found that out the hard way. Find circle patches if your using a pointed jag.

Kits?- As stated above I have a Gunslick cleaning kit and it works great, I would have got the Otis kit but they didn't have it in stock for .223

Which Gunslick kit do you recommend? The Snap-N-Pull or the AR Pull-Through?

http://www.gunslick.com/products/cleaning_kits.aspx

God Bless The Mauser
05-31-2009, 12:22 PM
I bought the Snap-N-Pull.

bridgeport
05-31-2009, 2:33 PM
I use a dewey rod, two for each caliber, one with the jag on and the other with the brush on. It is important to wipe the rod down each time to remove the
fouling from it... and spray your brushes down with carb cleaner after each cleaning pass so as not to re-introduce dirt into the bore. I brush and then use
a couple of solvent soaked patches to clear the bore of the debris the brushes
scour off, and repeat until the patches come out clean. This process can take several passes depending upon the condition of your bore. After all carbon fouling has been removed I go to copper fouling removal using appropriate solvents. If you think your bore is really clean, try running a clean, solvent soaked brush through it a couple of times and then a clean patch. If the patch
is dirty your bore is not clean... if the patch comes out clean on the first pass after brushing.... then you are really clean.
It helps to use a strong flashlight, like a maglight, to take a really good look at the bore from the muzzle end... look for evidence of fouling... especially
copper on the rifling..... it is very important for accuracy to remove this. As for patches, you should wrap your patches around the jag for best results.
the pointy end patches that you push through on the end of the jag are ok for loose work, but the wrap around long type are far better.

skatter
05-31-2009, 2:57 PM
After all carbon fouling has been removed I go to copper fouling removal using appropriate solvents. If you think your bore is really clean, try running a clean, solvent soaked brush through it a couple of times and then a clean patch. If the patch is dirty your bore is not clean... if the patch comes out clean on the first pass after brushing.... then you are really clean.
Is there any truth to the claim that certain solvents may damage a non-chrome lined barrel?

bridgeport
05-31-2009, 3:36 PM
Most stainless steel gun barrels are made of stainless alloy, 416R, which is a high chromium
martensitic alloy also considered a "free machining" alloy suitable for
high tensile use. As such, and considering that the active ingredient in copper
removing solvents is ammonia, there should be no problem, as the stainless
will be less susceptible to corrosion from the base (ammonia) than any standard carbon steel will ever be. Copper remover should be swabbed out
after a few minutes anyways, as it is only left on long enough to dissolve the copper. I use shooters choice on my barrels, stainless and carbon.
Generally speaking I stay away from stainless steel BRUSHES. As a rule, I try to use only metal brushes that are softer than the actual barrel alloy
itself, to reduce wear. Any metal can be damaged by excessive exposure to certain chemicals. Most bore solvents are specifically designed to be used
by the average shooting enthusiast, read and follow the instructions on the bottle, or call the manufacturer if you have any questions regarding a specific
product.

Ahhnother8
05-31-2009, 8:12 PM
Rod or Cable?
Carbon Fiber rod

Brushes?
Bronze core brass brush

Solvents?
Wipe-Out
Shooter's Choice
Butch's Bore Shine

Patches?