PDA

View Full Version : AR10 mag catch won't catch...

DRAB_81
05-31-2009, 8:38 AM
I just assembled my N6 lower with a bullet button, and I can't get the mags to stick. How far does the BB nut need to be threaded down the mag catch screw? I have tried when the nut was flush with the end of the screw, and when the nut was threaded down until about 1/8" of the screw was past the nut. If pics will help, what pics do you need to see?

munkeeboi
05-31-2009, 10:15 AM
try an ar15 mag catch, it's a bit shorter.

JTROKS
05-31-2009, 10:20 AM
You should turn it until you get enough spring tension to keep the mag in place then give in about another half a turn.

DRAB_81
05-31-2009, 10:53 AM
I'll try turning it a little more. I can push it it enough to catch the mag now, but when I release it, it won't catch the next time I put the mag in.

JTROKS
05-31-2009, 11:24 AM
I wonder if the bullet button is firmly seated yet? Maybe as you're turning and working the spring it keeps seating the button deeper releasing the spring tension? Is this your first AR build with a bullet button?

munkeeboi
05-31-2009, 11:51 AM
Now that I think about it, I had to shave off the edges of the armalite mag catch on my n6 build. Try playing with the mag catch to see if there are any spots that are catching onto the receiver. It sounds like the problem I had where it works once and it fails to return because of some metal to metal contact.

in the rush to fill orders, it sucks to see the QC go down.

DRAB_81
05-31-2009, 1:13 PM
Now that I think about it, I had to shave off the edges of the armalite mag catch on my n6 build. Try playing with the mag catch to see if there are any spots that are catching onto the receiver. It sounds like the problem I had where it works once and it fails to return because of some metal to metal contact.

in the rush to fill orders, it sucks to see the QC go down.

That's probably what is going on. What did you use to shave the edges down?

munkeeboi
05-31-2009, 1:19 PM
used a dremel tool to round out the ends

JTROKS
05-31-2009, 1:47 PM
If you don't want to spend that much money for a Dremel you can use a 1 inch medium metal file that you can buy for about $10. Go slow when fitting it, you can also use a Sharpie to mark the area that needs work to spot the high spots requiring metal removal. With the few bullet buttons I've installed in my ARs and friends' I learned some are tapered the wrong way, as the top being small becoming larger at the bottom.

munkeeboi
05-31-2009, 2:32 PM
If you don't want to spend that much money for a Dremel you can use a 1 inch medium metal file that you can buy for about $10. Go slow when fitting it, you can also use a Sharpie to mark the area that needs work to spot the high spots requiring metal removal. With the few bullet buttons I've installed in my ARs and friends' I learned some are tapered the wrong way, as the top being small becoming larger at the bottom.

Yes, any file will work....but, if the problem was the same as mine, it's a problem with the armalite mag catch and the opening on the noveske receiver, not the BB. The armalite mag catch is not completely rounded off at the edges and it "sticks" in the noveske lower.

richrmi
05-31-2009, 10:57 PM
Yes, I had the same problem a couple of weeks ago, also with a Noveske lower. The radiused ends of the Armalite mag catch were the problem. The mag catch was not manufactured properly and would not freely engage in the slot due to interference with the incorrectly finished ends. It also wouldn't work in a standard .223 lower. I thought about filing or power sanding the part but that would have removed the finish. What worked for me was a standard mag catch with the BB. As a side benefit, the threaded shaft of the standard mag catch was just a bit shorter which made for a better fit with the BB. Much easier than modifying the Armalite part and no loss of surface finish. YMMV.

Rich

DRAB_81
06-01-2009, 2:58 PM
I knocked down the edges of the mag catch with a flat file, and presto... problem solved. Thanks for all the help, here's some crappy iphone pics to show my progress.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c297/rabara9/ar10a4.jpg

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c297/rabara9/ar10a42.jpg

JPB
06-01-2009, 3:55 PM
I've tried using an AR15 mag catch(actually, that's what came in my "AR10" LPK), but it would always drop the mag under recoil. You have to use the AR10 catch. I echo all of the comments about the radiused edges on the AR10 catch. You may have to stone them down a little.