PDA

View Full Version : Shipping to manufacturer or gunsmith

10-05-2005, 6:46 AM
I see repeaded suggestions on the forum not to use USPS when, say, returning a revolver to the manufacturur for warranty service. Can anyone explain why to use/not use the various shipping alternatives? Legal? Risk of loss? Policy? etc...

USPS
UPS
FedEx

imported_EOD Guy
10-05-2005, 6:55 AM
It is a violation of postal regulations for a nonlicensee to mail a handgun. With a few exceptions, they can only be mailed between dealers and/or manufacturers.

bwiese
10-05-2005, 9:59 AM
It's quite all right to send a rifle or (rifle) receiver to manufacturer or FFL gunsmith via US Mail or any other common carrier.

But non-FFLs may not ship handguns via US Mail. (However, an FFL can ship a handgun to another FFL via US mail.)

I have shipped/recieved several rifles via US mail with no problems. I usually print out the postal regs from USPS website in case the counter girl panics. They go look up their own regs and it may take an extra few minutes for their heads to stop spinning, but they will ship it.

You must declare to carrier, no matter who is the carrier, that the package you ship contains a firearm. The carrier can't do anything like putting a big yellow "GUN" ('Steal me!') sticker on package. Don't just try to declare it as 'metal fittings' or some similar nonsense.

The other carriers require handguns to be shipped overnight due to the fact they can't trust their employees so they try to minimize the time packages are 'in system'.

Shipping firearms via FedEx or UPS requires you to go to a regular company shipping offices; the stations run by Kinko's (FedEx) and MailBoxUSA (for UPS), as well as other small contract stations (i.e., in a mall) do not handle 'hazmat-related' items,

Frankly I trust FedEx over UPS esp for small items, even when sent overnight. UPS warehouses are rumored to be a den of thieves protected by union bureacratic rules. I do notice that folks who repeatedly buy/sell/trade expensive watches on EBay (Rolex, Patek, etc.) ship via FedEx.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

SanSacto
06-07-2008, 9:01 PM
How about any proof or receipt that you sent your rifle? If I am shipping a rifle to a gunsmith here in California should I get any proof that I did this? Also the gunsmith can ship the rifle directly back to me, correct?

leelaw
06-07-2008, 10:03 PM
How about any proof or receipt that you sent your rifle? If I am shipping a rifle to a gunsmith here in California should I get any proof that I did this? Also the gunsmith can ship the rifle directly back to me, correct?

You'll get a receipt with a tracking number on it. That should be proof enough that you shipped off the rifle.

The FFL/smith may ship the non-AW/.50BMG rifle directly back to you.

motorhead
06-08-2008, 8:10 AM
request delivery confirmation. then you can track online.