PDA

View Full Version : Norinco Mdl. 97 Trench Gun

Mike M.
02-10-2005, 4:57 PM
Hi Guys, Looking at buying the norinco model 97 trench gun, anyone out there have or use one? Just curious what you think of it. Sorry if this has been covered before but I tried search and nothing came up. Mike

Mike M.
02-10-2005, 4:57 PM
Hi Guys, Looking at buying the norinco model 97 trench gun, anyone out there have or use one? Just curious what you think of it. Sorry if this has been covered before but I tried search and nothing came up. Mike

maxicon
02-10-2005, 8:31 PM
I played with one at a shop a little while back, having convinced myself I wanted one. I managed to whack the top of my strong hand twice with the slide (or whatever you call the part that cocks the hammer).

The first time, I told myself I'd be more careful; the second time, it hurt like hell and nearly drew blood, so I handed the gun back.

Lots of folks have no problem with them, and like them a lot for the money, but my hand size and grip just aren't right for it. YMMV, as always!

max

BigRich
02-10-2005, 11:18 PM
The bolt/hand contact is a feature true to the original 1897 Browning design. You have to be careful. They also slam fire. I have one of the Trench guns from Norinco but have not fired it yet (if ever). I bought it because it is cool and an original is $$$$$. I found it to be stiff and slightly rough but it could be that it is new and still has Communist Chinese factory grit in it. I have been working the action and it seems to be smoothing a little. I am not in a hurry to shoot this one. My original 97 Riot gun has a narrow, hard butt plate and is not the most comfortable thing to shoot.

Steelghost
03-20-2005, 6:53 PM
I have one, its a great shotgun and its not bad on the eyes either. I put about 200 shells though it fine. However the last time I shot it I used some 3 inch slugs at the end of the day and the extractor was dislodged from the gun. I have put it back in and I think everything is ok. Anyone know of anything else besides the extractor could have fallen out. like a retaining clip of some kind? I dont know these shotguns too well but I understand they are identical functionaly to the originals.
Dont mean to hijack this thread! Anyways I reccomend the shotgun if you are into the style just dont shoot and shells over 2 3/4 inches.