PDA

View Full Version : Did I over pay for my LMT lower?

paolenz
05-30-2009, 8:52 PM
I got an LMT Defender 2000 for $800. It already had the BB installed, stage 2 trigger and a STD stock. I have an LMT upper so naturally, I chose to wait for an LMT lower, which are becoming more and more difficult to find cause most of the dealers have been out of stock for LMT products. I have been to other sites, gunbroker and some out of state FFL dealer. However, the price they had was about 200 dollars less for the same configuration, but this does not include the BB, though. I figured that after everything has been added up, I would be expecting to pay at least close to that amount; considering the FFL transfer fees, DROS, shipping, installation of the BB. What do you guys think?

Ducman
05-30-2009, 8:57 PM
Sorry to give you the Bad news.

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/manufacturer&manufacturer=24&pagenumber=2

ETA: same configuration is $480 and they sell BB also.

Jicko
05-30-2009, 9:02 PM
Depending on WHEN the OP got his.... 3mo. ago, that's THE going price... but supply has come back.... I've got mine, w/ new version SOPMOD, @ MSRP 2 weeks ago... and now even Rainier has them...

makav3li
05-30-2009, 9:09 PM
just be happy with your lower. i always hate it after i buy something and i find it less. you took a chance at the time. it could have went either way, up or down depending on the law.

paolenz
05-30-2009, 9:09 PM
I jost got this about three weeks ago when supply where dwindling and Obama's threat of the 2nd amendment became more and more a reality by the day. I guess I just panicked!

I figured out the cost of transferring it to an FFL dealer and how much he charges for long rifle as well. Plus the shipping, and how much he charges for the installation of the BB before taking possession of the rifle

Ishoot
05-30-2009, 9:11 PM
Damn..sucks overpaying for something. Just try getting a deal the next time. :thumbsup: You win some, you lose some.

Ducman
05-30-2009, 9:17 PM
:thumbsup: You win some, you lose some.

Yup :thumbsup:

Just do your homework better next time. Rainier is GTG. Shipping is only $6 from them and support as Kommifornians, he actually sells BB for $25 (free Installtion) sorry to rub it in, but it is what it is.
and also another piece of advice, don't get carried w/ all the FUD nowadays.

deez
05-30-2009, 9:25 PM
Chalk it up as a learning experience.

It'll balance itself out when you stumble upon the deal of a lifetime. :)

high_revs
05-30-2009, 9:27 PM
to OP, you thought these were all going to go away, no? so you may have overpaid. on the flipside, if obama actually got these things banned or what not, then would you say you'd be glad that you (over)paid for it? so just be happy you got it. no sense in kicking yourself for not waiting as it there was a slim chance it could've gone the other way.

05-30-2009, 9:27 PM
Where did you buy it...

MrNiceGuy
05-30-2009, 9:29 PM
I overpaid by $100.
Got it 3 months ago.
But I wanted it asap.
And there were none to be had so I was willing to pay whatever.

So depending WHEN and HOW BAD you wanted one, that's the price you will pay.

Don't sweat it, what's done is done.
Just enjoy your awesome and complete LMT rifle.

eaglemike
05-30-2009, 9:30 PM
By the time you'd get the Ranier version into the state, with dealer transfer, DROS, and tax, you'd be over $600..... So not too bad. RifleGear was selling the standard trigger LMT assembly with Sopmod stock for $499 plus tax and DROS, nobody was squaking or quoting online deals..... :)
all the best,
Mike

Ducman
05-30-2009, 9:39 PM
By the time you'd get the Ranier version into the state, with dealer transfer, DROS, and tax, you'd be over $600..... So not too bad. RifleGear was selling the standard trigger LMT assembly with Sopmod stock for $499 plus tax and DROS, nobody was squaking or quoting online deals..... :)
all the best,
Mike

Let's do the math

$480 LMT Lower w/ 2 stage
25 Transfer fee/ BSP in Riverside
35 DROS
25 BB
7 Shipping
Total $572 great Deal IMO

Jicko
05-30-2009, 9:50 PM
The thing is... riflegear do not have it in stock at this very minute, and rainier do...

paolenz
05-30-2009, 9:51 PM
Well, at least I am contributing to the California economy!!!:(:(:(:(

eaglemike
05-30-2009, 9:52 PM
Let's do the math

$480 LMT Lower w/ 2 stage
25 Transfer fee/ BSP in Riverside
35 DROS
25 BB
7 Shipping
Total $572 great Deal IMO
What's the tax rate again???? You can get shipping for $7????? :)

eaglemike
05-30-2009, 9:57 PM
The thing is... riflegear do not have it in stock at this very minute, and rainier do...
My point was: the LMT assembles that RifleGear was selling were a "lesser" setup, for more $$ than Ranier, and no one was on here squaking........

Stuff is worth what someone pays for it. I've paid too much at times, and most people have. IMHO there is an subset of members on this forum that think anything online is a better deal. Some of them were saying to buy $125 lowers online last weekend, when CWS was selling LAR lowers for $109 plus tax and DROS. Sometimes it seems like they delight in looking for a way to always show a new guy he should have done it another way......

The OP got a superior product. OP, just get your $$$ worth of use from it, and be happy.
all the best,
Mike

Ducman
05-30-2009, 11:02 PM
What's the tax rate again???? You can get shipping for $7????? :)

Since when did you pay tax for out of state purchase??????? :eek:

yup, you pay $7 for shipping no matter what weight or total amount.check their website and they are sponsor here in case you didn't know.

ETA: my bad, it's $7.95 :rolleyes:
Shipping

Flat Rate Shipping of $7.95 regardless of size, weight or location!

Rainier Arms, LLC usually ships the next business day using standard USPS airmail, USPS priority mail, or UPS. A shipping provider is selected based on size, contents & value of the product being shipped at Rainier Arms, LLC discretion.

Depending on the value of the product being shipped, a signature may be required to receive the product. A tracking number will be provided by email. Please note that USPS tracking is very limited and may not show the progress of the shipment until delivered. Even if nothing is updated in the system, the package is usually on its way to you.

If you need expedited shipping, please contact us by email or by phone after you place your order. Actual shipping costs will be charged for expedited shipping.

Rainier Arms, LLC ships to all 50 states in the US including Alaska & HI. We also ship to Guam.

Please note: Insurance is not included. To purchase insurance for your package, you must notify us by phone after the order is placed.

bubbapug1
05-30-2009, 11:13 PM
Rifle Gear was selling them (complete lower with BB) for around $450.00 a few months back, but PVTRYAN bought them all....

X-NewYawker
05-30-2009, 11:19 PM
Don't feel too bad. When Sotomayer becomes a SC Justice, there will be a whole NEW round of gun control fear, and what you paid will look reasonable

IsaacGlass
05-31-2009, 1:06 AM
I jost got this about three weeks ago when supply where dwindling and Obama's threat of the 2nd amendment became more and more a reality by the day. I guess I just panicked!

I figured out the cost of transferring it to an FFL dealer and how much he charges for long rifle as well. Plus the shipping, and how much he charges for the installation of the BB before taking possession of the rifle

Sorry, live and learn. Panic buys will usually cost you more.

05-31-2009, 1:26 AM
The simple answer is YES.

IsaacGlass
05-31-2009, 1:28 AM
The simple answer is YES.

For you maybe a simple Yes will do, but just like you I have opinion. The last time I used a simple answer you try and called me out on it and couldnt figure what I meant
and now you want to tell me how to answer on a public forum, go figure?

My apologizes to 5968, for jumping the gun and over reacting. I've been a little too trigger happy lately.

glockwise2000
05-31-2009, 7:32 AM
Don't even think that you overpaid for it. Just think that it would become a very nice rifle. But seriously, it is overpriced.

eaglemike
05-31-2009, 7:42 AM
Since when did you pay tax for out of state purchase??????? :eek:

yup, you pay $7 for shipping no matter what weight or total amount.check their website and they are sponsor here in case you didn't know.

ETA: my bad, it's $7.95 :rolleyes:
You are supposed to pay state sales tax on this. On parts that are shipped directly to you, the state hasn't made a lot of noise (that I know of) about getting that money, YET. When the parts pass through a retailers hands, this can change. They are SUPPOSED to collect the state sales tax unless there is evidence it's been paid. This topic has been much discussed on this forum. My post here doesn't mean I agree with the policy, but it is there, and some FFL's do comply with it. It's a situation that can cause issues down the road.

Bottom line, if the purchase complies with the law, it does go over $600.

skkeeter
05-31-2009, 8:27 AM
Who cares, it's your money. Please just don't do it again. Purchases like this promote the price increases. I figure every one is allowed to have one luxury purchase and that's it. Now be a little more patient for your next purchases. Congrats on a fine lower. Please, oh please get a Sopmod for it.

jeffyboy
05-31-2009, 8:46 AM
Live and learn...the short of it is that you over paid. Going forward you do some research and you ask questions, either here or on other boards. If I was you I would have order from Rainer or anyone else where the cost was relatively low, even though it might have been on back-order...waited.....and saved a few $$$ for ammo

raw24
05-31-2009, 8:57 AM
My Math:

455.00 (From Rainier)
25.00 (BB)
7.95 (S&H)
487.95 (Sub Total)
40.88 (BOE Use Tax 8.5%)
50.00 (Transfer Fee)
25.00 (DROS)
603.83 Total

You paid $800.00
Avail Now$603.83

You overpaid by $196.17 Sorry:(

JTROKS
05-31-2009, 9:26 AM
Better to have and not need than to need and not have. If you bought it as an investment then that's how investments go sometimes. If you bought it because you wanted an AR just in case the current administration of our Gov't is to ban them then be happy you got it. Panic buys can go either way.

Look at it this way, you got yours and I'm still waiting on my AR-10 uppers.

fullspeed1
05-31-2009, 9:28 AM
If you have to ask, then yes you did.....

enchantor
05-31-2009, 9:32 AM
:beatdeadhorse5:

TZL
05-31-2009, 9:46 AM
as long as you are happy with the AR, you didn't overpay then.....

BigBamBoo
05-31-2009, 9:48 AM

swerv512
05-31-2009, 10:06 AM
anything bought within the last year = overpaid
i was at teh vallejo show and saw lowers i bought for $190 a few months back selling for $110 from the same dealer.... was i mad, thinking i got gouged??? not at all. i'm happy that i bought them when i did at the price i did because no one can predict the market.... they might have jumped up another $50 or $100 but they didnt--- oh well.