PDA

View Full Version : Orange county Sheriffs range anyone check it out?

Krusher
06-20-2005, 1:51 PM
I am debating on taking my 22 out for some testing after new firing pin, but I wonder if anyone here has checked out the Range?. I know there is a LEO area and public area.
from what research I have done It sounds like 15 lanes each??

also if anyone has visited know the fee's etc?
Also wondering able to bring own targets and ammo etc?.. trying to find a lower cost solution around the pond A's stadium area.

thanks everyone

Krusher
06-21-2005, 11:37 PM
BTT
has no one been here?
anyone?
Just wanna know if i should try or not waste my time

Eljay
06-22-2005, 8:40 AM
This isn't worth much, but since you aren't getting any other replies... I have a friend who lived down there until recently and that's where he shot and he liked it OK. So I'd say it's worth a try.

tcdrennen
06-22-2005, 9:30 AM
I've only been there for permit requals, so I don't know how they are for casual range time; their hours are odd - closed from noon to 2PM, I think, for example.

They do have some odd ammo restrictions, so check before going.

The range IS 25 yards (only On Target in Laguna Niguel matches that, all other OC ranges are 50 feet) and the target movers are in good shape; range is clean and well ventilated.

The range store is okay, but mostly police gear. Some stuff (firearms) is restricted to LEO sales only.

Worth checking out if you're nearby.

Tara

Moonclip
06-22-2005, 11:27 AM
I have not been there in a couple of years but it is ok within it's limitations. No long guns of any sort, not even 22lr. No magnums, 10mm, 40sw plus p whatever that means, no 357 sig, there is more, you should call for this and as well as for the hours.

Was only 7 dollars for 2 hours and targets are 16 cents but they prefer you bring your own and you should bring your own ammo as the range store is not always open. I believe hollowpoints and steel case ammo is ok.

No rapid fire, and don't talk to the prisoner trustee who is cleaning up, it is against the rules! If you bring semi auto pistols they may want to have a look at them as there was an instance of a illegally modified MAc 10 a range employee was inspecting for the police going off and killing him I think years ago.

Much cheaper and better attitude than Evans down the street though. Quite strange in this day and age in California that the police range is open to "civilians" so take advantage.

The LAPD range that is on the same concept that the public can use it, does anyone one know if it is still open? It is on Gaffey in San Pedro I think.

jmlivingston
06-22-2005, 1:28 PM
Where is this range at, does it have a website? Sounds interesting, I usually shoot 9mm and 9x18 so I'm probably just fine. I like the price compared to On-Target....

John

tcdrennen
06-22-2005, 2:13 PM
Originally posted by jmlivingston:
Where is this range at, does it have a website? Sounds interesting, I usually shoot 9mm and 9x18 so I'm probably just fine. I like the price compared to On-Target....

John

You can reach the following under "Training" at the OC Sheriff web site (http://www.ocsd.org) :

Firearms Range

Public Range (PR)

Located at 1900-B West Katella Avenue in the city of Orange, the Sheriff's Department manages a 25-yard outdoor pistol range open to the public. There are 13 shooting stalls with individually controlled targeting systems; a push-pull climate air circulation system, restrooms, lounge and vending machines.

Fees are $7.00 per person for the first two hours and $2.00 for each additional hour or $10.00 a day. An individual annual pass is available for $216. The range only accepts cash or check; no debit, credit cards or bills over $50 are accepted, and the range is unable to make change.

The public range hours are Wednesday - Saturday, 8:00 - 11:45 and 12:30 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. with the last sign-in for public use at 3:45 p.m. Hours on Sunday are 9:00 - 4:00 with the last sign in at 2:45 p.m. All shooters must be 16 (with parent or guardian) or older and no instruction may be given in the range. The range is closed on Monday and Tuesday.

Targets (.16 per large bulls-eye) and ammunition are available for purchase on site. Ammunition is available from the Orange County Peace Officer's Association range store located on the premises. The OCPO store is closed on Sundays. The range is restricted to handguns only and ammunition is not to exceed 1200 FPS; no magnum, black powder, armor piercing or steel core ammunition is allowed, nor are rifles of any kind permitted.

Because this is a law enforcement shooting range, there is always a possibility that the range may be closed at the last minute for specialized law enforcement training. Please call to confirm that the range is open.

Please call the range hotline at (714)-538-9391 for additional information.

DON'T trust their map! The range is actually just across the river on the south side of Katella, not east of Struck as the map show.

Tara

Krusher
06-22-2005, 7:19 PM
thank you all for responding.
Outch tho not even 22 lr...
that is a major bummer.
As I was hoping to test my new firing pin.

This leaves me with one I would like to
go to the range with 92fs 9mm, but the issue with this one is 15 round magazines...
these were orignal with the gun, yet I dont know what their reaction to them would be..

This is my freinds gun and he would go with me but I dont know what the feds say about someone else using the gun at a range for target practice and not anything else..

anyone got input on that one, I would aprecate it.

I wont mind loading them with less rounds,
also wondering if i want to say shoot off 10 rounds then pull target back in for a change, do i have to wait for a full range stop?
Or can this be done as i wish?..

I only have went out to the desert so please forgive my lack of range experance..

Thanks everyone

Originally posted by Moonclip:
I have not been there in a couple of years but it is ok within it's limitations. No long guns of any sort, not even 22lr. No magnums, 10mm, 40sw plus p whatever that means, no 357 sig, there is more, you should call for this and as well as for the hours.

Was only 7 dollars for 2 hours and targets are 16 cents but they prefer you bring your own and you should bring your own ammo as the range store is not always open. I believe hollowpoints and steel case ammo is ok.

No rapid fire, and don't talk to the prisoner trustee who is cleaning up, it is against the rules! If you bring semi auto pistols they may want to have a look at them as there was an instance of a illegally modified MAc 10 a range employee was inspecting for the police going off and killing him I think years ago.

Much cheaper and better attitude than Evans down the street though. Quite strange in this day and age in California that the police range is open to "civilians" so take advantage.

The LAPD range that is on the same concept that the public can use it, does anyone one know if it is still open? It is on Gaffey in San Pedro I think.

BigAL
06-22-2005, 8:47 PM
Originally posted by Moonclip:

Inspecting guns with no just cause. Jesus Christ another Cop run Nazi range, huh? Staying home and not shooting almost sounds better.

Moonclip
06-22-2005, 10:32 PM
The gun inspection bugged me a little but the guys doing it seem pretty cool, like ex cop types and laid back maybe a little too much so though. Once they called my Beretta and FIE pistols "Guido Guns" and "Pizza Pistols"! While I am not Italian I do look like one sort of and I figured someone might have taken offense to that. Kind of like when I went to Sharpshooters in Torrance and I was told a S&W 1911 was a "F&^%ing piece of s#$t".

Not very appropriate I figured, how does this employee know I'm not a Mormon or a Jesus freak and might be extremely offended by this language, I did feel it was inapropriate though.

Anyways the OC sheriff range they don't run serial numbers or anything like that but just see if the disconnect feature works on semis and give a cursory look, they seem more interested in what you are shooting, they seemed to like my pair of 1991A1 Colt's