PDA

View Full Version : Salinas Gun Buyback: Fighting Crime in a Sanctuary City

cousinkix1953
05-29-2009, 11:44 PM
Gift Card For Guns Program Announced: Program To Help Combat Gang Violence

POSTED: 10:40 am PDT May 29, 2009

SALINAS, Calif. -- Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger announced a new program in Salinas on Friday that provides gift cards for guns.

The Gifts for Guns program allows people to turn in their gun while receiving a gift card -- no questions asked.

Lets destroy evidence and help the criminals to remain free.

The money for the program comes from a $9.2 million state grant that went to four separate cities, including Salinas.

No mention of the other cities in this KSBW TV news report. Check your local outlets for the other gun buy backs near you.

“There’s no higher priority for government than ensuring public safety, and by providing Salinas with the resources they need, we are fighting gang violence with suppression and prevention efforts that will make communities throughout California safer,” Schwarzenegger said in a news release.

The Salinas Police Department will start accepting guns June 6 at the Vineyard Church.

Go ahead you fools; throw away your constitutional rights on the 65th anniversary of the D Day invasion in occupied Europe. Then go ask your elders if it was really worth overthrowing Adolf Hitler's anti-gun Third Reich?

Gun owners who bring in a rifle will receive a $50 gift card, a handgun will bring in a $100 gift card and a $200 gift card will be given to those who turn in an assault rifle.

Weren't they paying more in Los Angeles a couple of weeks ago? At prices like this, it's better to take your guns to Markley's instead. Only a criminal must worry that his stolen firearms might be traced to a gang murder.

The gift cards, which are paid for by the Salinas business community, will be accepted by the Northridge Shopping Center.

No mention which stores are participating in this sham, so boycott them all.

The Gifts for Guns program was originally started by the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department in 2005.

"Salinas, like other California cities, has experienced more than its share of gang violence in the past 18 months," said Paul Seave, director of the Governor's Office of Gang and Youth Violence Policy. "I commend the brave and caring people of this city for their continuing efforts to end this violence through prevention, intervention, and suppression strategies."

Salinas has already witnessed 14 gang-related homicides in 2009.

GoodEyeSniper
05-29-2009, 11:49 PM
Man, those $200 gift cards really are enough to make you forget your gang banging ways. I'm sure they'll be lining up to drop them off. Crips and Bloods holding hands the whole time.

rtlltj
05-29-2009, 11:49 PM
I was going to post this earlier today but decided it wasn't worth my time. Salinas is already a worthless pos. Today they showed some highly intelligent individuals who said police are at fault for our gang problem. There were some angry neighbors who threw eggs at police the other night who were at the scene of another gang shooting. I wish they would just delete east salinas off our map.

Blackhawk556
05-30-2009, 12:24 AM
I was born and raised in Salinas but moved away about 5 years ago. In those last five years gangs have been getting very rough. My dad owned a gas station on the corner of sanborn and garner, which was the hangout spot for the vagos gang. I got to see several shootings, not a good thing for a kid to see.

its the stupid parents fault for letting their kids hang out with bad kids. if parents started paying attention to their kids they wouldn't be getting in gangs shooting each other.

domokun
05-30-2009, 12:31 AM
Would it be legal for someone with an 01/07 FFL to purchase all those guns off the line and then log them into their books for sale at the shop? :whistling:

cousinkix1953
05-30-2009, 7:33 AM
I was born and raised in Salinas but moved away about 5 years ago. In those last five years gangs have been getting very rough. My dad owned a gas station on the corner of sanborn and garner, which was the hangout spot for the vagos gang. I got to see several shootings, not a good thing for a kid to see.

its the stupid parents fault for letting their kids hang out with bad kids. if parents started paying attention to their kids they wouldn't be getting in gangs shooting each other.
The ex-mayor is the only one who made sense on the news. She pointed her finger at the gang bangers' parents, who allow their little brats to keep guns in their homes. Those things don't belong to mom and dad. Most of these punks aren't old enough to buy their own either...

Mulay El Raisuli
05-30-2009, 7:52 AM
Would it be legal for someone with an 01/07 FFL to purchase all those guns off the line and then log them into their books for sale at the shop? :whistling:

Or, how about buying the parts of the weapons? After all, only the frame carries the serial number & so is the only part requiring an FFL, right? Wouldn't I then be able to legally buy the parts & then (for the convenience of the seller, of course) take the frame to the buy-back fools?

The Raisuli

cousinkix1953
05-30-2009, 11:47 PM
Or, how about buying the parts of the weapons? After all, only the frame carries the serial number & so is the only part requiring an FFL, right? Wouldn't I then be able to legally buy the parts & then (for the convenience of the seller, of course) take the frame to the buy-back fools?

The Raisuli
You might be able to do this, but do you really want a bunch of parts from junky guns? No law against, encouraging law abiding citizens, to unload their good firearms at the licensed gun shops. They'll certainly get more than 50 bucks for a decent rifle or shotgun in good condition.

Big ticket items and some C&Rs can be sold on consignment too. Would you sell a good Mauser rifle for 50 bucks; when you can sell it for 200+ at a gun shop, give the dealer a fair 25% cut of your profits and still come out ahead? Everybody would be happy except for the anti-gun people who hate your guts.

Gun buy backs are a benifit for criminals who want to sell stolen firearms and destroy evidence, no questions asked. These feel good programs do not benifit law abiding citizens who get short changed too often...

rtlltj
05-31-2009, 12:27 AM
Our new police chief just wrote an editorial that was in today's paper that basically left out the number one reason for our gang problem: Parents are gang members. No amount of after school problems, law enforcement, blah blah is going to prevent the kids who are raised by gang bangers from following suit.

johnthomas
05-31-2009, 1:05 AM
I wonder if after the guns are bought, will they try to identify the rightful owners of them. People that buy guns do not sell their guns for dimes on the dollar. I am curious about the 200 dollars for an assault weapon. Because their paying for them, is a sks an assault weapon or not? I know that it isn't but the press and police seem to have a problem with what is and what is not an assault weapon.

Texas Boy
05-31-2009, 1:19 AM
Gun buy backs are a benifit for criminals who want to sell stolen firearms and destroy evidence, no questions asked. These feel good programs do not benifit law abiding citizens who get short changed too often...

Given that it is illegal to purchase or be in possession of stolen property, is there a crafty way to legally challenge these gun buybacks? After all the state is buying stolen property AND destroying evidence! It could further be argued that they are encouraging the theft of firearms since they are offering criminals a safe and "legal" market for their ill gotten goods.

BunnySlayer
05-31-2009, 1:56 AM
Steal a gun and the state pays you. Fencing stolen goods with the Police themselves with no questions asked. I need to start a program like this for illegal campaign contributions. You guys think .25 cents on the dollar sounds about right?

tombinghamthegreat
05-31-2009, 2:21 AM
The state is willing to piss away a 10 million grant just on this ''event", even spend 10s if not 100 of millions of dollars on other useless programs(gun related and not) but they would not mind removing cal grants for college students? No wonder why CA is going down the toilet.

cousinkix1953
05-31-2009, 5:56 AM
Our new police chief just wrote an editorial that was in today's paper that basically left out the number one reason for our gang problem: Parents are gang members. No amount of after school problems, law enforcement, blah blah is going to prevent the kids who are raised by gang bangers from following suit.
Which is probably the reason why their punk kids are allowed to keep stolen and illegal firearms in the house. There are two and three generations of gang bangers in Watsonville too. These dirtbags began to move into the area, when the Salinas Valley State Prison (Soledead) became the new home for many gang members convicted of crimes. Girlfriends want to be close by so they can have congical visits (and get laid in those on site mobile homes) on a regular basis...

eflatminor
05-31-2009, 7:12 AM
I still think the politicians and cops should also burn books that might contain dangerous words. If we're going to piss on the BoRs, let's piss on ALL of them.

jamesob
05-31-2009, 10:53 AM
Man, those $200 gift cards really are enough to make you forget your gang banging ways. I'm sure they'll be lining up to drop them off. Crips and Bloods holding hands the whole time.

are you kiddin? the news will show a table full of assault weapons ( that were supplied by the police) to promote the buy back propaganda. i'm sure it will be a huge success.

rp55
05-31-2009, 11:12 AM
My wife and I play a game almost every morning. It's called "Guess That City." I read her the crime articles from the paper and she guesses what City they happened in. She plays along and it's become sort of ritual along the lines of this.

Me: A pedestrian was shot in the back while walking down a city street. Guess that city?

Wife: Greenfield?

Me: Nope.

Wife: Soledad?

Me: Nope.

Wife: Hmmm that's a tough one. How about Marina?

Me: Bzzzzt! Nice try. Thanks for playing. The correct answer is ... SALINAS!

Wife: Gee, who'd of thought that.

cousinkix1953
05-31-2009, 8:34 PM
are you kiddin? the news will show a table full of assault weapons ( that were supplied by the police) to promote the buy back propaganda. i'm sure it will be a huge success.
Really! It wasn't that many years ago, that anti-gun attorney general Bill Lockyer borrowed some M-60 machineguns, M-16s and a rocket launcher from the National Guard for a sham press conference. He claimed to have purchased them at the Great Western Gun show. Never mind that the Pomona fairground is crawling with sheriffs depuuties during a gun show. The BATFE often shows up at these events flying their colors. What kind of idiot is gonna sell his stolen war toys in a police entrapment zone like that any way? They have to be frigging brain dead.

Meanwhile the DEA raided the Cow Palace on Labor Day weekend. Marijuana, LSD, cocaine, speed and ecstacy were openly sold there. Several people were arrested on federal drug dealing charges. Those raves are a big crime problem yet our corrupt politicians don't ban them on state owned property. Why not? They go crazy over a few gun shows, where somebody gets a parking ticket on rare occasions...

N6ATF
05-31-2009, 9:02 PM
Law-abiding citizens=bad
Criminals=good

That's how the government thinks, very simple logic to remember.

phamkl
05-31-2009, 9:02 PM
So we'll drop 10 mil on this and close nat'l parks?

...lol

Mulay El Raisuli
06-01-2009, 7:09 AM
You might be able to do this, but do you really want a bunch of parts from junky guns?

Absolutely. My thinking is that I could get every part of a 1911 (as an example) except the frame. And for only $50? That's a steal. Even if I had to toss some parts, the majority would be worth owning. Repeat a few times & I'd have enough parts to keep my 1911 going for years.

The Raisuli

calnurse
06-01-2009, 8:44 AM
our x mayor? Her son got arrested for armed robbery. She made it a point that he was adopted, forgot to say she got him as a toddler and spent more time on her career than she did raising her son. She did not take any blame for her sorry parental skills. Pick a better Salinas Hero than her, she is still and always will be part of the problem.

She attended a birthday party for one of our friends and I was ready to confront her about her anti-gun stance. My wife pulled me back and I went on my merry way. Cabellero is full of beans and is just a show pigeon. I hope her and that #$%% De Leon get the heck out of dodge soon! But since California is ruled by Demo-craps, we are in for a long night:sleeping:

fairfaxjim
06-01-2009, 8:51 AM
I hope her and that #$%% De Leon get the heck out of dodge soon! But since California is ruled by Demo-craps, we are in for a long night:sleeping:

The tide is flowing in, not ebbing! I believe it was Adam Corrola who said something to the effect (not an exact quote) "The only thing that makes it different from one side of the border to the other is what is on each side. When it becomes the same on both sides, it really isn't a border at all."

In case you haven't been paying attention, it is pretty close to being the same on both sides as we speak. None of this BS is going to change - CA will continue to pour billions (with a B) into worthless programs that have a "feel good" component to keep politicians names in the news while every worthwhile service, including education at all levels, will be cut, axed, starved for funds and ignored.

cousinkix1953
06-01-2009, 7:41 PM
She attended a birthday party for one of our friends and I was ready to confront her about her anti-gun stance. My wife pulled me back and I went on my merry way. Cabellero is full of beans and is just a show pigeon. I hope her and that #$%% De Leon get the heck out of dodge soon! But since California is ruled by Demo-craps, we are in for a long night:sleeping:
Yes, but she's still right about grown up gang members who let their minor gang banger brats keep illegal guns in the house. I don't like her sanctuary city (lets protect those criminals) BS either. If you want hear the wisdom of a brainless liberal mush head mayor; then listen to the Dennis Donahue show on 1460 AM. He's on Saturdays at 10 AM. This moron made me feel like shooting my radio. Did you catch his whizzing contest with Dan Green a few months ago? The channel 8 anchor beat up this whiney politician on the air...

Look Wat I kAn DO !
06-01-2009, 8:14 PM
salinas is not going to change because the way the city goes around trying to stop crime. After school programs don't really work. Most of the parents that there kids are g's are never home or there g's themselves.

gunn
06-02-2009, 1:36 PM
Q: What's the cheapest assault weapon possible?
My thinking is a Nagant Pistol with a threaded barrel.

$5 Harbor Freight Pipe Threader + $80 Nagant = $200 bucks.

Not a bad ROI
-g

cousinkix1953
06-06-2009, 11:16 PM
So far, I've seen only one commercial M-1 carbine turned it at the Salinas buy back on the news. Definitely not original USGI with that shiny stock and polihed blued metal finish.

A Channel 46 reporter fondled a Tech 9 and a derringer, but I paid more attention to her huge boobs...

RolinThundr
06-07-2009, 1:45 AM
...is a sks an assault weapon or not? I know that it isn't but the press and police seem to have a problem with what is and what is not an assault weapon.

Forget about knowing whether or not a gun is an AW or not, I've seen cops & reporters that don't even know what gun their talking about. On an episode of cops, an officer kept talking about the Glock he took off the suspect...it was an XD. On the news just recently, a reporter mentioned the recovery of a suspect's AK...it was an SKS with the stock cut off behind the gip, made for a curved, short pistol grip.

Someone should start going to these gun buys with a camera and notepad and document what is actually bought, and the condition of the firearms. Most of the guns that are turned in, from what I've learned, are just about as dangerous for the shooter as the target. Then, when the police and politicians announce what a great success it was, you can challenge them with evidence.

JDoe
06-07-2009, 8:25 AM
What is the address of this gun buy back?

GW
06-07-2009, 1:41 PM

They are trash, born of trash--nothing more

cousinkix1953
06-07-2009, 4:54 PM
Trash breeds more trash. Some families of gang members go back to three and four generations of career criminals. Salinas and Watsonville are close to the Salinas Valley prison (Soledead), which makes it easy to visit their gang relatives and screw the boyfriend in one of those trailers for the weekend. So the gangster congregate in those cities...

SchooBaka
06-07-2009, 8:02 PM
Heh, even though I'm against such things, just had an interesting idea.
Let's say I've got a beat up old .22 not worth more than 50 bucks. Let's say bolt a pistol grip, set screw a flash hider on there and put a forward grip on it for good measure. 200 bucks? No questions asked?
Still seems like if I got pulled over on the way to the buyback I could be charged with manufacturing an assault weapon though?
Not worth it.
We should just crash their party as has often been brought up; just need enough notice so we can get some people there.

SchooBaka
06-07-2009, 8:03 PM
Q: What's the cheapest assault weapon possible?
My thinking is a Nagant Pistol with a threaded barrel.

$5 Harbor Freight Pipe Threader + $80 Nagant = $200 bucks.

Not a bad ROI
-g

Beat me too it, lol.:p

cousinkix1953
06-07-2009, 9:48 PM
Let's say I've got a beat up old .22 not worth more than 50 bucks. Let's say bolt a pistol grip, set screw a flash hider on there and put a forward grip on it for good measure. 200 bucks? No questions asked?
Still seems like if I got pulled over on the way to the buyback I could be charged with manufacturing an assault weapon though?
Not worth it.
We should just crash their party as has often been brought up; just need enough notice so we can get some people there.
If they bust you; then sue them for fraud and false advertising, "No questions asked.", means none of your GD business who done it.

The latest report, I saw on KSBW included one old #1 mkIII Lee Enfield rifle and a bunch of common firearms of no real interest to collectors. A commercial M-1 carbine is about the only other weapon that interested me.

The closest thing they got to an assault weapon was a standard SKS rifle in an aftermarket folding buttstock, but only the original 10 round magazine...

gunn
06-08-2009, 7:38 AM
OK I'll bite.
Where did you get the other 115.00? 5 plus 80 is 85.

That's what we call profit .
For reference, ROI = return on investment.
Your investment is $85.
You get $200 per assault weapon.
The net $115.
-g

gunn
06-08-2009, 7:40 AM
Not worth it.

I don't know about the vert forward grip. That puts it into federal AOW territory -- not just a state violation they "promise" not to investigate.

-g

johnthomas
06-08-2009, 11:57 AM
That's what we call profit .
For reference, ROI = return on investment.
Your investment is $85.
You get $200 per assault weapon.
The net $115.
-g

Got it, was thinking out of context, good idea, lol

cousinkix1953
06-08-2009, 11:24 PM
http://cmsimg.thecalifornian.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=J2&Date=20090608&Category=NEWS01&ArtNo=906080310&Ref=AR&Profile=1002&MaxW=550&MaxH=650&title=0
The Salinas gun buyback nets an assault(?) rifle. I'm not even sure that this
SKS rifle is illegal, but you might want to remove the bayonet to be sure.

I never did see any AKs or ARs on the news. One guy gave up his WW2 Walther
P-38 pistol that is worth several hundred bucks easily. An old #1 mkIII Enfield
is about all that interested me in the bunch...

SgtWaggoner
06-08-2009, 11:46 PM
200 bucks for an assault rifle? Why would someone sell a rifle most likely worth $1000 to $2000 for $200:eek:? Only a murderer or a drug dealer whose used that gun for killing. Only a criminal would accept $200 for a "so-called" assault weapon, I assume they mean AR's or AK's and the sort. Does this type of thing wipe the slate clean for these murderers?

Using the 65th anniversary of D-Day to have this sickening circle jerk :mad:really pisses me off. I was at a gun show in Ventura on D-Day and then to the cemetery to pay respects to my father who fought on D-Day. Not giving up a right he fought for me to have...JEEPERS!!!

cousinkix1953
06-09-2009, 4:55 AM
200 bucks for an assault rifle? Why would someone sell a rifle most likely worth $1000 to $2000 for $200:eek:? Only a murderer or a drug dealer whose used that gun for killing. Only a criminal would accept $200 for a "so-called" assault weapon, I assume they mean AR's or AK's and the sort. Does this type of thing wipe the slate clean for these murderers?

Using the 65th anniversary of D-Day to have this sickening circle jerk :mad:really pisses me off. I was at a gun show in Ventura on D-Day and then to the cemetery to pay respects to my father who fought on D-Day. Not giving up a right he fought for me to have...JEEPERS!!!
Stupid people also sell their guns for a fraction of what they are really worth. That $100 original P-38 is a good example of an ignorant gun owner. Another fool turned in his Luger at the Los Angeles buy back on Mother's Day too. It doesn't cross their minds to try the local gun shop to compare prices...

My old man fought the Japanese in WW-2. He would have laughed at these buy backs because criminals rarely turn in their guns...

Midian
06-09-2009, 6:30 AM
I wonder if the fingerprints DNA from these weapons is being swabbed and stored.

JDoe
06-09-2009, 8:10 AM
For those who might find it of interest, Vineyard Church, 1122 E. Alisal St. the site of the gun buy back that is the subject of this thread is approximately 96 feet from El Sausal Middle School, 1155 E Alisal St. and in a school zone according to the the Gun-Free School Zone Act of 1995 (http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=pen&group=00001-01000&file=626-626.11)(PC 626.9).

cousinkix1953
06-12-2009, 12:55 AM
Since when does the Gun Control Lobby obey it's own rules. Many of those anti-gun politicians and celebrities carry concealed weapons. You can't! They don't care if there is a school next door to their arms collection stations either...

N6ATF
06-12-2009, 2:05 AM
Citizen arrest them for PC 626.9.

cineski
06-12-2009, 9:19 AM
DING DING DING!!!! Correctamundo.

cousinkix1953
06-20-2009, 11:05 PM
The annomynous business which donated lots of $$$ to the Salinas gun buy back has been identified as Taylor Farms by the channel 46 news on June 20...

N6ATF
06-20-2009, 11:59 PM
http://www.taylorfarms.com/index.cfm?event=products

Vegetables.

cousinkix1953
06-21-2009, 7:36 PM
http://www.taylorfarms.com/index.cfm?event=products

They must be financing gun buy backs in other states too...

September 1994
Taylor Fresh Foods, Inc. was incorporated.

January 1995
Operations began in Florida following the acquisition of South Bay Salads from U.S. Sugar.

December 1995
A new subsidiary, Taylor Farms California, Inc. (TFC), was formed to acquire the assets from Valley Precut in Salinas, California. Operations are also expanded into El Centro, California.

November 1996
Taylor Farms California moved into a new facility in Yuma, Arizona.

February 1997
Merged PremaPak, a Smyrna, Tennessee, processing company into a new subsidiary, Taylor Farms Tennessee, Inc.

June 1997
Taylor Farms Florida, Inc. was created as a subsidiary to absorb the South Bay assets.

April 1998
Taylor Farms California moved into newly refurbished 40,000 square foot processing facility in Salinas.

January 1999
Taylor Farms Tennessee acquired assets of Fresh Pack, a Louisville, Kentucky vegetable processor and consolidated this operation into the Smyrna, Tennessee, facility. Completed renovation and expansion of Smyrna building.

February 1999
Taylor Farms Florida absorbs North American Produce (NAP).

March 1999
Taylor Farms Foods acquired River Ranch Southwest, a Dallas, Texas, processor, and, Taylor Farms Florida acquired stock of River Ranch Orlando, an Orlando processor.

April 1999
Taylor Farms Florida announced plans to close South Bay facility and consolidate operations into Orlando.

June 1999
Taylor Farms Florida South Bay operation moved to Orlando.

November 1999
Completed sale-leaseback of Florida building. Finished work on 24,000 square foot expansion of Yuma building.

March 2000
Agreed to acquire assets of Fresh Express Dallas.

March 2001
Opened Taylor Farms facility in Pennsylvania.

February 2003
Acquired Fresh Express Colorado. Began operation as Taylor Farms Colorado.

November 2003
Taylor Farms Texas operation moved to new facility.

April 2004
Taylor Farms Maryland operation moved to new facility.

The Company will continue to grow its business by following the key philosophies of building on significant relationships with category leaders in foodservice and by completing acquisitions as opportunities arise and financial capabilities exist.