PDA

View Full Version : M1A Accuracy Question

charliedontsurf334
05-29-2009, 11:13 PM
I have been reading a lot about the M1A's and other civi M14's are accurate but hard to keep accurate. Does this only apply to NM models?

I just have a scoped M1A standard with a Sadlak NM op rod spring guide and a NM tuned trigger assembly.

I was wondering what this entailed. Does just have to be thoroughly cleaned regularly or brought to a gunsmith every now and then?

Any specifics would be much appreciated.

Jonathan Doe
05-29-2009, 11:29 PM
I have a M-1A match tuned with rear lug. It has Krieger 1:11" twist SS barrel and McMillan stock. It has 1,674 rounds through it to this date. It shoot good and constantly hits the spotter on target during the match. After I shoot, I just clean the barrel and don't do anything else. I also clean the gas system every 500 rounds. It is a keeper for sure. I also have 3 other M-1A's in different configuration and grade.

Waldo
05-30-2009, 12:50 AM
I have a M-1A match tuned with rear lug. It has Krieger 1:11" twist SS barrel and McMillan stock. It has 1,674 rounds through it to this date. It shoot good and constantly hits the spotter on target during the match. After I shoot, I just clean the barrel and don't do anything else. I also clean the gas system every 500 rounds. It is a keeper for sure. I also have 3 other M-1A's in different configuration and grade.

Topgun,

Out of curiosity, what bullet weights are you using in your M1A? I'm interested to know as I've got an LRB 25 with a Kreiger in a McMillan stock due any day from Ted Brown.

On topic, the Springfield Super Match I use to keep me company until the LRB gets here holds inside the 10 ring at 100 yards. Not sure if that's any better than a standard or "Loaded" model, since I've never shot either before.

aplinker
05-30-2009, 5:03 AM
I have been reading a lot about the M1A's and other civi M14's are accurate but hard to keep accurate. Does this only apply to NM models?

I just have a scoped M1A standard with a Sadlak NM op rod spring guide and a NM tuned trigger assembly.

I was wondering what this entailed. Does just have to be thoroughly cleaned regularly or brought to a gunsmith every now and then?

Any specifics would be much appreciated.

The issue is primarily stock/receiver bedding. The M1A/M14 is neither free-floated nor bedded in normal configuration. Making it more accurate usually involves one or both of these operations.

However, the rifle is a pretty rough operation & non-optimal in its securing, due to its op-rod design, etc., causing the bedding to not last long.

I would suggest that, if you want to enhance accuracy, you get a good bedding stock and perhaps consider the JAE, as it doesn't require glass bedding, but uses rails. From there, the addition of a good match barrel will definitely improve your accuracy.

You should still keep your expectations moderate - I would expect about 1-1.5" MOA from such a system.

ERdept
05-30-2009, 7:35 AM
I had a M1A done by Tanks rifle shot.

Steel on Steel bedding so dissassembly and cleaning resulted in same accuracy.

McMillan stock and Kreiger barrel.

Spenk $2500 and It wil be accurate is a tack.

http://erdept.smugmug.com/gallery/2133179_asXVu#110460954_5hZn6

THT
05-30-2009, 7:38 AM
My father-in-law has a Springfield Armory M1A w/ a match barrel and it's accurate enough that he can tag head-sized targets at 200yds all day long.

Jonathan Doe
05-30-2009, 7:51 AM
Topgun,

Out of curiosity, what bullet weights are you using in your M1A? I'm interested to know as I've got an LRB 25 with a Kreiger in a McMillan stock due any day from Ted Brown.

On topic, the Springfield Super Match I use to keep me company until the LRB gets here holds inside the 10 ring at 100 yards. Not sure if that's any better than a standard or "Loaded" model, since I've never shot either before.

For the match, I use Federal Gold Medal ammo, 168 grain ones for 200 and 300 yard lines and 175 grain one for 600 yard line. For the practice, I use my reloads with the same bullet weights. My rifle is accurate enough to keep the rounds in the X-ring at any given distance.

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq263/5topgun/SpringfieldM1A2Small.jpg

Waldo
05-30-2009, 8:06 AM
For the match, I use Federal Gold Medal ammo, 168 grain ones for 200 and 300 yard lines and 175 grain one for 600 yard line. For the practice, I use my reloads with the same bullet weights. My rifle is accurate enough to keep the rounds in the X-ring at any given distance.

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq263/5topgun/SpringfieldM1A2Small.jpg

Thanks for the info. Been trying to do things on my own without a coach to give me feedback. It's hard to say if my accuracy results are due to the rifle or the loose nut behind it.:)

Nice looking rig, BTW.

M1A Rifleman
05-30-2009, 10:58 AM

Thats FUD. The M1A/M14's are indestructable. My rfile is near 20 years old with over 3,000 rounds thru it and it is just as accurate as the day I first pulled the trigger. Match tuned rifles such as the M21 may need additional maintenance to keep them tight, but so will any match rifle. Shoot yours and don't worry about it.

Jpach
05-30-2009, 11:15 AM
M1As are pretty accurate. My dad got me a SA Loaded M1A when I was in jr. high or something and so far I have bump fired it, rapid fired it, barely cleaned it, etc. The rifle has been put to serious use. I even have a yellow paper clip in place of the gas cutoff locking pin and it works just fine. Even after all of the abuse I have put through it, I can get 1MOA groups at 100yds with Aussie 7.62 and basically hit any human sized target to at least 600 yards (range limit) without a problem.

aplinker
05-30-2009, 3:31 PM
Of course... All guns are sub-MOA on the net. :rolleyes:

And with surplus no less!

There is a huge difference between match and battle rifle accuracy.

Jpach
05-30-2009, 6:09 PM
Absolutely UCLA, the standard M1A is very unlikely to be SUB moa with any type of ammo. However sometimes average guns can do extraordinary things with average ammo yet perform not so well with great ammo. Quite odd. Im not sure anyone here said anything about MATCH rifle accuracy in standard M1As by the way.

Ill take some grouping pics for you next time I take out my M1A UCLA, and i guess Ill take and post pics of the sub-MOA groups (which I already have done/do) I regularly make with my other guns for yall "net haters" :thumbsup:

30Cal
05-30-2009, 7:13 PM

Pretty much. There are quite a few things that are done as the standard match package to get them to shoot consistently. Bedding, gas system, sights, and other misc. stuff will shoot loose from time to time with heavy usage (say 1500+rds/yr). It brings in a couple new (and generally invisible) ways to have issues in addition to the normal barrel changes and stuff that needs to happen to keep a match rifle running.

The standard rifles (without epoxy/glass bedding) are hit or miss for accuracy depending on how the receiver fits in the stock. The standard I had shot about 3" with ball and 2.5" with match ammo.