View Full Version : how much to ship a handgun?

08-04-2005, 12:19 PM
i need to ship a handgun back to springfield. it is in parts. how do i ship it and how much does it cost? does it have to go overnight?

08-04-2005, 12:32 PM
Handguns cannot be shipped via US Mail (though long guns can!) - unless you're an FFL.

No matter who's the shipper, you are required to declare the item as a firearm (can't just say it's "metal parts & fittings").

As I recall UPS & FedEx seem to require overnight shipping - they have so many union theives working for 'em apparently, that the less time the package is in their system the less risk of loss there is.

You can't use franchise UPS or FedEx nodes like MailboxesUSA (UPS) or Kinko's (FedEx) nor can you use drop boxes. You have to go to a reg UPS or FedEx office.

Check their websites and print out their firearm policies, their clerks may not know. Also, since you can really only ship to an FFL/gun mfgr, you might wanna keep your instruction manual with you to show indeed that Springfield Armory is indeed a gun company and at the address on your package.

I do not believe any external firearm declaration is allowed on the package - that just says, "Steal me!".

You might also want to mask the recipient's address a bit - if it's Springfield Armory Repair Center, send it addressed to "SARC" or just "Repair Center", followed by address, instead.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

08-04-2005, 1:10 PM
so i am looking at around $40. i called an ffl. he said when they return the pistol it would have to go through an ffl. i thought they could ship back to me? it is not going to have a new serial #. is fedex or ups a better carrier than the other?

08-04-2005, 1:36 PM
Your FFL is wrong, you CAN legally receive your own gun back directly to you.

(Perhaps a gunsmith or mfgr is reluctant to send back a gun to an address other than from which it was received, but that is not a legal issue whatsoever, and your FFL misinterpreted this. Or he's just cruising for some extra money you really don't have to pay )

[Only Calif Assault Weapons must go thru a local FFL to be shipped/returned (unless you transport it yourself out of state) - and these FFLs must also hold a CA AW Permit as well; ordinary CA FFL dealers cannot handle assault weapons. But this is only exception.]

Just go to a real UPS office or a real FedEx office and ship it yourself. I dunno if it's $40, it may only be $25-$30ish.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

08-04-2005, 1:49 PM
Bill is correct on this I just got a call from Robar telling me that they're going to ship my two pistols back today, UPS Overnight, NP-3 refinishing.............I can't wait....... http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Mike Searson
08-04-2005, 1:51 PM
Some UPS morons are being dicks about this.

They will not accept shipment for a firearm from a non FFL even at the counter.

One good thing about having the FFL ship/receive it is they can do it priority mail which is a bit cheaper and a safer and more reliable service.

I've never lost a package with USPS in all the years I've dealt with them...but have had 2 guns, a few knives, and a watch stolen over the years through the turd brown UPS guys.

08-04-2005, 4:03 PM
I'd tend to agree... USPS is "safer"!

The other day, I got home to find a long 50 inch "golf club sized http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif " box sitting on my porch with UPS "adult sig. needed" all over it!!

USPS is kinda anal about that... I always end up in line at the Post Office. Waiting sucks, but at least I know some skateboarder kid isn't running off with my stuff.

I've also been happy with CMP / FedEx Ground shipments!

08-04-2005, 4:11 PM
FedEx is the easiest way to go. The only problem has been that we had to talk to the head of security at FedEx with the P22 recall/repair. S&W provided a label marked standard overnight while the standard FedEx policy is to ship handguns Priority Overnight. We went back later in the afternoon ... "Mr Patman, no problem with your shipment, have a nice day" =D

08-04-2005, 4:22 PM
You all probably know what an "ugly stick" is so you can imagine that a mens graphite shaft is quite a bit stiffer but still not that solid... A box of Orlimar fairway woods arrived once in a V shape "golf club sized box" from UPS containing some extra shafts... wait, my heads had shafts sized for a 6 year old! http://www.calguns.net/banghead.gif

We were plain lucky to see the BBT arrive and immediately refuse the package after we all peeked inside. The sender used FedEx for the replacements. The CMP Garand would have been a better buy though http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by icormba:
The other day, I got home to find a long 50 inch "golf club sized http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif " box sitting on my porch with UPS "adult sig. needed" all over it!!

08-08-2005, 9:11 PM
Last time I shipped it was $45 from SF to Hartford, CT.

Though the guy at FEDEX was a little freaked out at first, he went in the back (where he was reassured by a colleague) and came out with a little book of firearms regs. Then it went pretty smooth.

At first, he wanted me to remove the cylinder (from a Python!!).