PDA

View Full Version : Assault Weapon Registration Question

tpf68
05-29-2009, 8:19 PM
So lets say someone has a legally registered assault weapon, and moves to a new residence, still within the state of CA. Would it be necessary to notify doj about the change of residence, or would it not be an issue? I searched around the doj website but did not find any information addressing this issue at all. They have a form to download for "No Longer in Possession of Assault Weapon/.50 BMG Rifle", but no mention of a change of address for registered assault weapon. Any idea?

Mssr. Eleganté
05-29-2009, 8:20 PM
You don't need to do anything.

tpf68
05-29-2009, 8:30 PM
Thanks, Mssr Elegante

jas000
05-30-2009, 9:49 AM
I requested this info from DOJ many years ago. I received a letter in reply saying that there's no need to update your address, but they recommend you do so they can notify you of updates and changes in the law, etc.

So, not necessary to update address.

cactustactical
05-30-2009, 10:14 AM
You have a fully automatic assualt weapon???

Niiiiiiicccceeee :) Congrats and enjoy!

As far as I am concearned (and the legal defination) an assualt weapon is a weapon that can be changed from semi auto to fully auto with the flip of a selector switch.

My AR's and AK's are just Semi automatic rifles, they are NOT assualt weapons... they just look cool! :)

Quiet
05-30-2009, 10:36 AM

As far as I am concearned (and the legal defination) an assualt weapon is a weapon that can be changed from semi auto to fully auto with the flip of a selector switch.

My AR's and AK's are just Semi automatic rifles, they are NOT assualt weapons... they just look cool! :)

CA's legal definition of "assault weapons" differs from what you are use to.

RolinThundr
05-30-2009, 10:48 AM
"CA's legal definition of "assault weapons" differs from what you are use to."

Yeah, originally (and in the eyes of the military) "assault weapon" referred to rifles of intermediate length using mid-sized calibers and having the ability to switch from semi-auto, to full-auto or bursts of fire (as opposed to long, large caliber, semi-auto battle rifles). The Republik of California has determined that an "assault rifle" is a semi-automatic, centerfire rifle (because we all know that .22s aren't dangerous *sarcasm*) defined by numerous models and characteristics:

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/dwcl/12275.php

Being the Big Brother that CA is, when you update your new info with the DMV, the AG's office updates your information from the DMV. Makes you wonder how often they check that stuff.

cactustactical
05-30-2009, 10:48 AM
CA's legal definition of "assault weapons" differs from what you are use to.

Gahhhhhh!!!

Cali is like a Nation all to themselves it seems :(

You guys got it so rough! my sympathies go out to you...

bwiese
05-30-2009, 12:44 PM

Pleae stop the BS taunts. You're an out-of-stater here.

The last AZ vendor that kept poking our ribs (Derek @ AZExarms) is no longer around here.

As far as I am concearned (and the legal defination) an assualt weapon is a weapon that
can be changed from semi auto to fully auto with the flip of a selector switch.

Get with the program. This is a legal/political discussion forum and we need to deal with what current CA legal reality is. When people start using random definitions not in the law, they get in trouble.

ad6mj
05-30-2009, 2:24 PM

You are apparently confusing "assault rifle" with "assault weapon". Assault rifle is a legitimate classification used by the military to describe a select fire rifle/carbine. An assault weapon is an "invention" created by assanine politicians, so they are pretty much able to define it as they see fit.