PDA

View Full Version : Is there a waiting period before you can sell a Non-Roster pistol?

ADOR
05-29-2009, 9:08 PM
Once you register a Non-Roster pistol after you move in to CA from another state, is there a waiting period before you can sell such pistol?

I just received my letter from CA DOJ regarding my registration. My financial situation in school is forcing me to sell couple of my pistos. Are there any rules I should know about?

Thansks

bohoki
05-29-2009, 10:00 PM
hmm could a visitor to the state personally ppt a firearm or do they need a ca state id?

hoffmang
05-29-2009, 10:07 PM
hmm could a visitor to the state personally ppt a firearm or do they need a ca state id?

A visitor can not import a firearm with the intent to sell it.

-Gene

bohoki
05-29-2009, 10:39 PM
A visitor can not import a firearm with the intent to sell it.

-Gene

but what if they don't want to sell it but you offer them lots of money and they break

G17GUY
05-29-2009, 10:42 PM
but what if they don't want to sell it but you offer them lots of money and they break

:thumbsup:

hoffmang
05-29-2009, 11:19 PM

12125. (a) Commencing January 1, 2001, any person in this state who ... imports into the state for sale, keeps for sale, offers or exposes for sale, gives, or lends any unsafe handgun shall be punished by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year.

This is not something to play with. Just wait for Pena v. Cid to be complete.

-Gene

DanTheMan
05-29-2009, 11:48 PM
I ran into a similar situation to this. What I learned, and you should verify for yourself, is that non Kalifornian residents moving to the state can sell their off-list handguns once they have established residency and registration. The nice lady on the other end of the phone at CA DOJ said, "we can't make it illegal for 'you' to sell your handgun to a private party after you move here".

Notable points are that PPT's in Kalifornia MUST be between two CA residents. If the gun is coming from out of state, it HAS to be on the "safe" I-can-be-dropped-and-not-go-off list and it MUST be coming from an FFL to a California FFL.

I asked the lady under what circumstances could I buy the (off-list) handgun I wanted and she said, "only from someone moving into the state." I took this to mean that the handgun must be owned by someone moving to Cali, registering it, having established residency (Ca Driver's License, utility bill/car registration, etc), and then doing a FTF PPT at an FFL. QED.

nobody33
05-30-2009, 12:00 AM
It's probably more legal than the people in the sales forum selling more than 6 guns to different buyers all via PPT in one post.

ke6guj
05-30-2009, 12:42 AM
Notable points are that PPT's in Kalifornia MUST be between two CA residents. If the gun is coming from out of state, it HAS to be on the "safe" I-can-be-dropped-and-not-go-off list and it MUST be coming from an FFL to a California FFL.Incorrect. There is no CA or federal law that requires a firearms shipment sent to an FFL come from an FFL, roster or not.

ADOR
05-30-2009, 4:04 AM
Thank you for the responses folks. I am now a CA resident, with CA ID, lease on a house, utility bills under my name, car registration, etc. I have no intention of selling any of my guns when I registered them with CA DOJ. However, when my personal loan with a financial institution that I was suppose to use partially for school expenses got screwed up, I had to look around for ways to raise funds.

I guess I will have to hold on to my pistols for now until I verify with CA DOJ myself on what options I have.

Thanks again.

Quiet
05-30-2009, 5:05 AM
I guess I will have to hold on to my pistols for now until I verify with CA DOJ myself on what options I have.

You established CA residency.
You sent in your New Resident Handgun Report.
You recieved confirmation from CA DOJ concerning the registration of the handguns you brought to CA.
You can legally sell (PPT) any of the handguns you brought with you. :thumbsup:
Post what you're selling in the WTS forum.

bohoki
05-30-2009, 10:05 AM
you have a time period to register your handgun if you choose to sell it within that grace period you dont sill have to register it do you? seems like a waste of $20 to register it then to ppt it

hoffmang
05-30-2009, 10:09 AM
Thank you for the responses folks. I am now a CA resident, with CA ID, lease on a house, utility bills under my name, car registration, etc. I have no intention of selling any of my guns when I registered them with CA DOJ. However, when my personal loan with a financial institution that I was suppose to use partially for school expenses got screwed up, I had to look around for ways to raise funds.

You should feel free to sell what your economic needs require. I was responding above to having a friend fly or drive in with an unrostered handgun. You are a bonafide "personal handgun importer" who doesn't have the same restrictions on sale.

-Gene

Turbinator
05-31-2009, 7:34 AM

Be careful about verifying too much with the DOJ. They are notorious for giving out bad info.

Turby

Nirrad
05-28-2010, 12:37 AM
you have a time period to register your handgun if you choose to sell it within that grace period you dont sill have to register it do you? seems like a waste of $20 to register it then to ppt it

http://www.ag.ca.gov/firearms/ab991.php (http://www.ag.ca.gov/firearms/ab991.php)
Any person who moves into California and who brings any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person is considered to be a "Personal Handgun Importer" and is required to do one of the following within 60 days:

Sell or transfer the handgun(s) to a California licensed firearms dealer or to another individual using a California licensed firearms dealer to conduct the transaction.

So if you move here you can either fill out the New Resident Report and send $20 bucks - or - PPT (without sending the form) as soon as you establish residency and get an ID?

hoffmang
05-28-2010, 8:37 PM
http://www.ag.ca.gov/firearms/ab991.php (http://www.ag.ca.gov/firearms/ab991.php)

So if you move here you can either fill out the New Resident Report and send $20 bucks - or - PPT (without sending the form) as soon as you establish residency and get an ID?

Both work and both are legal. The only issue is that you do need a CA ID of some sort (even though you shouldn't.)

-Gene

Nirrad
05-28-2010, 11:41 PM
Thank you for the confirmation. :)