PDA

View Full Version : Scopes options

i_kai
05-29-2009, 8:43 PM
i'm in the process of building my first AR and have a eotech 512 and looking to have a scope set with it. something with a 3x or 5x mag. what are my options? brand-wise? quality-wise? and of course, price-wise?

i'm new to the AR world. thanks!!

aplinker
05-29-2009, 8:58 PM
Are you asking about a scope or using a magnifier in conjunction with the EOTech 512?

i_kai
05-29-2009, 8:59 PM
thanks ucla, i'm asking about using a mag scope in conjunction with the eotech 512....

aplinker
05-29-2009, 9:12 PM
OK, then first off, that would be called just a magnifier. A scope has a reticle along with the magnification. Your EO will be providing your reticle.

There are 3 "real" ones, and a bunch of knock-offs. 3-4X is about the right magnification.

The Aimpoint 3X (really about 3.25X) is the champ, as it's cheaper and works with the best mount out there - the LaRue flip-to-side.

The EOTech 4X (really about 3.75X) is very nice, but about twice as much. Their 3X version is good, but the Aimpoint is better.

There are a bunch of knock-offs available on airsoft sites and eBay. They vary in quality. For range use they'll be just fine as a way to see how you like it.

One way to go is the LaRue Po' Boy, which comes with a (albeit not great) Henhsholdt magnifier and flip-to-side. It will work with the Aimpoint or similar should you decide to upgrade in the future.

Now, one last thing... When you decide on getting the LaRue mount you'll need to consider whether you want it to work directly with the EOTech or you want to use the Aimpoint version, which will require a riser for the EO. This might be the better option, as you will then be able to use the FTS mount with the new generation of EOs and real Aimpoints.

Lastly, you might want to consider just switching to something like a Trijicon Accupoint. For about $200 less (if you sell your EOTech) than any of the "real" options, you'll get a 1-4X scope.