PDA

View Full Version : LEGALITY OF MAG REPAIR KIT

gemini1
05-29-2009, 11:01 AM
I know that it is legal to sell/buy hi cap mags in repair kit/dis-assembled form. However does anybody know or can you point me to the specific CA law that the sellin/buying such a kit is legal?

I'm convincing an out of state seller to do business with us Californians, and I've ask him to look at our forum, he is now asking me about links in this forum with regards to the selling of dis-assembled hi cap mags.
All I found was this;
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=124709

If you guys are aware of other threads, or the actual site on the DOJ/FA section, pls let me know.

Thanks

ddimick
05-29-2009, 11:06 AM
Laws don't define what is legal, just what is not legal.

ohsmily
05-29-2009, 11:06 AM
I know that it is legal to sell/buy hi cap mags in repair kit/dis-assembled form. However does anybody know or can you point me to the specific CA law that the sellin/buying such a kit is legal?

I'm convincing an out of state seller to do business with us Californians, and I've ask him to look at our forum, he is now asking me about links in this forum with regards to the selling of dis-assembled hi cap mags.
All I found was this;

If you guys are aware of other threads, or the actual site on the DOJ/FA section, pls let me know.

Thanks

Laws generally address what is PROHIBITED, not what is ALLOWED. There is no law explicitly stating that "magazine rebuild kits may be imported." The DOJ has issued an opinion that in their opinion it doesn't violate 12020.

A kit and parts are not magazines.

Josh3239
05-29-2009, 11:12 AM
PC 12020 states that a magazine is an ammunition feeding device (as opposed to a magazine spring, body, follower, or baseplate). In other words, the item must feed rounds into the firearm. Since a follower is not capable of feeding rounds into a firearm alone it cannot be argued that it is a magazine/ammunition feeding device.

44Mag will sell rebuilds to us. Links this guy 44mag's policy: http://www.44mag.com/rk.asp

There is a letter floating around from the former AG stating it was legal, unfortunetly my link doesn't work. Hopefully someone else can swoop in here with it. In the meantime I will try to re post it.

munkeeboi
05-29-2009, 11:55 AM
Here's the link to the CA DOJ letter

http://www.hoffmang.com/firearms/DOJ-large-cap-magazines-2005-11-10.pdf

joelogic
05-29-2009, 11:56 AM
give you business to those willing to sell to CA. Sooner or later everyone will catch on.

reidnez
05-29-2009, 1:06 PM
...44Mag will sell rebuilds to us. Links this guy 44mag's policy: http://www.44mag.com/rk.asp...

I wonder if they'll ship C-mags as a rebuild kit. You know, to replace my damaged ones...:)

Then again, I'm moving out-of-state in about a year anyway and will be able to reunite my rifle with its testicles then. I can wait.

In any case, it is always good to see dealers who aren't afraid to do business with the people of California. We shouldn't be punished for having bad legislators.

Josh3239
05-29-2009, 1:23 PM
Of course they will. Just remove 4 screws. Why would it be any different then any other mag :confused:

dchang0
05-29-2009, 1:24 PM
give you business to those willing to sell to CA. Sooner or later everyone will catch on.

Yeah, but here's a valuable chance to convert/educate a seller--we shouldn't pass this up! Go gemini1!

gemini1
05-29-2009, 5:25 PM
Thanks guys. I will direct him to this thread asap. This is a big help, I initially directed him to the for sale thread, pointing out that the out of states sellers doing business with us Californians.
By the way, the guy's from Primary Arms, he sells Aimpoint clones that has gotten good reviews from AR15.com,

supersonic
05-29-2009, 5:35 PM
44Mag will sell rebuilds to us. Links this guy 44mag's policy: http://www.44mag.com/rk.asp

+100%! That's exactly how I get GB sellers to work with me. Has worked like a charm about 19 out of 20 times!:thumbsup:

marsh1
06-23-2009, 6:34 PM
Hello

I am the dealer gemini1 is talking about. We want to support you. I am waiting to here back about the inquires I made on becoming a site sponsor. Once that happens I will have more info.

Thanks
Marshall

Plisk
06-23-2009, 6:48 PM
On the subject of magazine parts, I have a hypothetical question.

Is it illegal to have a magazine body with a baseplate in a bullet button equiped lower for display purposes? For the look and feel of a 30 rounder, but without a 10/30. I know its easier to just not do it, or use a 10/30 but I'm still curious.

AJAX22
06-23-2009, 6:57 PM

Is it illegal to have a magazine body with a baseplate in a bullet button equiped lower for display purposes? For the look and feel of a 30 rounder, but without a 10/30. I know its easier to just not do it, or use a 10/30 but I'm still curious.

I would avoid it....

the law states ammunition feeding device.... you could in theory fill the mag up with ammo, turn the gun upsidown and it would feed (poorly, but still would work)

just get a 10/30

Jicko
06-23-2009, 6:58 PM

All I found was this;

Thanks

Follow the link in my signature.

G17GUY
06-23-2009, 7:01 PM

Nope, no can do. You need a MMG feature less build to use HC mags.

97F1504RAD
06-23-2009, 7:34 PM
Hello

I am the dealer gemini1 is talking about. We want to support you. I am waiting to here back about the inquires I made on becoming a site sponsor. Once that happens I will have more info.

Thanks
Marshall

Very good, Welcome aboard and Thanks

aplinker
06-24-2009, 4:15 AM
I would avoid it....

the law states ammunition feeding device.... you could in theory fill the mag up with ammo, turn the gun upsidown and it would feed (poorly, but still would work)

just get a 10/30

by that logic, you'd be able to turn the rifle upside down and have an infinite capacity feeding device.

A magazine without a follower and spring isn't a magazine.

till44
06-24-2009, 4:35 AM
By the way, the guy's from Primary Arms, he sells Aimpoint clones that has gotten good reviews from AR15.com,

Marshal is great to work with and his micro dot has been working like a champ on my AR.

AJAX22
06-24-2009, 5:12 AM
by that logic, you'd be able to turn the rifle upside down and have an infinite capacity feeding device.

A magazine without a follower and spring isn't a magazine.

yes... but the law is not specific about magazines being the issue.... its ammunition feeding devices....

if you have a gravity feed hopper or feed shoot(which do exist) it can clearly hold more than 10 rounds and it can feed the ammunition....

which could be interpenetrated as being illegal.

I'm not saying it wouldn't be a defend able case, I'm just saying Its not worth the hassle over the cost of a 10/30