PDA

View Full Version : Multiple magazine methods

command_liner
05-29-2009, 10:16 AM
It is possible, and not all that difficult, to design a semi-automatic
rifle in the AR and AK form that takes multiple magazines. Each
magazine can hold at most 10 rounds. Any combination of one or
more magazines can be used.

The same sort of reasoning can be applied to handguns.

This approach seems to be an obvious way to side-step the current
California laws designed to limit ammo capacity in firearms.

Is it worth going through the effort to make such arms? I could
do the work, but would the result be commercially viable? Perhaps
it would be worth the work just to cause Allison to have a stroke?

truthseeker
05-29-2009, 10:23 AM
The problem with that though is that I think the way it is worderd in the law is "ammunition feeding device that holds no more than 10 rounds".

Untamed1972
05-29-2009, 11:46 AM
I think it would be eaiser to just challenge the stupid laws and get them thrown out then it would to hafta design a whole new kind of rifle just to get around the 10rd limit restrictions. Cuz once you do that then they'll admend the law to now include your new design and you're back to square one.

The time for side-stepping and work-arounds is over. It's time for more frontal assaults on the stupid laws.

bohoki
05-29-2009, 12:22 PM
yea it woudl be cool to have a say sten type upper with a magzine out the side for an ar-15 and have an uzi mag in the receiver well when the side mag is out slap the bottom mag in the rest of the way or if you can really count on the 9th bang slap in the uzi mag and you wont have a double feed problem and no real interuption

or get real clever and have the magazine change over automated like instead of a bolt hold open on last shot have a magazine eject on last shot and lever magazine b into place then have it use magazine b while you slap in a new magazine in well a while still firing then b autoejects and causes mag A to move into position

or better yet some kind of magazine for your magazines it would hold 10 round magazines so it woudl not be an ammunition feed device it would be a "ammunition feed device" feed device

i woud imagine it looking kind of like a barret 82 magazine mounted sideways full of sten magazines have one magazine on top as it fires have an extra long follwer that will cause it to fling out of the side well the next pops into place

Untamed1972
05-29-2009, 1:18 PM
Ehh......I just need to get back in the garage and finish perfecting my ray-gun!

jumbopanda
05-29-2009, 2:35 PM
Why would you want to design some horrible abomination of a gun just to get around these dumb laws?

curtisfong
05-29-2009, 2:45 PM
Why would you want to design some horrible abomination of a gun just to get around these dumb laws?

What, abominations like MonsterMan grips and bullet buttons? And non-"flashhiding" compensators? And 10/30 mags? Who would do such a thing?

bohoki
05-29-2009, 2:47 PM
What, abominations like MonsterMan grips and bullet buttons? And non-"flashhiding" compensators? And 10/30 mags? Who would do such a thing?

thank you i was going to call the u-15 abominable as is the bullet button

The Wingnut
05-29-2009, 5:19 PM
A manner by which to feed multiple low-capacity mags to a firearm in order to seamlessly or with minimal effort feed more than 10 rounds consecutively might not stand up in court.

Sure, you feasibly COULD design something that would sidestep the low-cap mag law to the letter and even be completely legal, but you probably are going to have a hard time in court proving that fact. Such a contraption might be viewed in and of itself as a singular feeding device and not several separate components that have been assembled into a system or even a number of standalone devices.

In the event you really wanted to give this a try, the primary obstacle would be feeding the magazines into a common well - you have to somehow be able to switch between them or feed from them simultaneously and mechanically defeat the feed lips or figure out how to strip cartridges from them outside of the firearm's action.

Is it possible? Maybe. I imagine such a system would be prone to some serious FTF issues. You're better off jungle clipping your mags.

JDay
05-29-2009, 8:29 PM
Whats the point, you'll still have to use/carry around a bunch of 10 round magazines.