PDA

View Full Version : Boyscout camp considered a school?

caduckgunner
05-29-2009, 8:28 AM
Would a boyscout camp be considered a "school" in reference to ccw while fishing and open carry in the forest? We are going my one of my favorite camping places on the Stanislaus River. Across the river is a boyscout camp. If there are boy scouts there, would it be considered a school? I know my camp is considered my "home", but what about ccw while fishing or if I decided to open carry while hiking? Not that I expect to see a ranger or sheriff down there, but you never know.

demnogis
05-29-2009, 8:41 AM
I don't think so. They would have to be registered as a private school or be part of a school's educational trip.

pullnshoot25
05-29-2009, 9:56 AM
I don't think so. They would have to be registered as a private school or be part of a school's educational trip.

No more than a preschool, which is a big GO AHEAD for carrying!

The Wingnut
05-29-2009, 10:37 AM
Camp High Sierra? Doubt it, there's a range there!

caduckgunner
05-29-2009, 10:41 AM
Camp High Sierra? Doubt it, there's a range there!

Nope, that is not it. I can't give it away, it never crowded there, and if I tell, I'm afraid I will ruin it :)

demnogis
05-29-2009, 10:44 AM
When I was in Boyscouts (BSA), we learned marksmanship - probably since many of the dads involved were frequent shooters. Too bad there wasn't a badge for it.

There was, however, a badge for archery.

MasterYong
05-29-2009, 11:03 AM
Don't tell ANYONE, especially in an online forum.

My favorite camping spot from when I was a kid was COMPLETELY RUINED and overrun by littering, fat bastard yuppies that all bought some book published like ten years ago called something to the effect of "the 100 best-maintained but least-used campsites in California" I'm not sure on the exact title.

I went there about 12 times/year with my family for almost 15 years, and we never, ever saw even ONE person at that campground. Then, one weekend (memorial day weekend ironically) we got there and out of over 40 sites there was only ONE that wasn't filled! The campers filled us in on how they found out (the book, one even showed us their copy).

I swear if I ever meet the guy that wrote that book I'm going to punch him right in the balls. Seriously. He ruined my childhood camping spot- it's damn near a dump site now and there have been three forest fires in the area from runaway campfires since that book was written. It's even worse to think how many other folks got screwed by this idiot trying to make a quick buck off of other people's pastimes. At LEAST 100 awesome spots RUINED by greed.

DON'T. TELL. ANYONE!!!!

demnogis
05-29-2009, 11:09 AM
It's a double-edged sword.

If the campground doesn't get enough attendance, chances are it will be "phased out" to being just BLM or municipal land.

If campgrounds get too much attendance, they stop becoming a family's "favorite spot".

I'll openly tell you about my favorite spot: Halcomb Valley.

Now... on the BLM map I can't tell what White space, green space, yellow space etc mean... I assume green and yellow are NF, white is open ... ?

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/forestvisitormaps/pdfs/sanbernardino-south.pdf

caduckgunner
05-29-2009, 11:34 AM
I'll openly tell you about my favorite spot: Halcomb Valley.

I have come to the conclusion that camping in SoCal is a joke. There are WAY to many people down here, and the forest is always packed with idiots. That is what I miss most about living in Stockton, an easy 1-2 hour drive to the un crowded mountains to camp.

acegunnr
05-29-2009, 12:48 PM
When I was in Boyscouts (BSA), we learned marksmanship - probably since many of the dads involved were frequent shooters. Too bad there wasn't a badge for it.

There is a merit badge for Rifle Shooting and Shotgun Shooting. Blackpowder is also allowed. The Venturing program allow pistols, larger caliber rifles and hunting.

MasterYong
05-29-2009, 12:48 PM
It's a double-edged sword.

If the campground doesn't get enough attendance, chances are it will be "phased out" to being just BLM or municipal land.

If campgrounds get too much attendance, they stop becoming a family's "favorite spot".

the spot I'm talking about was right next to a fire station and was consistently kept in top condition in case there was a forest fire in the trinity alps so they could use the campground for a staging area and temporary residence for firefighters that are flown in from out of the area to help. I don't think it would have been phased out, it had been maintained like that for almost 70 years, but if it was phased out so be it. The only things I liked about it being a campground was the safety of the iron fire rings and the regularly pumped pit toilets, and I can easily do without both (I do now that the old spot is bunk).

Ironically, it wasn't even a campground that you had to pay for- it was free! So attendance wouldn't have mattered, just necessity.

sigh. oh well.

MasterYong
05-29-2009, 12:52 PM

I don't know how long ago you were in Boy Scouts but I was in the Scouts about 10 years ago and there was a badge for marksmanship, and the badge is still available today. It's called the "Rifle Shooting" merit badge. I never got mine, actually the only badge I ever got was Wilderness Survival. I spent too much time at the Scouts dicking around playing football and such and not even trying to get a merit badge. One badge in 4 years. Oh well.