PDA

View Full Version : Breaking in AR

67Roadster
05-28-2009, 7:52 PM
Going out this weekend to break in the AR...what should I do? Anything special for a new barrel? Thanks.

aplinker
05-28-2009, 7:54 PM
Spray down the BCG WET, shake, reinstall. Swab out the bore. You're done

AR + Ammo = bang

Darklyte27
05-28-2009, 8:04 PM
Step 1 shoot ammo
Step 2 shoot ammo
Step 3 shoot ammo

Group B
05-28-2009, 8:28 PM
I just took my new LMT CQB MRP Piston rifle to the range for its first time the other day, and it was very well-lubed from the factory.

Even though it is just a carbine with a chrome-lined barrel, I broke in the barrel with a box of PMC bronze .223, and after every shot I jagged a patch wet with shooter's choice cleaner, followed by two dry patches.

Good to go.

aplinker
05-28-2009, 8:29 PM
I just took my new LMT CQB MRP Piston rifle to the range for its first time the other day, and it was very well-lubed from the factory.

Even though it is just a carbine with a chrome-lined barrel, I broke in the barrel with a box of PMC bronze .223, and after every shot I jagged a patch wet with shooter's choice cleaner, followed by two dry patches.

Good to go.

There's no reason whatsoever to do any sort of breaking in procedure with a chrome lined barrel.... unless you like placebos. ;)

05-28-2009, 8:48 PM
I would say UCLA covered the issue.

Mob
05-28-2009, 8:56 PM
i tell my friends to fire off 300 rounds(nothing crazy fast) to break-in the upper (not barrel) then sight in. works good for us so far. it smooths out the action. this is my opinion.... soo you know... YMMV

J_Rock
05-28-2009, 8:58 PM
1. Lube it, clean the bore
2.Throw it down your driveway(unloaded),hard. If your neighbors are liberal do it in the garage but you need to do it twice to ensure good break in.
3. Take it to the range and do a few mag dumps with the crappiest ammo you can find.
4. Smoke a cigar, ash in the ejection port.
5. Take it home, throw it in the safe and watch some TV.

Guaranteed to add years of wear to your AR

hawk1
05-28-2009, 9:03 PM
Shoot the **** out of it!...

tango5
05-28-2009, 9:27 PM
1. Lube it, clean the bore
2.Throw it down your driveway(unloaded),hard. If your neighbors are liberal do it in the garage but you need to do it twice to ensure good break in.
3. Take it to the range and do a few mag dumps with the crappiest ammo you can find.
4. Smoke a cigar, ash in the ejection port.
5. Take it home, throw it in the safe and watch some TV.

Guaranteed to add years of wear to your AR

LMAO!!! I never understood why people break in AR's. Its a rifle, not some hand build precision Ferrari engine that needs a break in. Its a rifle, you put ammo in, pull trigger, and repeat, thats your break in.

tomd1584
05-28-2009, 9:34 PM
LMAO!!! I never understood why people break in AR's. Its a rifle, not some hand build precision Ferrari engine that needs a break in. Its a rifle, you put ammo in, pull trigger, and repeat, thats your break in.

:thumbsup:

swerv512
05-28-2009, 9:41 PM
do what the army does....

DRM6000
05-28-2009, 9:50 PM
for one of the ar's:

1) clean
2) store in safe
3) take new ar to a rifle class
4) shoot
5) shoot some more
6) repeat steps 4 and 5 for three more days

ohsmily
05-28-2009, 10:12 PM

Why? What does that do you think that does for your chrome lined barrel? Why run the patch?

gewgaw
05-29-2009, 12:26 AM

Some rifles these days are priced higher than (used, non-Ferrari) cars! Yeah, I'm Gunbroker-bitter. :rolleyes:

luchador768
05-29-2009, 6:27 AM

Good to go.

You didn't really break it in, you just shot 20 rounds really slowly.:thumbsup:

JTROKS
05-29-2009, 8:03 AM
If your AR is a varmint getter that you expect to shoot half moa or less usual barrel is a high grade Krieger or similar match grade barrel then make sure it's clean prior to shooting and just take it easy shooting match grade ammo while sighting it in. Then treat it like a queen, shoot 3 or 5 shot groups, admire it while letting it cool down, admire the tiny little groups then call it a day. Go shoot some varmints.

If your AR is chrome lined tacticool Iraq/Afghanistan bound, then make sure it is clean and action is lubed to specs then shoot it until you run out of ammo. It doesn't hurt to admire the 2.5 - 4" 5 shot group at 100 yards you just did. If you have a 10" 100 round group then it's a good day. Have fun.

IGOTDIRT4U
05-29-2009, 8:27 AM
Spray down the BCG WET, shake, reinstall. Swab out the bore. You're done

AR + Ammo = bang

BCG?

i1800collect
05-29-2009, 8:35 AM
BCG?

i think he's referring to the bolt carrier group

WokMaster1
05-29-2009, 8:46 AM
BCG?

Big Chinese Girl.;)

Group B
05-29-2009, 9:42 AM
There's no reason whatsoever to do any sort of breaking in procedure with a chrome lined barrel.... unless you like placebos. ;)

Why? What does that do you think that does for your chrome lined barrel? Why run the patch?

You didn't really break it in, you just shot 20 rounds really slowly.:thumbsup:

Uh, I'm a n00b?

3GunFunShooter
05-29-2009, 10:49 AM
When I got my JP barrel set up I did do a break in. Shoot 5 clean, shoot 5 clean up to 50 then shoot 10 clean shoot 10 clean up to 100.
It will shoot 1" at 300 yds. with Black Hills 77 Gr. Well worth the time to break in the barrel.
For my 16" DPMS upper I just shot it.

MasterYong
05-29-2009, 11:00 AM
I did a lot of research on this when I built my first couple of ARs, and I found a LOT of misinformation. You should read this thread:

http://www.snipercountry.com/Articles/Barrel_BreakIn.asp

It's a bit of an eye-opener, and the "experts" seem to agree with the reasoning. After reading that thread and several CalGuns threads that referenced it, i decided to ignore any semblance of a break-in process for my new barrels. Know what happened? Sub MOA using PMC brass 55gr at 200 yards with a DPMS 16" A3 flat-top upper. That's what happened. The DPMS upper (and barrel) shoots MUCH better than I do. I've never had groupings like this with any other rifle that I own, and I have "accurized" "national match" grade bolt-actions in the collection.

Forget the break in, just take good care of the barrel. Keep it clean between shootings, and have fun shooting it.

l_Z_l
05-29-2009, 11:20 AM
i thought breaking in a barrel was only for a precision rifle??

YoungGun2
05-29-2009, 2:13 PM
After the first day at the range give it a good cleaning, I say this manly so get in to the habit of cleaning it.

As far as breaking it in goes just lube up the bolt and shoot...Have fun!!

AlliedArmory
05-29-2009, 4:46 PM
haha i just throughly cleaned my rifle....

shot about 200 rds my 1st day out.

cleaned when i got home...

breaking it in is done!