PDA

View Full Version : M1A question

DanHuuN
05-28-2009, 6:18 PM
So I am in the market to build myself a M1A and cam across this post on Gunbroker...

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=129935681

What I am curious about is the picture that states it is "Not Legal In California" if purchased after December 31, 1999...

The only thing I can see being a problem on that rifle would be the "Flash hider" that is installed...

Can someone tell what makes this Illegal? or if the OP is just misinformed about our gun laws?

aplinker
05-28-2009, 6:24 PM
That model has a flash hider.

That's it.

So, as configured, it is illegal in CA.

Requiem
05-28-2009, 6:25 PM
The only thing making that sweet thing illegal is the flash hider. If the seller will negotiate and takes the flash hider off it's completely legal. You'd just hafta buy a muzzle break to replace the flash hider later when you receive the rifle. Great price for a great lookin rifle btw.

KaTooM
05-28-2009, 6:27 PM
"Flash supressor" is the reason, I own a calif legal M1A and it has a muzzle brake with no bayo lug. Also do not put a stock with a pistol grip on it and (use 10 round mags only) sorry this was my bad This is only true on a rifle with evil features and mag lock.

DanHuuN
05-28-2009, 6:35 PM
That's what I thought.....

I guess the Springfield box was made sometime around the whole ban going around....

dfletcher
05-28-2009, 6:38 PM
The CA OK brake costs about $125.00. You can use mags of any capacity so long as they are otherwise legally owned and the gun is configured with the standard M1A stock.

1919A4
05-28-2009, 7:02 PM
Buy it.
Then put this on it. Cost is 75 bucks.
http://www.smithenterprise.com/imagesprod/M14DC-calcomp.lg.jpg
If the seller is willing to do the deal for you and take off the flash hider do it. If you need the tool to send the guy to make the deal happen for you let me know. I can loan you one. You just have to pay for the shipping if you are out of the area.

Ishoot
05-28-2009, 7:10 PM
Damn, what a retarded law....sorry just had to say it.

Springfield45
05-28-2009, 7:59 PM
Damn, what a retarded law....sorry just had to say it.

It is a totally retarded law. I have a M1A that I bought before they added the flash hider/suppressor part to the law. I changed mine to a comp so it will not be (Expo facto) confiscated by Barny Fife.

Mob
05-28-2009, 8:58 PM
Buy it.
Then put this on it. Cost is 75 bucks.
http://www.smithenterprise.com/imagesprod/M14DC-calcomp.lg.jpg
If the seller is willing to do the deal for you and take off the flash hider do it. If you need the tool to send the guy to make the deal happen for you let me know. I can loan you one. You just have to pay for the shipping if you are out of the area.
the smith is great but LOUD... very loud

dfletcher
05-29-2009, 7:07 PM
Isn't the Smith a screw on type? I'd like to put one on my Scout, but assumed it wasn't a straight swap.

mitchsti
05-29-2009, 9:00 PM
The CA OK brake costs about $125.00. You can use mags of any capacity so long as they are otherwise legally owned and the gun is configured with the standard M1A stock.

so let me get this straight you are saying if you have preban 20 or 30 round clips its ok to use them but only if the rifle is made in 99 or before ?

Jonathan Doe
05-29-2009, 9:16 PM
I have a dummy flash suppressor. It looks real and pefectly lega in CA.

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq263/5topgun/DSC_0003Small-2.jpg

RobT2K
05-29-2009, 9:18 PM
No, it can be made yesterday, as long as it has a compensator instead of a flash hider. It is the combination of detachable magazine and another "evil feature" that makes it illegal.

+1 on the dumb law

mitchsti
05-29-2009, 9:35 PM
No, it can be made yesterday, as long as it has a compensator instead of a flash hider. It is the combination of detachable magazine and another "evil feature" that makes it illegal.

+1 on the dumb law

so with my cali compliant m1a I can pop a 20 round clip and not get any bs from anyone?
from everything that has been drilled into my head for the past 2 years since I got back into firearms the big thing I was told is nothing over 10 rounds not even in my m1a which was bought in cali in 2007

ponderosa
05-29-2009, 10:06 PM
20 round clip

if you had the 20 round magazine (legally in CA) before they were outlawed...

dfletcher
05-30-2009, 12:24 AM
so let me get this straight you are saying if you have preban 20 or 30 round clips its ok to use them but only if the rifle is made in 99 or before ?

Nope. I'm saying that whether he bought the M1A the first year they were made or in 1999 or 2008 or next week he can use his legally owned +10 capacity magazines.

For example, I have about 30 AR 15 hi caps. I didn't have an AR for a while, kept the mags and last year bought a Volquartsen Evolution. The mags are old, the gun is new but the age of the gun or when it was bought isn't important.

Sumo99
06-02-2009, 10:35 AM
Isn't the Smith a screw on type? I'd like to put one on my Scout, but assumed it wasn't a straight swap.
I have the screw on (CA Comp) type on my scout. Just take off the stock break and screw on the new one. However, you will need to replace your gas cylinder lock to either the GLFS (Gas Lock Front Sight) with a dovetail or the GLFS-H. The dove tail uses your existing front sight while the H (hooded) looks similar to a HK front sight.

If you don't want to change your gas lock, there is also USCG muzzle break and uses your original front sight.

X-NewYawker
06-02-2009, 1:16 PM
so with my cali compliant m1a I can pop a 20 round clip and not get any bs from anyone?
from everything that has been drilled into my head for the past 2 years since I got back into firearms the big thing I was told is nothing over 10 rounds not even in my m1a which was bought in cali in 2007

Yes.
If you had the magazines before the ban.
The M1-A is NOT an assault weapon unless it has a flash suppressor or another evil feature.

legal with Muzzle brake:

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/_MG_7491.jpg

smle-man
06-02-2009, 1:27 PM
I have a dummy flash suppressor. It looks real and pefectly lega in CA.

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq263/5topgun/DSC_0003Small-2.jpg

The DOJ may consider that a flash hider even if it doesn't have the slots milled all the way through. I was told by a DOJ'r that any device that diminishes the flash at all is a flash hider and the solid tubes are a lot like the old BAR and other pre war flash hiders. FWIW.

kalguns
06-02-2009, 1:40 PM
I hate stupid gun laws, but they are the law.