PDA

View Full Version : Burglers got my AR....

Calder
05-28-2009, 5:38 PM
I just got home today and found my house ransacked and robbed. Among all the stuff that was stolen was one of my AR's and a stripped lower.
The complete rifle:
80% lower in black DuraCoat that I finished
RRA 6 POS collapsible stock
This Upper: http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=1387
Bullet button of corse
Harris Bipod
YHM flip up front and rear sights
KNS Pins

The stripped lower that was stolen was also an finished 80% in black finished, with a 6POS collapsible stock.

If anyone hears about, or comes across anyone trying to sell my rifle, please notify the police

The only reason the rifle was out was I took it to the range over the Holiday weekend for its first firing...I finished it just last week.

I hope this post makes sense, Im sorry if it doesn't but Im frustrated to the point of tears at the moment. The robbery occurred in West Hills.

aplinker
05-28-2009, 5:42 PM
I'm really sorry to hear about your loss. Especially of a rifle you actually made yourself. I hope it shows up.

Ian
05-28-2009, 5:42 PM
no safe? i hope the cops find the dude, or at least your guns

edit: just read that you had your rifle out because u just shot it

freonr22
05-28-2009, 5:43 PM
so 80% no serial #..... tough to refind

J_Rock
05-28-2009, 5:43 PM
I just got home today and found my house ransacked and robbed. Among all the stuff that was stolen was one of my AR's and a stripped lower.
The complete rifle:
Bullet button of corse
Harris Bipod
KNS Pins

The stripped lower that was stolen was also an finished 80% in black finished, with a 6POS collapsible stock.

If anyone hears about, or comes across anyone trying to sell my rifle, please notify the police and call me 818-917-3109.

The only reason the rifle was out was I took it to the range over the Holiday weekend for its first firing...I finished it just last week.

I hope this post makes sense, Im sorry if it doesn't but Im frustrated to the point of tears at the moment. The robbery occurred in West Hills.

That sucks man.What are the details on the robbery? Did they specifically target you because they know you are a gun owner? Was the AR all they took?

Ishoot
05-28-2009, 5:47 PM
Damn, sorry about your loss. Hopefully they'll be able to catch the bastard(s) that did it.

Electric Factory
05-28-2009, 5:47 PM
Mind blowing.
Extremely sorry to hear about your loss, I can only imagine how angry you must be.

E Pluribus Unum
05-28-2009, 5:49 PM
That is rough.... one TRULY untraceable "assault" weapon on the streets. I hope your misfortune does not cause an innocent person to be shot with your OLL. That is just the bad press we need.

"Officer killed with home-made, non-traceable assault weapon" assuming the thief ditches that bullet button.

aplinker
05-28-2009, 5:54 PM
Not to make light of your situation, but I can't help but thinking of this every time I see your thread title typo...

http://www.searchviews.com/wp-content/themes/clean-copy-full-3-column-1/images/hamburglar.gif

bohoki
05-28-2009, 5:56 PM
so did they break into your safe?

cortayack
05-28-2009, 6:06 PM
Thats why I ever leave my guns out, I'm paranoid! They are locked up or hidded......Sorry for your bad luck.............

Bruce3
05-28-2009, 6:08 PM
sorry to hear about your loss, that really sucks to lose your 1 week old build. my house has been broken in to as well and i feel your pain. i got in the habit of locking my guns up unless im in the same room with them.

dieselpower
05-28-2009, 6:11 PM
New AR15, taken to the range one time, stolen a couple days later.

YOU KNOW THE THIEF. It's an inside job, period.

Josh3239
05-28-2009, 6:15 PM
Man, I am sorry to hear. That really sucks. I am so paranoid about my guns, whenever I leave a shooting range I check the area like 3 times and I even have to check my trunk periodically so I am absolutely sure I didn't leave my guns at the range or in the parking lot.

Also, it seems most people on Calguns use burglury and robbery interchangably. They are very different, robbery is taking something with the threat of force or force whereas burglury is breaking into and then committing theft. I normally wouldn't care but whenever I read stories like this on calguns it seems people think they are the same and use them interchangably.

Paratus et Vigilans
05-28-2009, 6:17 PM
New AR15, taken to the range one time, stolen a couple days later.

+1 Look close to home.

hawaii five-0
05-28-2009, 6:18 PM
Diesalpower is correct.Almost all burglaries are commited by neighbors or aquaintances.In this case,someone who you showed that gun to knew it was untraceable.Without a serial # it will be difficult getting it back even if the LEO's recover it.FIND THE THEIF YOURSELF.Good luck

SkyStorm82
05-28-2009, 6:23 PM
How did they gain entry into your house? What time did it occur?

aermotor
05-28-2009, 6:30 PM
Good point on it being someone local or from the range, anyone who knows you just finished it.

Hope it all works out, but sadly you were asking for it leaving your guns out, really sucks no doubt. Gotta keep them stowed always. Every time I leave the house I make sure everything is put away and not just left out for this exact reason. Go get 'em!

VaderSpade
05-28-2009, 6:36 PM
That is rough.... one TRULY untraceable "assault" weapon on the streets. I hope your misfortune does not cause an innocent person to be shot with your OLL. That is just the bad press we need.

"Officer killed with home-made, non-traceable assault weapon" assuming the thief ditches that bullet button.

Unnecessary FUD

+1 on an inside job.

nicoroshi
05-28-2009, 6:43 PM
+1 Look close to home.

Agreed.
Sorry about your loss, and I hope they catch them but seriously look close to home for the culprit.

ArkinDomino
05-28-2009, 6:46 PM
Not to make light of your situation, but I can't help but thinking of this every time I see your thread title typo...

http://www.searchviews.com/wp-content/themes/clean-copy-full-3-column-1/images/hamburglar.gif

:rofl2:

DREADNOUGHT78
05-28-2009, 6:53 PM
I will sometimes leave a rifle out and this is a big reality check for me I am truly sorry about your misfortune but I will make sur to lock up all my stuff from now on. I will learn from your mistake so at least in your bad situation you have helped another.Once again I have to agree with a few others in the fact that it was more than likely an inside job.

GreyMinotaur
05-28-2009, 6:55 PM
Looking for ideas here. How do you guys lock up your firearms? I'm trying to avoid buying a 500 pound safe because it says "steal me" to anyone that breaks into my place.

1919A4
05-28-2009, 6:57 PM
Thats sucks man.You gotta have a safe now days. You can pick up a 600-800lbs safe for only 700 or so. Bolt it to the foundation in the corner of the room and have your hinges away from the wall. Did the cops give you **** for not having one. Sorry again for your loss. That sucks

jasonnorcal
05-28-2009, 7:10 PM
+1 for an inside job. If not a friend it could be a friend of a friend. Valuable lesson here. Tell no one what you got. Otherwise they'll tell someone and so on. I'm super paranoid cuz I don't have a safe yet. Sorry for your loss man.:(

West coast
05-28-2009, 7:10 PM
Sorry for your loss....I hope they get them.

Semperpluris
05-28-2009, 7:15 PM

That's cold dude. That's just the kind of stuff a Guy doesn't need to hear when he's down. Unnecessary :nono:

ohsmily
05-28-2009, 7:17 PM
How did they get your AR out of the safe?

Joe
05-28-2009, 7:21 PM
very sorry about your loss :(

hope you get your property back

X-NewYawker
05-28-2009, 7:25 PM
Damn! Sorry for your loss!
Last year punks broke into my car and stole about 1000 rounds that were in the car to be taken to the range. I called LAPD and they said, "Yeah, they'll do that."

virulosity
05-28-2009, 7:28 PM
Don't you hate the fact that you can't booby trap your stuff? I guess it would be bad for fire fighters if they had to come in an emergency though.

mrlonewolf
05-28-2009, 7:40 PM
I'm sorry about your loss, I just hope they'll burn in hell and you get your gear back.
Best of luck.

God Bless The Mauser
05-28-2009, 7:41 PM
Don't you hate the fact that you can't booby trap your stuff? I guess it would be bad for fire fighters if they had to come in an emergency though.

Rig the house like James Bond's car, if they try to break in it blows up:thumbsup:

Darklyte27
05-28-2009, 7:47 PM
No safe? or if you had a safe why didnt you put it back?
and where the hell is west hills?
you sure gave them a good opportunity

xounlistedxox
05-28-2009, 8:04 PM
I had the same thing happen back in 2007. 2 AR's, 2 SKS's, 1911, Glock 19, 3 Shotguns, Mini 14, Taurus .38, Walther P-22, a Beretta Jetfire, and my second car. When I got home my whole place was tossed, and all three safes taken completely out of the house.
I called the police and not only did it take them 2 hours to show up, but they sent a community service officer not even a real cop. They truly don't give a crap. Only one gun was recovered which was a shotgun.
I learned the hard way that no one keeps records of rifle serial numbers. All of my serial #'s as well as all of my DROS sheets were in the safe's. I did get two of the safes back with nothing in them of course. They never found my big safe.
Basically I'm trying to say... I know your pain and still feel it to this day. Most of what you see here was stolen and not recovered.
http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp240/xounlistedxox/img1243565842222.jpg
http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp240/xounlistedxox/all.jpg

n556
05-28-2009, 8:09 PM
Also, it seems most people on Calguns use burglury and robbery interchangably. They are very different, robbery is taking something with the threat of force or force whereas burglury is breaking into and then committing theft. I normally wouldn't care but whenever I read stories like this on calguns it seems people think they are the same and use them interchangably.

Actually Robbery is while in the pressence of a victim. It doesn't need be by force.
:43:

Solidsnake87
05-28-2009, 8:19 PM
Wow. I'm so sorry for this. In the future, always serialize those 80%s. At least if they get stolen they have an ID mark on them.

I had the same thing happen back in 2007. 2 AR's, 2 SKS's, 1911, Glock 19, 3 Shotguns, Mini 14, Taurus .38, Walther P-22, a Beretta Jetfire, and my second car. When I got home my whole place was tossed, and all three safes taken completely out of the house.
I called the police and not only did it take them 2 hours to show up, but they sent a community service officer not even a real cop. They truly don't give a crap. Only one gun was recovered which was a shotgun.
I learned the hard way that no one keeps records of rifle serial numbers. All of my serial #'s as well as all of my DROS sheets were in the safe's. I did get two of the safes back with nothing in them of course. They never found my big safe.
Basically I'm trying to say... I know your pain and still feel it to this day. Most of what you see here was stolen and not recovered.

HOLY CRAP!!! Did you hide your safes? If not, were they bolted down? How much did they weigh??? I recently added a lot of security to mine but seeing stuff like this makes me want to overdo it.

xbolt338
05-28-2009, 8:25 PM
ouch that blows...sorry man

Gator Monroe
05-28-2009, 8:30 PM
Looking for ideas here. How do you guys lock up your firearms? I'm trying to avoid buying a 500 pound safe because it says "steal me" to anyone that breaks into my place.

Tony Soprano false wall/hidden lazy susan rifle rack (episode where tony pulled a corner wall moulding and a false corner wall opened up to a lighted lazy susan roatary turning rifle rack (that could hold 10 rifles at least ) and all that was in it was an AKM & ONE HAND GRENADE !

UBFRAGD
05-28-2009, 8:39 PM
http://i343.photobucket.com/albums/o476/ubfragd/burglers.jpg

05-28-2009, 8:47 PM
That sucks. I hope you get your stuff back.

mountaindweller
05-28-2009, 9:05 PM
Dude, really sorry to here about your AR, that's rough.

RomanDad
05-28-2009, 9:05 PM

Actually.... Thats wrong as well...

Burglary is entering a building with the INTENT to commit ANY felony therein (whether or not the requisite felony is committed or not).

LARCENY is the actual "theft".

Glock619
05-28-2009, 9:11 PM

see what your getting at.:rolleyes:

mala in se
05-28-2009, 9:13 PM
bummer... i really hope the police are able to get it back. never know. anyway, wonderin' if your home insurance would cover any of it.

tango5
05-28-2009, 9:24 PM
The complete rifle:
Bullet button of corse
Harris Bipod
KNS Pins

If anyone hears about, or comes across anyone trying to sell my rifle, please notify the police and call me 818-917-3109.

That suck to hear, but it should have been locked up in a safe.

Full Clip
05-28-2009, 9:28 PM

100% correct.

SBOldMan
05-28-2009, 9:31 PM
Lot's of people kicking you because it wasn't in a safe. Does every one of these people on here own a safe? Jeez...sorry to hear about your loss. I sure hope you had insurance.

hoozaru
05-28-2009, 9:32 PM
i wish the worst for mofos who did this!!

E Pluribus Unum
05-28-2009, 9:38 PM
That's cold dude. That's just the kind of stuff a Guy doesn't need to hear when he's down. Unnecessary :nono:

Actually.... my response was carefully worded. I phrased it much milder than the original draft I promise you.

Personally, as a gun rights activist, I abhor unsecured guns. I feel the ONLY real argument the antis have that has no defense is when they talk about easily-obtained firearms. Its one thing if one cannot afford a safe. It is another when one has the means and is negligent. It was his negligence that allowed his high powered rifle to fall into the criminal world. I have family in law enforcement and I can only imagine how I would feel if my brother died at the hands of his rifle.

I am in no way attacking him personally because we are all fallible; I am completely absent minded and I could have been the one to do it. That does not change the fact that when it happens, I feel badly for our cause. Any time a gun passes from a lawful citizen to the lawless, it hurts our cause.

I have said nothing that the OP does not already know; this is why I chose to only say what I did say.

Unnecessary FUD

FUD??? How is it fud?? Chances are very good that OLL will be used for unlawful purposes. Explain how that is FUD.

P.S.
Many times, if a thief finds a high dollar gun outside the safe and the safe is locked, he will steal the one he sees and come back later for the rest.

818gtiguy
05-28-2009, 9:38 PM
Damn..sorry for your loss...I live not too far from you, In Northridge..I am a little paranoid because there is not enough room in the family safe for my guns...Its already full with just my dad`s guns....that why I have thishttp://i659.photobucket.com/albums/uu319/glockpoppin/1243571652.jpg Best damn dog I ever had..

bluestaterebel
05-28-2009, 9:40 PM
Actually.... Thats wrong as well...

Burglary is entering a building with the INTENT to commit ANY felony therein (whether or not the requisite felony is committed or not).

LARCENY is the actual "theft".

Yes, entering a building with the intent to commit a theft, either petty of grand, or any felony.

So if you break in to rape someone, you are guilty of rape and burglary. Also if you gon into walmart with the intent to shoplift, that is also a burglary.

459. Every person who enters any house, room, apartment, tenement, shop, warehouse, store, mill, barn, stable, outhouse or other
building, tent, vessel, as defined in Section 21 of the Harbors and
Navigation Code, floating home, as defined in subdivision (d) of
Section 18075.55 of the Health and Safety Code, railroad car, locked
or sealed cargo container, whether or not mounted on a vehicle,
trailer coach, as defined in Section 635 of the Vehicle Code, any
house car, as defined in Section 362 of the Vehicle Code, inhabited
camper, as defined in Section 243 of the Vehicle Code, vehicle as
defined by the Vehicle Code, when the doors are locked, aircraft as
defined by Section 21012 of the Public Utilities Code, or mine or any
underground portion thereof, with intent to commit grand or petit
larceny or any felony is guilty of burglary. As used in this
chapter, "inhabited" means currently being used for dwelling
purposes, whether occupied or not. A house, trailer, vessel designed
for habitation, or portion of a building is currently being used for
dwelling purposes if, at the time of the burglary, it was not
occupied solely because a natural or other disaster caused the
occupants to leave the premises.

Freagan
05-28-2009, 9:44 PM
http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp240/xounlistedxox/all.jpg

If you legally had preban hicap magazines and they get stolen such as this scenario, does that mean you can no longer own hicap mags?

E Pluribus Unum
05-28-2009, 9:47 PM
If you legally had preban hicap magazines and they get stolen such as this scenario, does that mean you can no longer own hicap mags?

No... possession is ALWAYS legal.

If you ever want to legally possess them in this state, you would have to illegally acquire them or illegally manufacture them.

Freagan
05-28-2009, 9:51 PM
No... possession is ALWAYS legal.

If you ever want to legally possess them in this state, you would have to illegally acquire them or illegally manufacture them.

In other words yes, which just adds insult to injury :chris:

daves100
05-28-2009, 9:54 PM
Years ago when i had a few guns i would hide them around the house.

Then when i was at a gun show looking at some safes the guy asked me how many guns i had and he told me for the price of One rifle you can buy this safe that will hold about 20 of them. I ended up buying the safe and he dropped it off in a unmarked van.

I feel for your loss. thanks for posting it. Now i'm going to go and make sure i have all my serial numbers up to date. Also going to look into enclosing my safes in some kind of framed walls so they will not be able to get to them very easy.

aermotor
05-28-2009, 9:54 PM

LOL

rugit
05-28-2009, 9:55 PM
Mouth Shut. sorry.

E Pluribus Unum
05-28-2009, 9:56 PM
In other words yes, which just adds insult to injury :chris:

No... not in other words. The magazine debate has been beaten to death so I wont go into it again here.

For reasons already discussed in detail elsewhere, a prosecution for 12020 illegal importation of high capacity magazine charges are nearly impossible absent a really stupid perpetrator.

Not only would they have to prove it was done, but they would have to prove it was done within the last 3 years. Unless someone bought them with a credit card and then mailed the receipt to the DOJ, it would not happen.

E Pluribus Unum
05-28-2009, 9:59 PM
To the best of my knowledge an AR-15 isn't a high powered rifle. i hear every anti spew those three words when they mention a new ban on "assault weapons". Do us a favor and don't spread the FUD.

This was your 9th post.... if you are going to correct people... make sure you know what you are talking about.

.223 is used in every single "high powered rifle" competition that I have ever witnessed.

You can read up on it:

http://www.nrahq.org/compete/highpower.asp

Equipment
Rifle: Rifles to be used in High Power Rifle competition must be equipped with metallic sights (Some long range, 1000-yard matches allow the use of "any sights"), should be capable of holding at least 5 rounds of ammunition and should be adapted to rapid reloading. Tournament programs often group competitions into two divisions, Service Rifle and Match Rifle. The rifles currently defined as "Service Rifles" include the M1, M14, M16 and their commercial equivalents.

elSquid
05-28-2009, 10:02 PM
Personally, as a gun rights activist, I abhor unsecured guns. I feel the ONLY real argument the antis have that has no defense is when they talk about easily-obtained firearms. Its one thing if one cannot afford a safe. It is another when one has the means and is negligent.

So to be "not negligent", should all shooters have a TL15 rated safe or better?

Is it negligent to have an RSC knowing full well that it will only deter the most casual of thieves?

It's an honest question, btw.

-- Michael

Gshock
05-28-2009, 10:04 PM
This was your 9th post.... if you are going to correct people... make sure you know what you are talking about.

.223 is used in every single "high powered rifle" competition that I have ever witnessed.

You can read up on it:

http://www.nrahq.org/compete/highpower.asp

It's true

subse7en
05-28-2009, 10:05 PM
I am truly sorry for your lost.

ohsmily
05-28-2009, 10:07 PM
To the best of my knowledge an AR-15 isn't a high powered rifle.

Well, your knowledge is limited.

E Pluribus Unum
05-28-2009, 10:08 PM
So to be "not negligent", should all shooters have a TL15 rated safe or better?

Is it negligent to have an RSC knowing full well that it will only deter the most casual of thieves?

It's an honest question, btw.

-- Michael

No, not at all. Re-read my post. There are times when a safe is not warranted. For instance, one should not spend $1000.00 on a gun safe if all he has is a Ruger 10/22. Some people cannot afford safes. I myself have no safe.

The reason he was negligent was because he chose to have a safe, yet chose not to use it.

As I stated before, I am not attacking the original poster as I believe one should not be REQUIRED to store his firearms in any fashion. If he wants a whole house full of loaded weapons at each corner, that is his choice. That does not mean that if and when those firearms are stolen that it does not hurt the cause.

VaderSpade
05-28-2009, 10:09 PM
Actually.... my response was carefully worded. I phrased it much milder than the original draft I promise you.

Personally, as a gun rights activist, I abhor unsecured guns. I feel the ONLY real argument the antis have that has no defense is when they talk about easily-obtained firearms. Its one thing if one cannot afford a safe. It is another when one has the means and is negligent. It was his negligence that allowed his high powered rifle to fall into the criminal world. I have family in law enforcement and I can only imagine how I would feel if my brother died at the hands of his rifle.

I am in no way attacking him personally because we are all fallible; I am completely absent minded and I could have been the one to do it. That does not change the fact that when it happens, I feel badly for our cause. Any time a gun passes from a lawful citizen to the lawless, it hurts our cause.

I have said nothing that the OP does not already know; this is why I chose to only say what I did say.

FUD??? How is it fud?? Chances are very good that OLL will be used for unlawful purposes. Explain how that is FUD.

P.S.
Many times, if a thief finds a high dollar gun outside the safe and the safe is locked, he will steal the one he sees and come back later for the rest.

Bla Bla Bla, lock them all up and lock the triggers. Lets face it if it had a good trigger lock the bad guys could never use it, but then when seconds count neither could you.

I have three safes, and I keep most of my guns locked, BUT I don't lock the one by the bed, or the hidden pistol. It's just a minor inconvenience to lock them up, but your not going to put them away LAST thing before you leave, and then take them out FIRST thing when you get home EVERY TIME.

The one time you donít could cost you your life. I will take the chance on losing a gun or two.

Of course I do have a security gate, 16 security cameras, all with motion sensors, and 5 dogs, so good luck with that:)

SCMA-1
05-28-2009, 10:10 PM
A safe is always best but at the very minimum, get a steel gun cabinet like the ones they sell at Turners for $150. These types of cabinets are less secure than safes but still provide a measure of security better than none. They should always be bolted to the wall studs also otherwise they are useless as they can be picked up and carried away. Those small firesafes need to always be bolted to the floor.

SCMA-1

elSquid
05-28-2009, 10:18 PM
No, not at all. Re-read my post. There are times when a safe is not warranted. For instance, one should not spend $1000.00 on a gun safe if all he has is a Ruger 10/22. Some people cannot afford safes. I myself have no safe.

The reason he was negligent was because he chose to have a safe, yet chose not to use it.

As I stated before, I am not attacking the original poster as I believe one should not be REQUIRED to store his firearms in any fashion. If he wants a whole house full of loaded weapons at each corner, that is his choice. That does not mean that if and when those firearms are stolen that it does not hurt the cause.

Fair enough. I guess the word that is tweaking me is "negligent", since it has legal meaning (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negligence).

I would agree with you in that I'd recommend a safe, but there should be no legal issues if one chooses to not have one.

-- Michael

neomentat
05-28-2009, 10:20 PM
a house is burglarized while only a person can be robbed

and sorry for your loss

E Pluribus Unum
05-28-2009, 10:21 PM
Of course I do have a security gate, 16 security cameras, all with motion sensors, and 5 dogs, so good luck with that:)

Then with that in place.... you don't even need a safe.

I am not saying they should be tripple locked and burried in the back yard.

Here is an extreme. Lets say that he had 50 guns in a gun display and every day before he left the house he wheeled the gun case up to the open front door and left leaving the door wide open. A criminal could easily see the guns, break the glass, and take them. This would be negligent.

That is an extreme example to prove my point. If you have a dog, or a safe, or a security system, or a house sitter named bubba, any one of those is fine.

My point was a thief had free access to his house for several minutes without a dog, or an alarm sounding. In this case he would have been better off putting the gun in the safe. That is completely obvious, which is why I left it out of my original post. The only time I brought it up is when people said I was too harsh in the FIRST post. :)

hkusp9c
05-28-2009, 10:23 PM
Rig the house like James Bond's car, if they try to break in it blows up:thumbsup:

I heard some old guy got sick and tired of punk kids breaking into one of his empty houses where he stashed his antiques. He sort of rig the suspected entry points with shotguns and the punks got shot and paralyzed. The punk and his family sue the crap out of the old guy. Old guy lost, sold all his antiques and house to pay the punk :mad:

E Pluribus Unum
05-28-2009, 10:26 PM
Fair enough. I guess the word that is tweaking me is "negligent", since it has legal meaning (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negligence).

I would agree with you in that I'd recommend a safe, but there should be no legal issues if one chooses to not have one.

-- Michael

By no means did I ever mean to inform that he would be negligent in a legal sense. One has a right to be secure in his home and assume that no one will break in. Maybe the appropriate word is careless.

As I said before... I am not attacking him personally. I have driven down the road with my Glock on the bumper; a completely bonehead move. Had the gun fell off that would have been extremely negligent, even in a legal sense. It would have been WAY worse than the OP. I am in no way judging him because I am so absent minded, I could have very easily done the same or worse. My point is to try to instill in other gun owners that sometimes we need to go above and beyond what the law requires to protect our guns because every gun that falls into criminal hands only hurts our cause.

josh4mc
05-28-2009, 10:33 PM
I am sorry for what you have been through. A break in is one of my biggest fears as I am sure it is for many here. I hope your property is returned. As others have stated, look close to you. Neighbor, friend of a friend, people you have been bragging to about your new pride and joy....

Call your insurance company asap.

IsaacGlass
05-28-2009, 11:09 PM
Really, I would like to see them try to carry out a 500-700 lb safe, that would be entertaining.
It took 4 guys to get my safe into place, not to mention the work it took to bolt it down.

E Pluribus Unum
05-28-2009, 11:29 PM
Really, I would like to see them try to carry out a 500-700 lb safe, that would be entertaining.
It took 4 guys to get my safe into place, not to mention the work it took to bolt it down.

As I mentioned earlier, if thieves see a safe, they often come back for it. Buddy of mine got his house broken into with only minor things missing.

A month later they came back for the safe.

Someone came in with an industrial chain and a tractor, wrapped the chain around the safe and literally pulled it through the door of his bedroom and out the front door on to a waiting trailer in less than 5 minutes.

This was in a mobile home on a farm in BFE but the principal is the same. If the house is remote or otherwise isolated, a truck and a long, thick chain is all they need.

DirtRacer151
05-28-2009, 11:31 PM
my first safe when he was only 7 months old...they will never make it to the second safe :thumbsup:http://i359.photobucket.com/albums/oo36/dirtracer151/072707_08311.jpg

E Pluribus Unum
05-28-2009, 11:33 PM
my first safe when he was only 7 months old...they will never make it to the second safe :thumbsup:

Unless they have the universal key manufactured by smith and wesson. :)

The Wingnut
05-28-2009, 11:46 PM
This is good cause to always practice SA while driving. Pay attention to the vehicles in your rear view mirror. If they make more than 4 turns with you, chances are you're being followed. If you suspect you're being followed, even at a distance, especially after visiting a bank, gun range, your place of employment, or relatives, do not return home. Wander aimlessly or go grocery shopping somewhere and continue to observe the vehicle...do not let your own vehicle out of your sight if they stop in the parking lot with you.

Do not store your home as a waypoint in a GPS unit. If that's not possible, take it with you or lock it up inside the car. A seeming smash-and-grab in which the loose items in your car are taken / gone through, including your vehicle registration, paperwork, GPS unit, or other items, may actually be a scouting hit for information leading to a later home invasion.

This may sound excessive and paranoid, but it's actually part of being a good defensive driver. Being constantly aware of your surroundings makes you a better driver, as well as helps you identify non-traffic-related threats. It's actually kind of fun, and as you practice it, it becomes easier to the point that it's second nature.

It sucks to hear about your rifle being stolen and your privacy and security being violated. May the creep that did this be found and pay the full price for their selfish actions.

E Pluribus Unum
05-28-2009, 11:59 PM
Do not store your home as a waypoint in a GPS unit. If that's not possible, take it with you or lock it up inside the car. A seeming smash-and-grab in which the loose items in your car are taken / gone through, including your vehicle registration, paperwork, GPS unit, or other items, may actually be a scouting hit for information leading to a later home invasion.

My Garmin Nuvi 200 has a cool feature. If you turn it on at a pre-set GPS coordinate, it does not ask for a power on password. If you are anywhere outside a 30 foot radius from the gps coordinate it asks for a 4 digit pin whenever it is turned on. This pin is ROM specific so it cannot be undone with a firmware flash. It is pretty slick.

Calder
05-29-2009, 12:15 AM
Thank you all so much for your support.
Yes I realize my neglecting to put the rifle back in the safe was not smart, my reasoning at the time was I didnt want to put it in dirty, because out of sight, out of mind, and my absent minded nature would have forgotten to clean it, and I was too tired to clean it when we got back home from shooting. It was a foolish mistake that I will never make again, I assure you.

Anyways, here is the update:
Very long story short, it was squatters shacked up in a vacant house two doors down from me. I got most of my property back, including my rifle. So no evil OLL of mind out there committing crimes.

IsaacGlass
05-29-2009, 12:18 AM
As I mentioned earlier, if thieves see a safe, they often come back for it. Buddy of mine got his house broken into with only minor things missing.

A month later they came back for the safe.

Someone came in with an industrial chain and a tractor, wrapped the chain around the safe and literally pulled it through the door of his bedroom and out the front door on to a waiting trailer in less than 5 minutes.

This was in a mobile home on a farm in BFE but the principal is the same. If the house is remote or otherwise isolated, a truck and a long, thick chain is all they need.

I wish the thefts the best of luck, there is no 2nd chance in my home :shuriken:

E Pluribus Unum
05-29-2009, 12:18 AM
Very long story short, it was squatters shacked up in a vacant house two doors down from me. I got most of my property back, including my rifle. So no evil OLL of mind out there committing crimes.

AMEN brother.... God was on your side. DId you get the stripped lower back too?

This is awesome news and a very cheap lesson.. ;)

Justintoxicated
05-29-2009, 12:20 AM
Thank you all so much for your support.
Yes I realize my neglecting to put the rifle back in the safe was not smart, my reasoning at the time was I didnt want to put it in dirty, because out of sight, out of mind, and my absent minded nature would have forgotten to clean it, and I was too tired to clean it when we got back home from shooting. It was a foolish mistake that I will never make again, I assure you.

Thats Great to hear man! When I read this thread I didn't thinkt here was any way you would get it back. I have had my house / cars broken into before and you never get anything back. Ever time so far I think it has been druggies / tweekers.

The Wingnut
05-29-2009, 12:25 AM
WOOHOO! Great to hear!

Calder
05-29-2009, 12:38 AM
Amen indeed, I do truly feel blessed at the moment. Yes, I got the stipped lower back also, there is some damage to the bolt catch release, it appears it was dry fired some......

Nanook
05-29-2009, 1:38 AM
Very long story short, it was squatters shacked up in a vacant house two doors down from me. I got most of my property back, including my rifle.
Whoa, whoa! TOO short! If you can, give us more details about the reacquisition, please!

And good to hear! :cheers2:

Trench Broom
05-29-2009, 2:28 AM
HOLY FREAKIN' COW :eek:. Congratulations on getting your stuff back! That's fantastic! ( and yeah, some dirt on how the reacquisition went down please, inquiring minds want to know :D ). Great news. :thumbsup:

thefifthspeed
05-29-2009, 2:41 AM
Glad to hear things worked out. I just hope this hammers home how important gun security is to those who neglect it.

ElevenBravO
05-29-2009, 2:42 AM
Sorry about your loss. whoever stole them shall burn! hope things work out

ElevenBravO
05-29-2009, 2:46 AM
i didnt see that you recovered it. Congrats!!!

fliparch
05-29-2009, 6:52 AM
Congrats gettin' your stuff back!

JTROKS
05-29-2009, 7:55 AM
Congrats on getting most of your stuff back, hard times are really making people do stupid things.

Damn..sorry for your loss...I live not too far from you, In Northridge..I am a little paranoid because there is not enough room in the family safe for my guns...Its already full with just my dad`s guns....that why I have thishttp://i659.photobucket.com/albums/uu319/glockpoppin/1243571652.jpg Best damn dog I ever had..

My neighbor has a dog like that and I hate it. Damned dog broke the old fence and acts like my backyard is his. I told my neigbor at the very first sight of his dog in my yard it's dead, and if God forbids that dog hurts one of my kids I may not have the sanity to stop with just the dog. I've talked to him nicely and that dog is still just running around his backyard slamming into the fence. Given that dog too many treats already and he still barks and charges the fence when I'm out in my yard. I'm done trying to make friends with that stupid dog. Don't get me wrong I love dogs. Yeah the dog only does what he's trained to do. So I really hate irresponsible dog owners.

Sicarius
05-29-2009, 8:06 AM
Great to hear that you got your items back. That was one of my biggest fears... I am not so much afraid that I will loose my firearms but what they will be used for. I didn't want that on my conscious...
Kevin

CooldadE
05-29-2009, 8:11 AM
A dog is only as smart as its owner. Beautiful dog... Stupid neighbor. I have owned 4 Pitbulls in my life and took the time and effort to socialize and train them. All great dogs that loved people and other animals. I hope that dog doesen't harm you or your family.

hawaii five-0
05-29-2009, 8:23 AM
PUT A SERIAL # ON YOUR GUN NOW!Can you see how it might be almost impossible to get a gun back without it?All that had to happen is for that gun to change hands one time away from your other property and it was gone forever.Good job to the LEO's for fast action.

WokMaster1
05-29-2009, 8:42 AM
OP didn't say that LE was involved. if they were involved in the recovery, more than likely the rifle would have been held pending an investigation, etc.

Could he have conducted a ninja style raid on the squatters?:p

NDFMF
05-29-2009, 9:57 AM
I'm confused as to why the guns didn't have serial numbers. Don't all stripped lowers have serial numbers on them?

gn3hz3ku1*
05-29-2009, 10:05 AM
he built it on his own

Hozr
05-29-2009, 10:12 AM

Funny. I hadn't even looked yet where you were from and I KNEW it was Sac. SPD is in pretty sad shape these days.

rtlltj
05-29-2009, 10:48 AM
I'm surprised the police actually gave you the evil black rifle back and didn't charge you with some made up crime.

johnthomas
05-29-2009, 11:08 AM
I should have read the rest of the posts, I'm glad you got most of your stuff back, luck was on your side. Those cops deserve a big thank you..

MasterYong
05-29-2009, 11:29 AM
Man, I'm glad that turned out OK. I read each page praying and hoping to find a happy ending and sure enough, there it was! SWEEEET!!!!

I do have a question for all the "get a safe" folks on here:

What do you do if you rent? I don't have a safe, but the only reason is that ANY safe can be taken with a dolly. I mean, I got it into the house with a dolly, right? And if I rent, I can't bolt it to the floorboards without causing some pretty decent damage. In addition, the floor is concrete (foundation) and I'd either have to set lag bolts in the concrete, which can be cut with a cordless sawzall, or bolt it to the wall, also causing damage.

Anyone out there have any suggestions? i know I should have a safe but all the employees of the gun shops in my area tell me that it's worthless unless it's bolted down. What's the alternative?

We've had a lot of break-ins in Humboldt County in the last few months where guns were taken, either by the safe being cut open or by the safe itself (one over 800 lbs) being stolen. I just don't know if a safe would help.

To the dog owners:

Your dog will not stop a criminal. Sorry. Doesn't happen. The only way your dog is going to attack and incapacitate or scare away a criminal (while you're not present, if you're in danger it's different) is if you train the dog to attack anyone that it does not know. This is not debateable, so don't even try. Ask anyone that breeds large, defensive dogs like pitt bulls, rottweilers (my personal favorite), dobermans, etc and they will tell you: the only way your dog is going to protect your home when you're away is if you train it to. Problem is, you're opening yourself up for MAJOR liability if you train it to do defend your property. What if there was a fire and a firefighter lost his life because your pitt latched on and wouldn't let go? What if some neighborhood punk breaks into your house just for fun, as is often the case with preteen punks these days, and the dog kills them? What if a hardened criminal breaks in and the dog kills THEM? You are the one that is liable in all of these cases and you can and will be sued by any survivors or their families.

It sucks I know. I'm not against dogs, I love them in fact- just don't expect an untrained large dog to defend your property for you. And if it IS trained, and defends your property expect to lose a lot more than that property was worth. Welcome to America (and subsequently California)- where you can get sued stopping a crime in progress, and LOSE.

Sicarius
05-29-2009, 12:07 PM
Nothing will stop a determined person. House locks, car locks... but a safe, even somewhat smaller one will deter the casual smash and grab. Yes they may come back later but it it just 1 more thing that they will have to cope with if trying to take stuff from you.
Kevin

VaderSpade
05-29-2009, 12:11 PM
Braking dogs are a good deterrent, although it’s true my dogs won’t bite, they will wake the neighbors, and there are 5 of them. The bad guys don’t know if they will bite or not. They had the utility workers backed against the fence last year.

As far as renting, only land owners should have the right to vote and own guns :)

fonionrings
05-29-2009, 12:26 PM
I do have a question for all the "get a safe" folks on here:

What do you do if you rent?

+1. I also rent and thus do not have a bolted down safe. I'm not too sure my homeowner would be happy with me bolting things down or to the walls in my room, or even in the garage.

NDFMF
05-29-2009, 12:30 PM
he built it on his own

He physically machined the lower himself? As far as I understand, any OLL from a factory still has a serial number on it. Isn't that enough to trace it if it were found later on?

fonionrings
05-29-2009, 12:32 PM
Both lowers were built from 80%'s.

Solidsnake87
05-29-2009, 12:58 PM
PUT A SERIAL # ON YOUR GUN NOW

+1. Serials can be a blessing in disguise!

Semperpluris
05-29-2009, 1:02 PM
:7: It's Squatter beatdown TIME!!!! :90:

In no way am I advocating violence though. :44::reddevil:

viras
05-29-2009, 1:12 PM
Yeah what happened to the squatters?

Sicarius
05-29-2009, 1:35 PM
One thing for me though it was not intentional is that my safe doesn't fit though the door. I had to pull the door of the hinges to get it in. Granted it wouldn't take much effort to yank or kick down but if somebody is going try to dolly my prized possessions off, it may stump them for a few... as the alarm is also going off and they are in a panic rush.
Kevin

MasterYong
05-29-2009, 1:42 PM
+1. I also rent and thus do not have a bolted down safe. I'm not too sure my homeowner would be happy with me bolting things down or to the walls in my room, or even in the garage.

Depending on your renting situation you may be able to find a solution.

My landlord is pretty cool, and while I'm sure they don't want me drilling holes in their foundation they may be open to other options. One thought I've had is adding a secret compartment, so to speak. There is a part of the house that I'm renting that seems like it would be ideal to add a moving wall (which wouldn't cost me much in materials, would probably be more secure assuming it's well hidden, and would definitely be cheaper than a safe). Basically, there would be a piece of wall that you could grab the edge of with a little hook, a bent nail even, and remove the wall to reveal a "cache". I've been thinking about asking my landlord about it- assuming I don't do any damage I can only see this adding to the value of the house. I wouldn't be able to lock it, but if I built it well enough the average joe would never see it, and I think most criminals would be in too much of a hurry to really look that hard.

E Pluribus Unum
05-29-2009, 2:18 PM
One thing for me though it was not intentional is that my safe doesn't fit though the door. I had to pull the door of the hinges to get it in. Granted it wouldn't take much effort to yank or kick down but if somebody is going try to dolly my prized possessions off, it may stump them for a few... as the alarm is also going off and they are in a panic rush.
Kevin

As I said in a previous post... walls are not very thick. A 4x4 turbo diesel, a thick chain and 5 minutes is all they need to pull that safe through the wall.

Bagelthief
05-29-2009, 2:45 PM
FU*K1NG AAAA!!! soooooo coool you got it back brother!

DUDE we need details! how did you find out it was them? how did you get it back? etc. etc.

VaderSpade
05-29-2009, 4:50 PM
I have about 1,200 pounds of lead in my safes. It doesn't really take up that much room, and it will slow the bad guys down.

Calder
05-29-2009, 5:11 PM
FU*K1NG AAAA!!! soooooo coool you got it back brother!

DUDE we need details! how did you find out it was them? how did you get it back? etc. etc.

Im not sure if Im supposed to disclose anything yet. The police said there were going to be multiple felony accounts charged against the perpetrators. I know the internet has a certain degree of anonymity, but it wouldn't take much to figure who is who. Maybe Im just being overly paranoid...

Sicarius
05-29-2009, 6:14 PM
As I said in a previous post... walls are not very thick. A 4x4 turbo diesel, a thick chain and 5 minutes is all they need to pull that safe through the wall.

No doubt. At least it won't happen in my neighborhood the way our houses are configured. Can't stop a determined person... only slow them down.
kevin

GoingPro
05-29-2009, 9:21 PM
ill tell you one thing. . . after reading this post, getting a nice safe moved up on my to do list. . . . im going to have it bolted down in my garage. the garage is seperate from the house but you have to get through two pitt bulls before you get to the garage. . . . it looks like i will have to start making trips back and forth bringing in a home defense weapon when i am here and putting them away when i leave the house.... i would be very upset if something like this were to happen to me

Joe
05-29-2009, 9:25 PM
Glad you got your stuff back. You're pretty damn lucky

echang86
05-29-2009, 9:48 PM
Yes, I got the stipped lower back also, there is some damage to the bolt catch release, it appears it was dry fired some......

Take those *****s to Small Claims Court!

echang86
05-29-2009, 9:49 PM
I'm also really glad to hear you got your rifle and lowers back!!