PDA

View Full Version : LaRue's ION bonded Barrels

skatter
05-28-2009, 2:15 PM
Looking at LaRue's Stealth uppers, here is a quote regarding their barrels:

Unless you request bead-blasted stainless, our barrels arrive ION Bonded in black. Ion Bond coating is roughly 5-millionths of an inch thick and roughly 90 Rockwell in hardness (harder than hard-chrome). It won't chip, peel, corrode, and is heat-resistant to over 1200 degrees Fahrenheit.

Can anyone speak to the ION bonding that LaRue utilizes, and how it compares to chrome lined barrels? The quote indicates that it is "harder than hard-chrome", but I'm not really sure how to quanitfy that -- how much harder, and how does that relate to real world applications?

aplinker
05-28-2009, 2:23 PM
ION bond is external only, so it behaves exactly like a stainless barrel internally.

CHS
05-28-2009, 3:01 PM
ION bond is external only, so it behaves exactly like a stainless barrel internally.

Yeah, what he said. The ION-bonding process is simply to color the barrel black, so it's not shiny stainless.

The bore of the barrel is just shiny stainless, which is ideal for accuracy.

aplinker
05-28-2009, 3:32 PM
Yeah, what he said. The ION-bonding process is simply to color the barrel black, so it's not shiny stainless.

It also imbues it with ninja powers.

CHS
05-28-2009, 3:36 PM
It also imbues it with ninja powers.

Texas ninja style. With a cowboy hat.

SubstanceP
05-28-2009, 3:38 PM

What do you mean by "external"?

skatter
05-28-2009, 3:40 PM
Thanks for the info, that's what I was looking for.

baldoHHO
05-28-2009, 3:40 PM
Try Superior barrels- coated in-n-out. Tonka tuff...

aplinker
05-28-2009, 3:41 PM
What do you mean by "external"?

Not internal. :rofl2:

SubstanceP
05-28-2009, 3:45 PM
Not internal. :rofl2:

OK. Thanks! :(

Are the exterior of the barrel's black?

CHS
05-28-2009, 3:59 PM

You didn't read what I posted, did you?

CHS
05-28-2009, 4:00 PM
Try Superior barrels- coated in-n-out. Tonka tuff...

That's not the point of a Larue barrel though. The point of a Larue barrel is accuracy. That's why the bore is NOT coated/treated/plated/bonded in any way.

Tonka tuff is good for bore life, but not accuracy.

aplinker
05-28-2009, 4:00 PM

Yes... the outside surface... exterior is more appropriate.

Darklyte27
05-28-2009, 4:11 PM
lol rofl noobs.....

SubstanceP
05-28-2009, 4:20 PM
You didn't read what I posted, did you?

Nope. Sorry. Trying to juggle too many things at once.

That's not the point of a Larue barrel though. The point of a Larue barrel is accuracy. That's why the bore is NOT coated/treated/plated/bonded in any way.

What advantage does this ION bonded tech give LaRue's stuff? Why does he compare it to chrome if it's an external thing and chrome is not? I've been curious about this because he does make a big deal about it.

lol rofl noobs.....

hehe....i'm glad i gave you and UCLA a laugh...:)

Group B
05-28-2009, 4:21 PM

Yes...which is what you want, considering that's where the lands and grooves are...

J_Rock
05-28-2009, 4:22 PM

What advantage does this ION bonded tech give LaRue's stuff? Why does he compare it to chrome if it's an external thing and chrome is not? I've been curious about this because he does make a big deal about it.

Zero, Nothing, Nada.

Ion bond is just like duracoating your barrel except its more permanent and tougher.

To make this more clear.

ALL IT DOES IS MAKE THE EXTERIOR OF YOUR BARREL BLACK

CHS
05-28-2009, 4:24 PM
Yes...which is what you want, considering that's where the lands and grooves are...

Please tell me you're kidding?

aplinker
05-28-2009, 4:24 PM

That's only because most bore coatings are highly imperfect.

If you did a layer-by-layer or a good deposition technique, you could not disrupt the surface and thus maintain accuracy.

Cold Blue claims to do this.

aplinker
05-28-2009, 4:25 PM

wait.... what?

aplinker
05-28-2009, 4:26 PM
yipes... settle down, Beavis.

Ion Bond is just a really good surface treatment. I'd equate it more with bluing than DuraCoat. It's very tough, durable and hard.

Zero, Nothing, Nada.

Ion bond is just like duracoating your barrel except its more permanent and tougher.

To make this more clear.

CHS
05-28-2009, 4:26 PM
Zero, Nothing, Nada.

To make this more clear.

To be fair, it DOES make the exterior of the barrel more scratch and wear-resistant.

But yeah, it's not THAT big of a deal.

aplinker
05-28-2009, 4:27 PM

I wasn't laughing at you... just near you. Nah, my laughing wasn't about you, but at my being lame to you.

;)

SubstanceP
05-28-2009, 4:31 PM
wait.... what?

:rofl2: see! some are noober than others!

J_Rock
05-28-2009, 4:33 PM
Also, theres nothing special about larue barrels. They are just regular lothar-walther stainless barrels, the same barrels you can buy off of midway for $350. I wouldnt even go as far to rate them as top tier like a krieger, more like upper middle tier barrels.

Group B
05-28-2009, 4:33 PM
wait.... what?

rofl lol!

freonr22
05-28-2009, 4:37 PM
are you guys sure?

aplinker
05-28-2009, 4:38 PM
Also, theres nothing special about larue barrels. They are just regular lothar-walther stainless barrels, the same barrels you can buy off of midway for $350. I wouldnt even go as far to rate them as top tier like a krieger, more like upper middle tier barrels.

I think you're giving more credit to Krieger and less to L-W than it deserves. The LW50 is better than 416 by a good margin.

are you guys sure?

about?

CHS
05-28-2009, 4:57 PM
That's only because most bore coatings are highly imperfect.

If you did a layer-by-layer or a good deposition technique, you could not disrupt the surface and thus maintain accuracy.

Cold Blue claims to do this.

I believe the LWRC "NiCorr" surface is the same way.

workinwifdakids
05-28-2009, 5:27 PM
The gun maker is like, "You wanna shoot more accurate?" And you're like "What mean accurate?" And he's like "Making holes closer together," and you're like "Yeah, that's great."

So he's like, "Wow wtfnoobx8, here's the most close-hole-punching rifle we have," and you're like, "Why it so shine-shiny? Ow my eyes!" and he's like, "Dude, shiny barrels make you hit things close BANGWTF!!!1!" and you're like, "But gun maker dude, the guys in the black helicopter are gonna see the shine-shiny from like 50,000 miles away and then launch their death ray at me I want NEENJA STEALTH!!!1!ONE!"

Then the gun maker is all, "Oooh, then here's a can of black Krylon you doosh," and you're like all, "Who's a doosh, doosh? You're mom is a..."

And then Mark F'ING LaRue (PBUH) drops through a skylight and punches you in the beanbag and then he says, "After I got done having intercourse with your mother, I made THIS!"

And then you're all, "OWW, what is THAT?" And Mark F'ING Larue (PBUH) says, "We make shiny good on the inside for closer holes *BANG*, and black on the outside holdy part for you not being seen by enemy ninja." So then Mark F'ING Larue (PBUH) kicks you in the beanbag and has more sex with your mother, and then he leaves.

THE END

aplinker
05-28-2009, 5:30 PM
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x82/uclaplinker/crack_pipe.jpg

The gun maker is like, "You wanna shoot more accurate?" And you're like "What mean accurate?" And he's like "Making holes closer together," and you're like "Yeah, that's great."

So he's like, "Wow wtfnoobx8, here's the most close-hole-punching rifle we have," and you're like, "Why it so shine-shiny? Ow my eyes!" and he's like, "Dude, shiny barrels make you hit things close BANGWTF!!!1!" and you're like, "But gun maker dude, the guys in the black helicopter are gonna see the shine-shiny from like 50,000 miles away and then launch their death ray at me I want NEENJA STEALTH!!!1!ONE!"

Then the gun maker is all, "Oooh, then here's a can of black Krylon you doosh," and you're like all, "Who's a doosh, doosh? You're mom is a..."

And then Mark F'ING LaRue (PBUH) drops through a skylight and punches you in the beanbag and then he says, "After I got done having intercourse with your mother, I made THIS!"

And then you're all, "OWW, what is THAT?" And Mark F'ING Larue (PBUH) says, "We make shiny good on the inside for closer holes *BANG*, and black on the outside holdy part for you not being seen by enemy ninja." So then Mark F'ING Larue (PBUH) kicks you in the beanbag and has more sex with your mother, and then he leaves.

THE END

CHS
05-28-2009, 5:36 PM

THE END

EPIC.

Sheer epic.

ProlificARProspect
05-28-2009, 5:39 PM
:rofl2:

THE END

BlackViper
05-28-2009, 8:05 PM

THE END

This is the best post I've ever read on this board :thumbsup:

freonr22
05-28-2009, 8:11 PM
i wanna make that a sig line

goober
05-28-2009, 8:19 PM

THE END

that sums it uuuupp, in one big luuuump :D

J_Rock
05-28-2009, 8:22 PM
I didnt understand half of it, but it was awesome none the less

a1fabweld
05-28-2009, 8:29 PM

THE END

Damn! I knew I should have taken that ebonics class in college!

KaTooM
05-28-2009, 8:30 PM
So Larue makes its barrels "Black and Accurate" for California moms...wait what?

chuck762
05-28-2009, 9:48 PM

Haven't seen a chrome lined FN SPR rifle shoot have you?

Coated bores are generally not as accurate as non coated because getting a coated barrel to shoot well required more prep/machine time which costs money.
While chrome and others coating are not usually made for accuracy they can can be very accurate. All depends on how much money you or the producer wants to spend.

maxicon
05-29-2009, 7:53 AM
Damn! I knew I should have taken that ebonics class in college!

Dewd, that's 1337speek, not ebonics. What ninja academy did u grad from, anyway?

Epic post, wwdk!

Coated bores are generally not as accurate as non coated because getting a coated barrel to shoot well required more prep/machine time which costs money.
While chrome and others coating are not usually made for accuracy they can can be very accurate. All depends on how much money you or the producer wants to spend.

Most shooters shooting their typical ammo will never see the difference in accuracy between quality chrome-lined and stainless barrels.

There are lots of people here who will, I know, but most of us just aren't there.

Shenaniguns
05-29-2009, 10:42 AM
Looking at LaRue's Stealth uppers, here is a quote regarding their barrels:

Can anyone speak to the ION bonding that LaRue utilizes, and how it compares to chrome lined barrels? The quote indicates that it is "harder than hard-chrome", but I'm not really sure how to quanitfy that -- how much harder, and how does that relate to real world applications?

http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=41517&page=2&pp=10

Quoting John Harrison regarding Ionbonding my old 1911:

"Hi,

The name of the company is IonBond, LLC in Greensboro, NC. The finish is called "DLC" in the firearms industry. It's hard to accurately do an apples to apples comparison of the finishes, since they are apples, oranges, bananas and grapefruits, but here's my short $0.02 worth.

Bear Coat and Black-T are sorta cousins in that they are sprayed on coatings that are baked at a fairly low temp to cure. So long as their skin is not broken, they have the highest advertised salt spray corrosion test numbers, like a 1,000 hours or such.

Neither Bear Coat or Black-T is particularly resistant to abrasion, when compared to Melonite and DLC, although they are more durable than bluing and Parkerizing, maybe because the coating thickness is greater. Folks will argue that one is appreciably more durable than the other but I just can't see a huge difference myself. My own experience with using Black-T on a bunch of pistols and Bear Coat on a few is the chief difference to me is that often times the Bear Coat was so thick as to require a bit of controlled sanding in concealed places to get the parts back together after being finished in Bear Coat. I've never had an assembly problem with Black-T, even on fairly tight guns.

Melonite and DLC are a more fair comparison to each other as both are really hard on the Rockwell "C" scale. DLC is advertised at 70 to 90. I don't know about Melonite, but would expect a similar test result. Melonite is a surface treatment that is finished off in Black Oxide (think bluing) where DLC is a PVD (physical vapor deposition) coating. From my experience, the black color is more durable on DLC. To me, the big difference between these two is the temperatures involved. Melonite is done at temps around 1200 degrees, give or take; where DLC is done at 400 degrees (just a little hotter than bluing tanks). Aside from the obvious difference in temperatures that the gun is subjected to, this means is that the smaller parts like extractor, pins, screws, sear, hammer, magazine catch, etc. cannot be finished in Melonite. They have to be finished in black oxide or a spray on finish. With DLC, all the parts can be done.

DLC's salt spray test time is claimed at 48 hours. Bluing fails in under 3 hours normally. I don't know what Melonite is rated at.

I did have a lot of problems reassembling pistols treated with Melonite, mostly having to lap fit the slide & frame rails after the treatment. I've had no problems with DLC with reassembly.

Melonite seems to only be available in matte finishes, where DLC can be done on polished surfaces and in my eyes, looks so much like bluing that you can hardly tell.

Hope this answers some of your questions."

John Harrison

Shenaniguns
05-29-2009, 10:49 AM
I believe the LWRC "NiCorr" surface is the same way.

NiCorr is closer to Tenifer and Melonite...

Ionbond DLC is a PVD coating that uses a layer of Hard Chrome to attach the "Diamond Like Carbon" too

http://www.ionbond.com/dynasite.cfm?dsmid=83917

PVD TECHNOLOGY

Physical Vapor Deposition (PVD) is characterized by the creation of a metal vapor that can be reacted with different gases to form a thin film coating. The most common PVD methods used today are arc deposition and sputtering. Both processes are carried out under high vacuum conditions within a coating chamber.

Ionbond introduced cathodic arc PVD coating technology from the former Soviet Union in the late 1970s and today the vast majority of tools are coated using arc deposition technology.

Process Temperature
The typical process temperature for PVD coatings is between 250() C and 450() C, however in some cases PVD coatings can be deposited at temperatures below 70() C or up to 600() C, depending on the application or coating.

Items Typically Coated
The PVD process is capable of depositing coatings on a very large range of tools and components. Applications include cutting and forming tools, wear components, medical devices and decorative products.

Substrate materials range from steels and carbides to pre-plated plastics.

Coatings Typically Deposited
The coatings typically deposited are TiN, AlTiN, TiAlN, CrN, CrCN, TiCN and ZrN. More complex coatings can include TiAlCrYN or a W-C:H / DLC combination.

The coatings can be deposited as mono-layers, multi-layers, graded layers and the coating structures can be modified in terms of such properties as crystallographic orientation and nano-composite structure in order to produce the desired properties in terms of harness, elasticity, adhesion etc. The final coating choice is determined by the demands of the application.

Coating thicknesses typically range from 2 to 5 microns, but in some cases coatings can be as thin as a half micron or as thick as 15 or more microns.

The cycle time is determined by the load density, coating type and thickness. Typical cycle times range from 3-6 hours.

Advantages of the process:

Flexibility in terms of substrate materials and coating materials / combinations
Short cycle times / high productivity
The low to moderate coating temperatures means parts maintain their geometry and tolerances
The process is environmentally friendly

Shenaniguns
05-29-2009, 10:51 AM

Exactly, this is why Noveke makes MOA or better Chrome lined N4 barrels from FN M249 blanks.

sb_pete
05-29-2009, 3:20 PM
Exactly, this is why Noveke makes MOA or better Chrome lined N4 barrels from FN M249 blanks.

You sure about that? My understanding is that Noveske does not actually use M249 blanks but uses the same spec of chrome lining (about twice as thick as typical M16 chrome lining). As I understand it, they do the chrome lining, bbl profiling, and chambers in-house. Not sure where they get the blanks though. Somebody please correct me if I am mistaken in this.
-Pete

Shenaniguns
05-29-2009, 4:44 PM
Well I will correct you then ;) The information I posted was provided by MSTN, Noveske's interview, SMGlee's thread regarding Centurion Arms who is supplied with the same FN supplied M249 blanks. I'd post links but I'm on my bberry.

DREADNOUGHT78
05-29-2009, 7:53 PM
Well it was fun!Till it got all serious!

sb_pete
05-29-2009, 8:42 PM
Well I will correct you then ;) The information I posted was provided by MSTN, Noveske's interview, SMGlee's thread regarding Centurion Arms who is supplied with the same FN supplied M249 blanks. I'd post links but I'm on my bberry.

LOL, fair enough. Well played sir, I stand corrected.:D
Out of curiosity, when you get a chance could you post those links? I would be interested to learn more about those barrels. Thanks!
-Pete

rkt88edmo
05-29-2009, 9:28 PM
WWdK = LMFAO even though I don't know what PBUH means.

goober
05-29-2009, 9:35 PM
WWdK = LMFAO even though I don't know what PBUH means.
PBUH (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peace_be_upon_him_(Islam));)

Shenaniguns
05-29-2009, 9:50 PM
I'm tired but here are some links and posts...

http://www.defensereview.com/noveske-rifleworks-n4-light-recce-carbine-john-noveske-interview-part-one/

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=124&t=348878&page=6

Originally Posted By MSTN:
PIX OF SOME NEAT N4 CHOP JOBS:

http://photos.imageevent.com/smglee/mstn/huge/IMG_0003_35.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/smglee/mstn/huge/IMG_0002_30.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/smglee/mstn/huge/IMG_0006_29.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/smglee/mstn/huge/IMG_0005_35.jpg

LIGHT, DURABLE, AND ACCURATE ... ALL FORMERLY MUTUALLY EXCLUSIVE TERMS BEFORE THE NOVESKE N4 AND LIGHT RECCE HAMMER FORGED, CHROME LINED BARRELS MADE FROM F-N M249 BARREL BLANKS.

GOOD SHOOTING,

WES GRANT
MSTN.BIZ

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=437301

Originally Posted By SMGLee:
I just bought this barrel from Centurion Arms, going to do a build on it.

16inch mid length, mid weight.
cold hammer forged
M4 feed ramp
1:7 twist
Double Chrome lined

It is made by the same people that makes Noveske's hammer forged barrels. best thing is this barrel could be bought separately instead of having to buy an entire uppoer assembly for the barrel.

Just debating on how to build a gun around it...

Going to start with a Centurion Arms upper, Colt carrier group, PRI Gas Buster. but that is about it so far....

Trying to Source a Mid Length KAC URX with a flip up front sight gas block, or a Rifle URX with a hidden gas block...

AAC 52T Blackout Flash hider

Surefire Scout light

The usual TangoDown SCAR Panels and QD VFG

and of course...EOTech, this time I will go with a Model 555.

http://photos.imageevent.com/smglee/centurionarms/huge/DSCN2760.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/smglee/centurionarms/huge/DSCN2762.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/smglee/centurionarms/huge/DSCN2763.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/smglee/centurionarms/huge/DSCN2764.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/smglee/centurionarms/huge/DSCN2765.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/smglee/centurionarms/huge/DSCN2766.jpg

Once it is finished, I will post a review and more pictures.

the hammer forged barrel are made by a major manufacture and gov't contractor that makes all sort of machineguns.... its the same source that Noveske get his hammer forged barrels from.....

the chamber is 5.56.

the price is 375.00

Originally Posted By DevL:

Originally Posted By Geohans:
I thought Noveske made those barrels?????? btw it's a 5.56 chamber on the "Noveske."

They are made from FN M249 blanks.

Originally Posted By comp1911:

Originally Posted By Another-Bill:

the hammer forged barrel are made by a major manufacture and gov't contractor that makes all sort of machineguns.... its the same source that Noveske get his hammer forged barrels from.....

the chamber is 5.56.

the price is 375.00

PacNor?

Bill

FN blanks

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=29295&page=2

The stainless barrels are pac-nor. I couldn't find confirmation on what the N4 barrels were.

Really its no big secret, its FN....