PDA

View Full Version : Question to SLAP sling plate users

Bruce3
05-28-2009, 2:20 PM
i was wondering if anyone whose using this end plate is also using a CTR stock and if the SLAP gets in the way of stock moving to the shortest position.

Jicko
05-28-2009, 2:22 PM
i was wondering if anyone whose using this end plate is also using a CTR stock and if the SLAP gets in the way of stock moving to the shortest position.

Why don't you just get Magpul's ASAP?

Bruce3
05-28-2009, 2:24 PM
Why don't you just get Magpul's ASAP?

i just want to know my options

CHS
05-28-2009, 2:55 PM
Based on the design, it doesn't LOOK like the CTR closed will cause any issues. There appears to be plenty clearance.

It's odd though that they don't have any pictures on their site with the stock closed and the plate installed.

I know for a fact that the ASAP works with the CTR closed, and does not get in the way. However, you can't transition from one side to the other with the stock in the fully closed position.

The ASAP should be about 10x stronger, too :)

Bruce3
05-28-2009, 3:02 PM
Based on the design, it doesn't LOOK like the CTR closed will cause any issues. There appears to be plenty clearance.

It's odd though that they don't have any pictures on their site with the stock closed and the plate installed.

I know for a fact that the ASAP works with the CTR closed, and does not get in the way. However, you can't transition from one side to the other with the stock in the fully closed position.

The ASAP should be about 10x stronger, too :)

i just talked to another calgunner and he said the slap does get in the way of the stock getting into the shortest position. what a bummer i ordered it after thinking about it, i guess i'll be posting a FS thread shortly.. Oh and thanks Christian for taking my annoying phone calls about my bum Stag lower :p

glock_this
05-28-2009, 3:49 PM
well, I was not going to post up yet until I heard back from the seller to see what will be done, cause I hope he addresses it, but I am the other Calgunner with the issue.

It is a no go fit as it is roughly, when mounted up, 3.2mm (or 3 threads) off. You cannot close the stock to final position. In the final closed position, I measured (best I could as hard to get my calipers in there straight) you have roughly 13.6mm between the lower and the stock leading edge. edge to edge, 16.8mm is what is roughly needed for the full size of the SLAP :eek:

CHS
05-28-2009, 3:58 PM
Oh and thanks Christian for taking my annoying phone calls about my bum Stag lower :p

No worries :)

glock_this
05-28-2009, 6:12 PM
what do you think about putting it in a vise and slowly shrinking the gap? or maybe pounding it down with a rubber mallet. will it weaken it at the joint?

glock_this
05-29-2009, 5:52 PM
after a couple PMs with Ar15barrels, he helped me determine that the metal used is not hardened (and thus brittle), so I/we should be able to bend them. I think I will try it and taking his advice, I will bend it while on the rifle and use a crescent wrench for leverage too slowly bend from side to side until I can close the stock.

siliconphreak
05-30-2009, 11:25 AM
Let us know how it works out. I have the same issue.

trinydex
05-30-2009, 2:42 PM
i bet another version could be made with a longer ring.

glock_this
05-31-2009, 6:48 PM
i bet another version could be made with a longer ring.

or just close the gap about 3.2mm as if the device supposedly works with all the other stocks out there, add the popular CTR to the list by just closing the gap 3.2mm does not seem like it would hinder the design.

i was told by the creator that this is the first he has ever heard of this issue in 500 or 600 claimed sold :eek: and that a modified version, given I am the only 1 ever - though we now know I am not - was not gonna happen for just my issue. which is cool, his product so whatever. but at a minimum, he should put up some measurements of the width needed to run this product so people can measure and see if they have said room from lower to closed stock. he has photos on the site, a diagram of measurements would be easy to show/add.

I plan to bend or use on my other AR as it looks like it 'might, fit with the RRA tactical stock.. but not with the CTR if you want to close to final last position. which I do. I did not expect a product to make another product not work as designed.