PDA

View Full Version : Question on Adjustable Stock for a Featureless AR

GreyMinotaur
05-28-2009, 1:19 PM
I am looking into building a featureless AR. Because the rifle is featureless, I do not plan having a bullet button. I would like to know if an adjustable stock such as the Magpul PRS Precision Rifle Stock is considered collapsible. It does have thumb adjustment wheels for both the cheek weld and the shoulder but does not collapse as, say a Magpul CTR Carbine, would. Thanks.

fairfaxjim
05-28-2009, 3:53 PM
I do not believe that it would be considered a colapsable stock.
What are you going to use in place of the pistol grip? The MonsterMan grip does not fit well at all with the PRS stock. This is a picture I took for someone who was contemplating this combo.

http://inlinethumb29.webshots.com/44060/2632914470094380918S425x425Q85.jpg

aplinker
05-28-2009, 4:02 PM
Disregarding the legality issue... (it's legal)...

From my perspective, a PRS stock is more for a precision rifle. It's heavy and the adjustable features are nice if you scope it out. Precision rifles aren't shot particularly rapidly. You might as well put on a BB and run a PG.

If you're building a gun to use for heavy firing, go featureless, but you'll want something lighter than the PRS.

GreyMinotaur
05-28-2009, 6:47 PM
I do not believe that it would be considered a colapsable stock.
What are you going to use in place of the pistol grip? The MonsterMan grip does not fit well at all with the PRS stock. This is a picture I took for someone who was contemplating this combo.

Thanks for the picture. I wasn't aware that the MonsterMan Grip did not fit well with the PRS stock. I saw this on Calguns.net. The MM grip is covered with some kind of rubber to make it seem more natural. Does anyone know where to get it? Thanks.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h59/soopafly_photos/gunz/PICT0983.jpg

From my perspective, a PRS stock is more for a precision rifle. It's heavy and the adjustable features are nice if you scope it out. Precision rifles aren't shot particularly rapidly. You might as well put on a BB and run a PG.

If you're building a gun to use for heavy firing, go featureless, but you'll want something lighter than the PRS.

I was originally going to build an AR with all the "evil features" but after many weeks of careful consideration, talking to friends that included FFLs, and reading on Calguns.net, I decided that I would err on the side of safety. Even though it is perfectly legal, I'd rather not draw the curiousity of other people that may incorrectly assume I have a "bad man's" rifle and decide to report me. I really like the look of an AR and that's what partially drew to me to build one, besides learning a lot about how a rifle works from just having to assemble it. Ironically, that is also the problem. I like that it looks cool. Other people think just the opposite, that it is evil-looking.

aplinker
05-28-2009, 6:48 PM
Whether it's featureless or not, to the non-initiate it will look like an AR.

I wouldn't let that be your driving reason for making your decision.

GreyMinotaur
05-30-2009, 12:26 AM

Would you suggest an A2 stock?

5hundo
05-30-2009, 12:39 AM
I'm not trying to "kick the hornet's nest" here, but there is a little bit of a debate on this topic. The Magpul buttplate moves to accomidate the shooter, so does that constitute a "telesoping stock"?

I don't know...

...and I'm not going to be the one to find out.

X-NewYawker
05-30-2009, 12:45 AM
I'm not trying to "kick the hornet's nest" here, but there is a little bit of a debate on this topic. The Magpul buttplate moves to accomidate the shooter, so does that constitute a "telesoping stock"?

I don't know...

...and I'm not going to be the one to find out.

I think it's one of those gray areas that the true believers here will say is legal but in no statue does it differentiate between the exact definition of a telescoping stock. Does the stock get longer and shorter?
Yeah.
That sounds not quite legal to me.
Anyone had a RULING on their PRS?

5hundo
05-30-2009, 12:48 AM
I think it's one of those gray areas that the true believers here will say is legal but in no statue does it differentiate between the exact definition of a telescoping stock. Does the stock get longer and shorter?
Yeah.

Which sux, really because I love the PRS and would love to put one on my weapon...

I just don't want to risk it...

Josh3239
05-30-2009, 12:56 AM
The stock itself doesn't retract, the comb and buttplate is adjustable. It is no different then attaching and/or removing a drilled, velcro, etc comb or buttplate.

5hundo
05-30-2009, 10:12 AM
The stock itself doesn't retract, the comb and buttplate is adjustable.

If you think you would be able to convince an LEO who pulls you over that this is the law, then have at it...

Personally, I'm not going to try it...

Josh3239
05-30-2009, 3:00 PM
I am not interested in the PRS, but I am very confident in my reasoning. As I said, anything on the stock can be retractable, you can have one of those retractable bullets on a cord and it doesn't make it a retractable stock. The stock itself doesn't move, it sits on rifle tube after all.

If an adjustable buttpad makes something a retractable stock then a slip on buttpad must make a stock retractable. And that is just ridiculous.

Texas Boy
05-30-2009, 4:29 PM
I'd agree with Josh - in a court case the PRS would be upheld as not constituting a collapsible stock. That does not mean, however, that an over zealous LEO and a DA who hated guns might not try to prosecute the case.

If you really want the PRS and a detachable mag, then go for it - but just be aware there is a risk of becoming a test case. How much depends on how anti gun LE is in your area.