PDA

View Full Version : SU-16 performance/accuracy under rapid fire conditions?

TonyNorCal
04-14-2005, 5:25 PM
I'm curious about how a hot barrel affects SU-16 accuracy. I hear a lot about it's perfomance with match ammo and a cold barrel, but I'm more curious about how it performs under more normal conditions (at a range, firing maybe 200 rounds, so it gets good and hot). Does it have the stringing problems of Mini-14s? How much do the groups open up?

Would anyone be willing to share what sort of accuracy your warm/hot SU-16 delivers with standard ammunition?

Thanks

TonyNorCal
04-14-2005, 5:25 PM
I'm curious about how a hot barrel affects SU-16 accuracy. I hear a lot about it's perfomance with match ammo and a cold barrel, but I'm more curious about how it performs under more normal conditions (at a range, firing maybe 200 rounds, so it gets good and hot). Does it have the stringing problems of Mini-14s? How much do the groups open up?

Would anyone be willing to share what sort of accuracy your warm/hot SU-16 delivers with standard ammunition?

Thanks

C.G.
04-14-2005, 7:59 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'm curious about how a hot barrel affects SU-16 accuracy. I hear a lot about it's perfomance with match ammo and a cold barrel, but I'm more curious about how it performs under more normal conditions (at a range, firing maybe 200 rounds, so it gets good and hot). Does it have the stringing problems of Mini-14s? How much do the groups open up? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I've only fired about 120 rounds (that is all the mags I have) at a time on my SU-16A with American Eagle 55 and Federal 69 Match, never shot 5.56 surplus. My 100 yard best groups were at 1", my worse 2.5" (attributable to front sight loosening up; I now tape the front sight, which slows down the sight loosening). Generally, I get 1.5, whether fairly hot or cold. Funny thing about my SU-16A, I do better MOA from standing position, rather than bench; never tried the plastic bipod for fear I might grab the hot barrel. I might do better if I change the sights to something decent, but got lost in other projects.

RRangel
04-14-2005, 8:27 PM
Well that's great shooting and the SU16 looks to be really accurate. It's about time we have something to compete with the mini-14 and to top it off it's even more accurate.

Stevil
04-14-2005, 9:01 PM
I use XM193 5.56 NATO pretty much exclusively. The most I've put through it at once is about 300 rounds, boy the barrel gets real hot but it doesn't seem to have any significant effect on group size. Now it ain't a AR tack-driver but you can hold a 1 to 2" fairly consistently at 100 yards with patience, steady breathing and a good scope. http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

JWC6
04-15-2005, 9:18 AM
I had a short cycle once, probably because of the lousy ProMag I was using. Using PMC ammo and USGI mags I ran 120 rounds in 2 minutes through a very warm barrel. No feeding or extracting problems though my aimpoint ARMS mount rattled loose (loctited now). With a cheap T168 scope, prone, It's been about 2inches at 100yrds.

C.G.
04-15-2005, 12:37 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">With a cheap T168 scope, prone, It's been about 2inches at 100yrds. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You got the T168, too. It actually works well on the handle of my AR-15 (except that it gets loose even with a lock washer), but it is cock-eyed on my SU-16 and I can never get it dialed in, because it doesn't fit the tri-rail too well. But the optics are actually pretty good.

TonyNorCal
04-15-2005, 4:53 PM
What's a T-168 scope? Post a link?

I think I'll get the CA model Su-16...are they being sold locally (Bay Area). Any prices?

Thanks

C.G.
04-15-2005, 5:53 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">What's a T-168 scope? Post a link? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
T168 (http://www.clearviewinvest.com/detail.asp?product_id=004-SCO1680)
It is a really cheap scope, but lot of people on AR15.com bought it and liked it. So did I, and for the price it is pretty good (my opinion is either really cheap scope or top of the line, middle of the road you wish you spent a little more money).

qualityrockola
04-15-2005, 9:36 PM
that might look pretty sweet on my all black 10/22....hmmm

JWC6
04-19-2005, 3:55 PM
Huh, I had a problem with the Eotech 511 being "canted" on the SU 16. Not a problem with T168 though...

C.G.
04-19-2005, 5:31 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Huh, I had a problem with the Eotech 511 being "canted" on the SU 16. Not a problem with T168 though... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I solved the problem with the T-168; one of the rail bolts was not installed properly from factory.

bu-bye
04-19-2005, 7:30 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tony:
What's a T-168 scope? Post a link?

I think I'll get the CA model Su-16...are they being sold locally (Bay Area). Any prices?

Thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They have a SU-16CA down at Markleys in Watsonville (Santa Cruz County). price I think is $575

theraven
05-12-2005, 11:12 PM
Check out this mini torture test done by a buyer earlier this year:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=2&t=181039

He posted an interesting video on his site (http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeonrw7/id3.html)showing him rapid firing to heat up the barrel, dropping the weapon into dirty freezing water, shaking some of the water out, rapid firing another clip with no malfunctions.

akjunkie
05-13-2005, 11:15 AM
http://www.tapco.com/product_information.asp?number=OPT9711&back=yes&dept=4&last=3

T168 scope.