PDA

View Full Version : Just want to make sure I understand this correctly.

wm97s
05-28-2009, 11:51 AM
Forgive me if this is a dumb question, or has been asked before.

Let's say that someone has an AR-15, purchased prior to 1992, and legally registered as an evil assault weapon under California law. It has:

-- Collapsible stock
-- Flash hider
-- pistol grip
-- takes detachable mags

As I am reading the AWID chart, in order to make this a legal non-AW, capable of being carried anywhere a less-than-completely-evil rifle may be carried, a person would have to:

-- replace the stock with non-collapsible or fix the stock in position
-- install a bullet button with ten-round mags

Is that it, or am I missing something? Would there be any value in formally delisting the thing from the AW registry (requesting the state to remove it from the list)? Does the fact that it is registered as an AW mean that it will always be that way, regardless of current configuration?

Thanks.

MasterYong
05-28-2009, 11:57 AM
As I understand it (and I hope to not be spreading FUD) you would need to do one of two things:

-Replace the lower with an OLL, add a bullet button, use only 10 rd mags.

OR

-Replace the lower with an OLL, DON'T add a bullet button but instead get a fixed stock, muzzle brake or thread protector, use a monster man grip or U15 stock, and use only 10 rd magazines.

....I'm 99.9% sure that it's going to be an evil AW no matter what unless you replace the lower with an OLL. There are, however, much more knowlegable folks on CG that can say for sure. i just like chiming in on these threads to see if I understand the laws as well as I think I do! :43:

Fjold
05-28-2009, 11:57 AM
The lower receiver is always an Assault Weapon, so no, what you want to do will not work. You would have to change the lower receiver to an off list one and then install a bullet button using 10 round (or smaller) magazines.

wm97s
05-28-2009, 12:01 PM
Thanks! Did anyone mention yet that California has some ****ed up gun laws?

lawaia
05-28-2009, 12:05 PM
Why can you not take your registered AW anywhere you want? It's legally registered.

There are many people that would love to have the luck/forethought to own a registered AW. Keep it the way it is. I see no benefit to removing the registration.

Full Clip
05-28-2009, 12:05 PM
Thanks! Did anyone mention yet that California has some ****ed up gun laws?

No, I don't think anybody on this site has ever said that. Good observation, though.

MasterYong
05-28-2009, 12:07 PM
No, I don't think anybody on this site has ever said that. Good observation, though.

I said it once, but it was a long long time ago so I guess no one remembers. I tried to warn everyone, but no one listened. Now, about 10 years later folks are JUST BEGINNING to realize that the gun laws in CA are unreasonably prohibitive.

Oh. The. Humanity.

:p :p :p

wm97s
05-28-2009, 12:09 PM
Why can you not take your registered AW anywhere you want? It's legally registered.

There are many people that would love to have the luck/forethought to own a registered AW. Keep it the way it is. I see no benefit to removing the registration.

I can't recall exactly where I saw it but I seem to recall something about you can only carry it between approved points - like gun ranges that allow it, between your own homes, only hunting areas that allow it, etc.

It has been a long time since I looked up anything on the issue, so I could easily be wrong.

ke6guj
05-28-2009, 12:12 PM

There are many people that would love to have the luck/forethought to own a registered AW. Keep it the way it is. I see no benefit to removing the registration.you can't just carry around a RAW as a legal car/truck gun, like you can for non-RAW long guns. There are additional restrictions placed on the transportation of a RAW.

aplinker
05-28-2009, 12:13 PM
If the receiver is a Class-1 AW (listed), then there's nothing you can do.

If it's not a listed receiver, you can install a BB (no non-collapsible stock needed) to take it out of AW status.

ke6guj
05-28-2009, 12:18 PM
Forgive me if this is a dumb question, or has been asked before.

Let's say that someone has an AR-15, purchased prior to 1992, and legally registered as an evil assault weapon under California law. It has:

<snip>

Is that it, or am I missing something? Would there be any value in formally delisting the thing from the AW registry (requesting the state to remove it from the list)? Does the fact that it is registered as an AW mean that it will always be that way, regardless of current configuration?

Thanks.

Is the receiver a listed model/brand? If so, it will always be an AW due to the receiver markings. But if it is an offlist receiver from 1992, then you could configure it into a non-AW configuration, and request that the AW registration be terminated. CADOJ may want to verify that it is no longer an AW before they cancell the registration.

If the transportation restrictions are the main reason you want to turn it into a non-AW, I'd suggest swapping out the lower for a new off-list lower and setting up the new build in a non-AW config. Then, keep that RAW lower in the safe, just in case you want to build it back up. Who knows, the laws may change and the value of that RAW lower may skyrocket. Spend the $150-200 so you can keep the RAW lower "legally" intact.

Lancear15
05-28-2009, 12:52 PM
Is the receiver a listed model/brand? If so, it will always be an AW due to the receiver markings. But if it is an offlist receiver from 1992, then you could configure it into a non-AW configuration, and request that the AW registration be terminated. CADOJ may want to verify that it is no longer an AW before they cancell the registration.

please, oh please don't do that, just get a different lower.

lawaia
05-28-2009, 1:13 PM
I can't recall exactly where I saw it but I seem to recall something about you can only carry it between approved points - like gun ranges that allow it, between your own homes, only hunting areas that allow it, etc.

It has been a long time since I looked up anything on the issue, so I could easily be wrong.

you can't just carry around a RAW as a legal car/truck gun, like you can for non-RAW long guns. There are additional restrictions placed on the transportation of a RAW.

Thanks for the clarification.

dieselpower
05-28-2009, 3:58 PM

I do not believe you can "un-register" a firearm, no matter what you do. It must be a new firearm with a different serial number.

That is the whole point of registration and the reason EVERYONE should hate it.

In effect you are saying, "I have XXX". The Government then says, "Then you will always have XXX and when you die XXX must be destroyed." You can never not have XXX or you have committed a crime.

There are only two ways you can not have XXX. Sell it out of state, (legal within the law), then report it as "sold out of state", or destroy it, then report it lost / destroyed.

Here's a good "what if" I was wondering.
Say I registered an AR15. Then I move out of State. I do not report the AR15 is out of the State. I then sell it (legally). 20 years later I move back to California. During those 20 Years, the firearm finds it way to a criminal in California and is recovered in a crime.

Since I no longer have any information from the FTF sale from 20 years ago, and the weapon is still REGISTERED to me, am I in trouble?

aplinker
05-28-2009, 4:55 PM
You can unregister it as an AW, not as a firearm.

I do not believe you can "un-register" a firearm, no matter what you do. It must be a new firearm with a different serial number.

That is the whole point of registration and the reason EVERYONE should hate it.

In effect you are saying, "I have XXX". The Government then says, "Then you will always have XXX and when you die XXX must be destroyed." You can never not have XXX or you have committed a crime.

There are only two ways you can not have XXX. Sell it out of state, (legal within the law), then report it as "sold out of state", or destroy it, then report it lost / destroyed.

Here's a good "what if" I was wondering.
Say I registered an AR15. Then I move out of State. I do not report the AR15 is out of the State. I then sell it (legally). 20 years later I move back to California. During those 20 Years, the firearm finds it way to a criminal in California and is recovered in a crime.

Since I no longer have any information from the FTF sale from 20 years ago, and the weapon is still REGISTERED to me, am I in trouble?

IW378
05-28-2009, 5:37 PM
Just leave it alone as a RAW. Build up another one that is Ca. compliant and have both.