PDA

View Full Version : BLM Land search

evan69
05-28-2009, 11:13 AM
I have been trying to find some BLM land near me (tracy, california) and I can't seem to locate any. What is the best way to search for it so I can be sure where the closest blm land is?

Vtec44
05-28-2009, 11:31 AM
Have you checked this site, http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en.html? Also, you can call one of the field offices.

Gunaria
05-28-2009, 11:33 AM
Your only an hour and a half from Panoche Hills. Just go south down the 5.

Hunter4life1990
05-28-2009, 2:05 PM
+1 for panoche hills.and griswald hills is across the valley from that,(like 10 minutes) ive shot at griswald great place to go if you want to not see ANYONE AT ALL for a while while your shooting :thumbsup:

spastic
05-28-2009, 2:11 PM
During fire season, which gate at Panoche is closed, the one at the base of the hill with the BLM sign, or the gate a couple miles in at the top of the hill?

Standard
05-28-2009, 3:09 PM
The gate 3 miles or so up. You can still go shoot on that open plateau right before that gate. I was there a week or so ago.

spastic
05-28-2009, 3:19 PM
Great news! Thanks for the prompt reply! :thumbsup:

evan69
05-28-2009, 3:32 PM
Man Panoche hills are way more than an hour and a half away...

Standard
05-28-2009, 4:15 PM
I'm in North Modesto, and it's about 1.5 hours for me.
200 miles round trip.

E Pluribus Unum
05-28-2009, 6:11 PM
I have been trying to find some BLM land near me (tracy, california) and I can't seem to locate any. What is the best way to search for it so I can be sure where the closest blm land is?

Go here:

http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/info/iac/Northern_Map.html

You will see a grid of all the available map areas. Maps are $4.00.

It looks like there are some isolated areas of BLM land in the "Stockton" and "San Jose" grides. The most is the "Oakdale" grid.

So, contact the BLM and order the Stockton, San Jose, and Oakdale maps. It will cost $16.00.

When you get the map, it will look like this:

http://www.chrisronk.net/pete/blmpete.jpg

The areas you are looking for are YELLOW. Once you get your map, I can help you calculate the GPS coordinates of the BLM land and then you can put it into your GPS and drive there.

evan69
05-28-2009, 6:13 PM
If I had a GPS I would do that, but sadly I can't. Thanks for the info, I didn't think there was BLM land that close...

E Pluribus Unum
05-28-2009, 6:18 PM
If I had a GPS I would do that, but sadly I can't. Thanks for the info, I didn't think there was BLM land that close...

You can put GPS coordinates into yahoo and google maps... it will print driving directions.

DeanW66
05-29-2009, 1:42 AM
Hmm, yahbbut on a related note how does one gain access to those isolated/landlocked parcel?

E Pluribus Unum
05-29-2009, 3:05 AM
Hmm, yahbbut on a related note how does one gain access to those isolated/landlocked parcel?

There are certain exceptions:

1) If a public-maintained roadway intersects the property.

2) If there is a public easement on the property. This is OFTEN the case. If there are public power lines, phone lines, railroad tracks, petroleum, water, or gas pipelines in the area, you can bet there is a public easement.

3) "Private dirt roads" that fall on a section line. Any dirt road that falls on a section line that has been used for more than x amount of years (its something like 2-4 years) cannot have a locked gate. There is public access to pass, but not stop.

The only time BLM land can be effectively landlocked is in very isolated areas where there are no public easements or pre-existing private roads that fall on a section line.