PDA

View Full Version : AK build vs Built AK

Plisk
05-28-2009, 2:56 AM
The title might be confusing, well that's cuz its almost 4am. :)

My next purchase has to be an AK type rifle, but I'm not sure the ways to go about it. I could buy a Century made AK, or I could buy a Nodak spud receiver and build an AK with a kit. What is the better way to go about this? Buying a Century would be the easiest path, but a built AK would give me better quality right? What is the best way to go about this?

-Kevin

SJgunguy24
05-28-2009, 4:42 AM
How much time do you have? What's your skill set? Do you have a shop area and tools to de-mill the kit?
Have you looked into picking up a Saiga and restoring to proper configuration?
You going with a featureless build or full E.B.R.?
Do you have a kit? What's your budget?

If you look at the cost of kits (300 on up) VS a Saiga (400 up) + the time........How much is your time worth?

Plisk
05-28-2009, 7:35 AM
Time? I guess however long it takes. My skill set, I don't have much for AKs. I don't have a shop or any machineing equipment of my own. If I went the kit path, I was planning to attend one of the AK build parties that pop up every other month on here. I'm actually very curious about a Saiga converstion, if anyone can give me information about it. I'm not sure what you mean by EBR, but I'm planning to use a monsterman grip. My father has a stash of pre-ban AK47 magazines. I don't have a kit yet, but I have a few sources where to get one. My budget is varied, but depending on what the end piece is worth I think my max budget is prolly somewhere around $800.

My time is worth whatever the end result is. I have free time to throw at it.

sd1023x
05-28-2009, 7:44 AM
Hey, how about if I told you you could get an Arsenal for around the price your looking for? Don't buy Century! And remember, just because your dad has mags, doesn't mean u can use them.

munkeeboi
05-28-2009, 8:06 AM
^^^what he said. mags can't be transferred.

Yeah...for a little more than that budget ($900)...sounds like you can get a Arsenal SGL-20 - Russian AK!!!

Plisk
05-28-2009, 8:25 AM
I know he can't give me the mags, but we go shooting together so... thats my legal outlet to use them.

Where can I find Arsenal SGL-20s? Gunbroker? Do they have a website? An actual Russian AK gets me excited.

HotRails
05-28-2009, 8:31 AM
While you may be able to get your hands on an SGL-20, in my opinion there is nothing like building an AK from a flat. I can say that its very doable if you have patience and can attend a build party. Make sure you have yoru kit demilled when you get there and have read online extensively about the steps involved. It is alot of work, but rewarding in the end. If you just want to have something to shoot within ten days, buy an AK but good luck finding one for a decent price. Good luck with your decision.

:thumbsup:

sd1023x
05-28-2009, 8:44 AM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=2545247#post2545247

Plisk
05-28-2009, 9:07 AM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=2545247#post2545247

That definatly makes me think... damn. I gotta crunch my budget.

sd1023x
05-28-2009, 9:10 AM
Thats awesome dude, I mean I hate people getting gouged. PM Thunderbird if you have any questions.

But basically, anything on gunbroker is available to you as long as you can make it cali compliant.

have fun shopping!

Plisk
05-28-2009, 9:26 AM
That's it. That's what I'm going to shoot for. An SGL-20. If I'm going to stick it to the Cali laws, might as well go for quality.

If anyone wants me to further the business of gundealers and OLL, please check out my For Sale thread for my Failzero BCG.:thumbsup: