PDA

View Full Version : Cable lock and lower ?

GunSlinger1975
05-28-2009, 2:38 AM
I just bought 3 spikes stripped lowers, and the FFl tells me I have to buy cable lock for each one...

I was under the impression that I only had to buy locks for handguns and I could sign a safe affidavit for any long rifles I buy...

could someone point to the right law to show him......

Thanks in advance......

yock
05-28-2009, 3:46 PM
When you buy a fire arm it needs to have a lock with it. If you want to be cheep you can try to fit more than one on a lock or bring a lock in with you. when I boght my lower it came with a cable lock (included in price).

halifax
05-28-2009, 3:59 PM
I just bought 3 spikes stripped lowers, and the FFl tells me I have to buy cable lock for each one...

I was under the impression that I only had to buy locks for handguns and I could sign a safe affidavit for any long rifles I buy...

could someone point to the right law to show him......

Thanks in advance......

Try here:

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/dwcl/12087.php

You are right. handguns require a lock (not safe) per federal law.

GunSlinger1975
05-28-2009, 4:50 PM
Thanks, I will show that link to my FFL he is new and is working out of his home.. and it is the first time I have dealt with him

I have bought many long guns, stripped lowers and pistols but only bought locks with the pistols and signed a affidavit for the long guns and lowers...

smokingloon
05-28-2009, 5:37 PM
I have heard that the safe affidavit was no longer used for long guns. All firearms must have a locking device. FUD?

halifax
05-28-2009, 6:39 PM
I have heard that the safe affidavit was no longer used for long guns. All firearms must have a locking device. FUD?

Yes, FUD

rbetts
05-28-2009, 9:20 PM
All firearms including long guns need a locking device. The state allows a safe or lock box affadavit for long guns. If you have neither, you must purchase state approved locking device or dealer cannot deliver firearm.

Handguns must either come with a State approved device or you must purchase one from the dealer.

Effective January 1, 2002, no firearm may be sold, transferred, or manufactured within California unless that firearm is accompanied by a DOJ-approved firearms safety device (California Penal Code section 12087, et seq).

The safety device requirement does not apply to the following:

Persons who can demonstrate the purchase of a DOJ-approved safety device in the 30 days prior to taking possession of the firearm by presenting the device to the firearms dealer and providing the firearms dealer with a receipt showing the purchase date and model name of the device.
The commerce of any firearm defined as an "antique firearm" pursuant to federal law.
The commerce of any firearm intended to be used by a salaried, full-time peace officer for law enforcement purposes.
Transfers of firearms to persons who demonstrate ownership of a qualifying gun safe. Ownership may be demonstrated by displaying to the firearms dealer: 1) A receipt indicating purchase of, or an affidavit, signed under penalty of perjury, stating that the purchaser owns a gun safe, and 2) An affidavit, signed under penalty of perjury, stating that the gun safe meets the standards set forth in DOJ regulations.

No FUD here, right off the DOJ website