PDA

View Full Version : Magpul MBUS Front sight Questions

JohnBrian
05-28-2009, 12:07 AM
Is the Magpul MBUS front sight tall enough to use with a standard A2 rear sight?

Think it would melt if attached (flipped up or down) to the gas block for prologned shooting?

Is the sight post itself a standard A2 (so I can put a Trijicon post in it)?

or maybe I'll just go with a metal flip down/up front sight made by/for Brownells as it is the same price as the Magpul and I know the height is correct and I know it won't melt.

DanHuuN
05-28-2009, 12:23 AM
I have 3 sets myself and I read somewhere that Magpul doesn't recommend mounting their sights on a gas block.

I'm sure someone will get a better answer for you....I wouldn't recommend it

Plisk
05-28-2009, 3:19 AM
There have been a few threads about them melting on gas blocks. So far no one has evidence of that happening. I would guess it's possiable if you're shooting like a mad man or put it on an FA gun. But they are made out of the same stuff Pmags are, and the mags can handle up to 800 degrees I think it is. I can't remember the exact temps in their stress tests.

WokMaster1
05-28-2009, 7:57 AM
could it be the ones melting are the airsoft version? Jicko, our resident Magpul expert will be by shortly.:p

maxicon
05-28-2009, 9:03 AM
They only make a railed handguard version, not a gas block height version, and it's the correct height for mounting on handguards. There are gas blocks that are the same height as the handguard, but Magpul says not to put them on the gas block, as they'll melt.

Lots of people have melted theirs already, not having been content with Magpul's recommendations.

tango5
05-28-2009, 9:45 AM
Plastic on hot surfaces=failed sights. Not a good combo.

Jicko
05-28-2009, 10:30 AM
Is the Magpul MBUS front sight tall enough to use with a standard A2 rear sight?

Yes, they are compatible. They are designed to be rail-mounted tho, ie. same mounting plane as your flat-top upper receiver.

Think it would melt if attached (flipped up or down) to the gas block for prologned shooting?

I don't know exactly how many continuous rounds will "melt" it.

The MBUS instructions specifically said not to mount to your gas block (even if you have one of those "receiver flat-top height" gas block). They did test for this specifically, and then put out that recommendation.... so.... follow it...

According to Magpul's testing, the gas block will reach damaging temp in about 60 rounds.

Is the sight post itself a standard A2 (so I can put a Trijicon post in it)?

Yes, it uses a standard square front sight post, so your Trijicon Trilium post will work.

or maybe I'll just go with a metal flip down/up front sight made by/for Brownells as it is the same price as the Magpul and I know the height is correct and I know it won't melt.

Go Troy. Take the pain, buy once, and you know that you can depends on them. :D

Plisk
05-28-2009, 10:42 AM
According to Magpul's testing, the gas block will reach damaging temp in about 60 rounds.
Is that semi auto or full auto?

Jicko
05-28-2009, 10:48 AM
Is that semi auto or full auto?

I don't think it matters? Shooting 60 rounds FA and shooting 60 rounds continuously in SA mode will generate similar heat.... "conservation of energy"....

JohnBrian
05-28-2009, 10:19 PM
Thanks for the input everybody! I think I'll go with a metal front sight.

Jicko
05-29-2009, 12:51 AM
Thanks for the input everybody! I think I'll go with a metal front sight.

Smart choice.

Now, not all sights are made the same.

Go with Troy.... you won't regret it...

aplinker
05-29-2009, 2:49 AM
Smart choice.

Now, not all sights are made the same.

Go with Troy.... you won't regret it...

But he will... he wants to mount it on a gas block.