PDA

View Full Version : PSL--Recommendations/Where to get

recshooter
05-27-2009, 11:40 PM
Hey guys, I am interested in picking up a PSL-type rifle.

Admittedly, I am not very familiar with them. I have found myself wanting a high-powered, longer-range rifle that is semi-auto and evil.

The fact that I really like the AK platform, they shoot relatively less-expensive ammo, and are, themselves, more affordable than other rifles such as M1As, makes it seem like a good choice for me.

I also like the 4X scope w/ the range-finding reticle that they come with.

This will mostly be used for range shooting (possibly hunting, but not a concern now).

So here is my point for starting this thread:

--Which of this series of rifle do you guys think is best for me (price is very much a factor)?

--Any general thoughts/recommendations/advice about the PSL?

--Good places to pick one up?

Any education and advice would be greatly appreciated, as I am a noob to these rifles:D

BTW, I have seen the Henderson rifles. The price seems good, but I don't know much about them (Century, I presume), and don't know if it is worth it after dealing w/ all the FFL transfer issues.

shooterdave
05-27-2009, 11:47 PM
henderson is a 1st class dealer and very CA friendly. CWS might have some but will cost a liitle more. with a psl don't shoot any ammo heavier than 150grains or you risk damaging the receiver. they are pretty decent rifles all of them come through century but they are 100% made in romania. you will either need to fill in the buttstock thumbhole or get some sort of bullet button to make it CA compliant.

Hoop
05-28-2009, 7:43 AM
Henderson Defense is the way to go. Maybe get some more magazines from Copesdistributing but other than that just go out and shoot the thing.

Make sure to ask for one they've inspected though - common problems are canted scopes / gas blocks / front sight bases.

Agustav
05-28-2009, 9:52 AM
I got my PSL from Anderson and they are first rate dealer!

Most of the problems with my PSL is cause by the magazine. Sometime, it will fail to strip the next round from the magazine cause the FTF problem. This usually happen when I try to load more then 5 rounds into the magazine. I minimized this problem by stretching out the magazine spring and file down the magazine feed ramp. Also since I reload, the PSL is extra hard on the brass!

Buy one and you will not regret it! :thumbsup:

13204u
05-28-2009, 11:10 AM
Just got mine in this morning from lanworld. Looks great. I did alot of research before buying one. I was attracted to them for the same reason that you were; price point, ammo availability/price, and it was AK based firearm. It sorta seems like you either get a good one out fo the box or one that needs some work. I have a buddy that has one and he loves it, and I can't wait to go out and shoot mine. Honestly though if you are looking for a fine tuned piece of mechanical art look elsewhere. If you want a decently accurate fun shooter then by all means get one. Some people complain about fit/finish and the fact that the hand guard and buttstock colors can be off amoungst other things, in all honesty it is romanian made, I am not sure what people were expecting. About the only thing I plan on doing to mine is putting in a redstar arms adjustable trigger and go have some fun with it. As stated above these are built on a stamped receiver so light ball only in the firearm 150gr or less. I am satisfied with mine so far, now time to clean the cosmoline out, good luck!

recshooter
05-28-2009, 1:53 PM
Good info on the ammo choice, thanks.

Consensus seems like Henderson Defense--I was sort of hoping to find one on here, but they don't seem to come up often, and people are usually asking 1K+. So it is probably best to order over the phone and ask if they will hand-pick one for me?

Can anyone recommend an FFL in the SGV/OC area? I've dealt w/ all the usual suspects (Gunrunners, OC Indoor, Ammo Bros, etc.), but no sure who would be best for this...

...I'd like to find one that Henderson Defense has on-file and who does not charge an extreme out-of-state transfer fee. Of course, I'll research each individually, but if someone has an easy answer, "I'll take it."

BTW, if someone reads this and has one they are thinking of selling...please PM:thumbsup: