PDA

View Full Version : Ca CCW no longer Proof of residency for PPT?

Treb5
05-27-2009, 10:19 PM
Did another PPT today in the East Bay. I have done several PPT at this FFL in the past and previously my Ca CCW was accepted as proof of residency and an exemption to the HSC.

Today I was informed the Ca CCW is only an exemption to the HSC and cannot be used for proof of residency as well.

I have done dozens of handgun purchases in the last several years at many different FFL's and this is the first time I have encountered this issue.

I came home and reviewed the DOJ Firearms website FAQ and came away believing the Ca CCW serves as:

1. Exemption to the HSC
2. Exemption to the to the safe handling demonstration requirement
3. Proof of residency

I would be interested in hearing from other CalGunner's on this issue.

ke6guj
05-27-2009, 10:35 PM
Here are the POR regs,
http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/regs/chapter4.pdf

Sure sounds like it would work under this.

d. "Other evidence of residency as permitted by the Department of Justice" means either of the following:
1. A current, government-issued (city, county, special district, state, or federal) license, permit, or registration, other than a California Driver License or California Identification Card, that has a specified expiration date or period of validity. The license, permit, or registration must bear the individual's name and either of the following:
A. The individual's current residential address as declared on the Dealer's Record of Sale (DROS) form.
B. The individual's address as it appears on his or her California Driver License or California Identification Card, or change of address attachment thereto

I'm assuming the rice paper CCW has your address on it.

halifax
05-28-2009, 4:15 AM
It is a perfect example of POR. It meets all the criteria and more.

It probably gets left out of employee training in areas where they are uncommon though.

tenpercentfirearms
05-28-2009, 4:35 AM
I love CCW holders! I use that document for HSC exemption and proof of residency all in one. Unfortunately, not all gun dealers realize what a gem you are and how easy you make our lives and they do not have to accept it, but it is stupid not to.

hotwls13
05-28-2009, 6:38 AM
Haha, I can just feel the love. lol Thanks Wes!

Knauga
05-28-2009, 7:33 AM
Never had an issue using my CCW for DROS.

I had one FFL that didn't know that a CCW was an exemption to the "safe handling demonstration".

Treb5
05-28-2009, 7:49 AM
Never had an issue using my CCW for DROS.

I had one FFL that didn't know that a CCW was an exemption to the "safe handling demonstration".

I also have never had any problems using my CCW for any of the exemptions mentioned in my prior post. This transaction took place at J&R Sports in Livermore and the employee was absolutely convinced a Ca CCW could not be used as both proof of residency and HSC exemption .

I have also had other FFL's not be aware of the safe handling demo exemption but after a quick check of the DOJ website quickly changed their mind.

The reason for my posting was to see if this is a local problem or if others were getting the same information. I will be calling the DOJ this morning for a verbal..

UPDATE: Just spoke to DOJ and they confirm the Ca CCW is valid for all the exemptions listed in my first post as long as the address on the Ca CCW matches the address put on the DROS

ontargetrange
05-28-2009, 8:40 AM
This is typical of not reading the basic rules -- it is a Government issed ID -- good for the HSC AND second proof -- AS long as it has your address printed on it --