PDA

View Full Version : Help Fellow Calgunner w/Lower Build?

xm177
05-27-2009, 9:40 PM
Hi fellas,

Getting ready to assemble my 1st lower build. Got a RRA LPK and waiting on a Kaiser Defense stripped lower on DROS. Would anyone in LA be kind enough to lend a fellow calgunner their tools and maybe do some quality control? Thanks in advance. :D

nicoroshi
05-27-2009, 9:45 PM
It's not that tough bud. I would help but in NorCal.
I can offer this though so you'll know how easy it is.
I own two KD lowers. You should have no issues with them. Quality product.

Enjoy the show (and your first build):
Build that lower! (http://www.lifelibertyetc.com/RangeBag/video/LLE_AR15StrippedLower.wmv)

xm177
05-27-2009, 9:51 PM
I'm sure it won't be hard. Just don't have right tools...figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

offdeez
05-27-2009, 9:53 PM
I built my own last week after thinking I may need help. I watched the video on ar15.com and step by step followed instructions. It was so easy and I was proud of myself! I only bought a few small punches from Lowes for a couple of bucks and didn't need anything else. Give it a try!

psssniper
05-27-2009, 9:55 PM
If you're ever down this way I'll give you a hand. I live in San Clemente

tomd1584
05-27-2009, 10:12 PM
Its not that hard. I knew nothing about building AR's before i bought my lower a few months back. It took me about an hour and a half, with really basic tools. I think i used a hammer, screwdriver, and a few other things. Just take your time and you'll get it!

I'm in Burbank if you absolutely need help. I'm the farthest thing from an expert but i can help if you need

mala in se
05-27-2009, 10:13 PM
vise grip, punch, small hammer... about 2 hours. take your time. there's just too much info in these forums to go wrong.

make sure you know the difference between the disconnector spring and the bolt catch spring. i thought they were the same. i realized they weren't after the build, but luckily i installed it correctly.

fliparch
05-27-2009, 10:18 PM
Where are you at Peacemaker? I'm in SFV if you're interested?

xm177
05-27-2009, 10:24 PM
Fliparch, pm sent. Thanks for the responses so far. :D

Bruce3
05-27-2009, 11:01 PM
one suggestion is if you plan on getting a magpul enhanced trigger guard get it before you install the OEM one. no sense it doing things twice.

Ian
05-27-2009, 11:03 PM
http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to/video/how-to-build-a-stripped-ar-15-rifle-lower-assembly-255593/

this video with lots of pausing and replay helped me build my first lower. tools I used were a punch kit, the dpms multitool for the buffer tube, a hammer and a bunch of electrical tape. a straight razor or small pliers helps too, but i managed without anything else like a vice grip.

i imagine a vice grip would help immensely though lol.

bill104
05-28-2009, 4:34 AM
Let me ad a vary import part, when you go to install your trigger gaurd Pins, make sure you back the other side with something, those ears break easy, so as everyone else said, take your time.

Steve O
05-28-2009, 4:42 AM
Man!

Whats with you guys telling the poor guy to beat and punch his lower with a hammer and punch?

Use a pair of channel locks (wrapped in tape) and use the squeeze method to install the roll pins. Hold the roll pin with some needle nose pliers from the side, and then put the channel locks on one side of the lower, and the other side of the channel locks on the roll pin. then squeeze!

It may feel as if your about to snap something, but once the roll pin gets going, it smooth, and you wont have any stupid punch marks on your finish.

fliparch
05-28-2009, 7:01 AM
peacemaker - I pm,ed you with my number. Call me and let me know when and what time you want to meet up.

flip

aermotor
05-28-2009, 10:18 AM
Knowing nothing about assembling them, I did my first lower a few weeks back in about 30 minutes and it was a breeze, really, so easy, gun worked perfect first time. I just followed the Brownells videos along with the paper instructions from AR15.com

Go buy a set of steel punches ($7) and as long as you have a hammer you're good to go. I didn't have a vice or anything. The hardest part was the pivot pin, I had someone hold one piece of it while I did it, this is where the pivot pin installation tool would have been a gem, but you can do it without it.

KRS Juan
05-28-2009, 3:25 PM
I've done 7 so far and have not screwed up yet. If your on the Westside and want help PM me.

aplinker
05-28-2009, 3:29 PM
I've done 7 so far and have not screwed up yet. If your on the Westside and want help PM me.

sup homie
http://bonvivantonline.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/westside.jpg

KRS Juan
05-29-2009, 9:48 AM
Plinker: I'd appreciate it if you didnt post pictures of my mom on the interwebs :)

Hunter4life1990
05-29-2009, 2:14 PM
i put together my lower 2 weeks ago.all it took was the paper instructions from ar-15.com a hammer, a punch set, and masking tape to keep from damaging the finish.i had only ever held an ar one time before that,its really simple took me about 20-30 minutes.(when you put in the pivot pin spring and detent use a razor blade to hold it down while you push the pin in).good luck! :thumbsup:

edit: my first lower