PDA

View Full Version : bolt slams shut when buttstock is hit....

The Gunslinger
05-27-2009, 6:09 PM
Hey guys I finished a mag in my ar running a shooting drill and the bolt catch kept the bolt opened as it should, but when I droped the rifle to go for my side arm the bolt slamed shut fromthe impact. I then tried it again but on purpose this time and slamed the stock with my hand...the bolt slamed shut again..is this somthing to worry about?

Technical Ted
05-27-2009, 6:13 PM
Mag in or mag out?

FLIGHT762
05-27-2009, 6:15 PM
Hey guys I finished a mag in my ar running a shooting drill and the bolt catch kept the bolt opened as it should, but when I droped the rifle to go for my side arm the bolt slamed shut fromthe impact. I then tried it again but on purpose this time and slamed the stock with my hand...the bolt slamed shut again..is this somthing to worry about?

They all do that with the magazine removed.

freonr22
05-27-2009, 6:16 PM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=176451&highlight=bolt+slam

aplinker
05-27-2009, 6:49 PM
They all do that with the magazine removed.

+1... only the tension of the bolt is keeping it in place.

A sufficiently forceful smack can cause it to close with a mag in, as well - it just takes a lot more to do it.

Ishoot
05-27-2009, 7:00 PM
Working as intended...although you should baby the AR a little more, it's not meant to be abused like an AK. :D

Linburger
05-27-2009, 7:14 PM
I'm pretty sure they're just supposed to be like that. That's why you have to be careful about whether there's a round in the chamber.

Jonathan Doe
05-27-2009, 7:19 PM
Nothing to worry about.

cmace22
05-27-2009, 8:31 PM

Im assuming your using some sort of sling. If your rifle falls ejector port out, you could be hitting the bolt catch with your body. Horizontal impact shouldnt release the bolt that easy. If it was vertical impact you may have enough energy to release the tention from the bolt off the bolt catch, releaseing the BCG.

Unless by droping your rifle, you really mean drop. Then that will probably be enough to close the bolt.

dchang0
05-27-2009, 9:02 PM
Working as intended...although you should baby the AR a little more, it's not meant to be abused like an AK. :D

Aw crap! All this time I thought we're supposed to baby our AKs and abuse our ARs, and now you tell me it's the other way around?!

Requiem
05-27-2009, 9:09 PM
This happened all the time when I was on IADT. A guy would drop a rifle, bolt would slam shut, then he'd have fifty guys yelling at him to "follow it" :D

iaredavid
06-11-2009, 9:12 PM
At work, our armorers would palm-slap the end of the buttstock to release the bolt when we check our rifles back in. It would take a good amount of force for the brand new guns, but after a few thousand rounds every lever gets softened out.

This happened all the time when I was on IADT. A guy would drop a rifle, bolt would slam shut, then he'd have fifty guys yelling at him to "follow it" :D

All our grunts still do that, at least the junior enlisted & NCOs when in front of the junior enlisted.

bohoki
06-11-2009, 11:29 PM
this is good stuff to know

like when people ask why the safety wont work if the hammer is foward