PDA

View Full Version : Vltor Guys- EMOD or MODSTOCK ??

Electric Factory
05-27-2009, 5:34 PM
VLtor stock guys, which gets the nod- the EMOD or MODSTOCK ??

goober
05-27-2009, 5:35 PM
EMOD

mls343
05-27-2009, 5:36 PM
EMOD for me. Looks cool and hold the right amount of stuff without being too heavy. Personally, I took off the rubber butt pad which made it a bit lighter and easier 9for me) to get in a good shooting position.

Just my $0.02

Cheers

aplinker
05-27-2009, 5:57 PM
There's really no reason to choose a modstock over the EMOD.

missiontrails
05-27-2009, 7:04 PM
If choice is between only those 2, then the EMOD, you will like the butt plate shape. I had one a little while back. However, I sold it once I felt and shot the SOPMOD. If you are a guy who likes a total precision fit, the SOPMOD is it. My new one came with a QD mount built in the rear also. This is No BS, my SOPMOD locks up as tight as a CTR.

Prc329
05-27-2009, 7:31 PM
I've owned a modstock in the past and currently run an emod. No contest, emod kicks its but.

gunhohulk
05-27-2009, 7:44 PM
I have an EMOD on my LWRC and its pretty nice. If you are installing it on an existing buffer tube make sure you get one for what you have(mil-spec or commercial) cause from what i have seen some websites don't tell you which is which.

fliparch
05-27-2009, 7:56 PM
EMOD nuff said.

viras
05-27-2009, 8:01 PM
EMOD FTW

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/9144/dsc016199659408.jpg

CrackedShot
05-27-2009, 8:10 PM
EMOD is definitely one of the most versatile, comfortable and fast adjustable stocks I have used. :thumbsup:

Plisk
05-27-2009, 8:12 PM
EMOD:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Jicko
05-27-2009, 8:24 PM
LMT SOPMOD..... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Electric Factory
05-27-2009, 8:29 PM
LMT SOPMOD..... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Ahhhh... a dissenter !

Jicko, what do you like most about the SOPMOD ?

Plisk
05-27-2009, 8:31 PM
Ahhhh... a dissenter !

Prolly the fact that its off-topic. :eek:

Electric Factory
05-27-2009, 8:37 PM

:eek:

ghost
05-27-2009, 8:40 PM
emod nuff said!;)

missiontrails
05-27-2009, 8:45 PM
Ahhhh... a dissenter !

People who have not played with a SOPMOD just don't know how different they are. In the "Beat the crap out of it" test, my money goes on the SOPMOD. On the most precise, NO-PLAY fit, the SOPMOD again. Battery tubes, again the SOPMOD. The EMOD IS a good quality product, but I fall back upon my above points.

BuisJoel
05-27-2009, 8:47 PM
modstock. its the only one ive had though. but dont like the look of the other

aplinker
05-27-2009, 8:56 PM
Ahhhh... a dissenter !

I've long been a proponent of the SOPMOD. It's better. The cheekweld is stellar, it stays put, and it's just really a work or functional art.

You didn't ask about others, so I answered your question. I figured you had passed on the other options. There's always the CTR or UBR, as well.

Electric Factory
05-27-2009, 9:06 PM
I've long been a proponent of the SOPMOD. It's better. The cheekweld is stellar, it stays put, and it's just really a work or functional art.

You didn't ask about others, so I answered your question. I figured you had passed on the other options. There's always the CTR or UBR, as well.

I'm using a CTR right now and honestly have no complaints with it. I've had a UBR and while I found it perfectly servicable it WAS heavy and in my view overpriced.

And speaking of price, the SOPMOD is considerably more dough than even the EMOD- where is the xtra investment in the SOPMOD reflected ?

I'm looking at moving to he EMOD or SOPMOD because of their ergonomics and storage space, both features I like. I originally posted about the MODSTOCK because it was the cheaper of the two.

Mine is the quest of the Holy Grail, never satisfied and always looking over the horizon....:thumbsup:

aplinker
05-27-2009, 9:07 PM
I'm using a CTR right now and honestly have no complaints with it. I've had a UBR and while I found it perfectly servicable it WAS heavy and in my view overpriced.

I'm looking at moving to he EMOD or SOPMOD because of their ergonomics and storage space, both features I like. I originally posted about the MODSTOCK because it was the cheaper of the two.

Mine is the quest of the Holy Grail, never satisfied and always looking over the horizon....:thumbsup:

I've BTDT on them all... still prefer SOPMOD. The next Magpul stock, though, might be a winner... we shall see.

missiontrails
05-27-2009, 9:14 PM
Pay the money for the SOPMOD. The first time you extend it and lock it into place, you will have found your Holly Grail. 2 years from now, what will that extra $60 mean that you paid for a stock, a stock that you will probably still own. Look at the picture in the bottom left of my post, there is my last EMOD.

Ducman
05-27-2009, 9:37 PM
Yup, maybe late in the game, SOPMOD :thumbsup:

missiontrails
05-27-2009, 9:45 PM
EMOD

http://members.cox.net/dehlers/sabre2.jpg

VS.

SOPMOD

http://members.cox.net/dehlers/CMMG.jpg

Electric Factory
05-27-2009, 10:29 PM
Visual aids. :thumbsup:

EMOD

http://members.cox.net/dehlers/sabre2.jpg

VS.

SOPMOD

http://members.cox.net/dehlers/CMMG.jpg

Jicko
05-27-2009, 10:38 PM

Get a SOPMOD and you are done. (until something else come out.....)

I've BTDT on them all... still prefer SOPMOD. The next Magpul stock, though, might be a winner... we shall see.

I'm with ucla there.... I've BTDT on most, if not all..... and still prefer SOPMOD.

Even for my love of Magpul.... my Magpul MPLA lower sports a LMT SOPMOD....

I will give ACR a try when it comes out.... but all it does is a LMT-SOPMOD-wannabe....

*sigh* some people just dunno what they dunno....

Electric Factory
05-28-2009, 3:43 PM
Okay guys, here's what happened today;
I was at the range dialing in newly puchased Eotech 517 [ with the side mounted controls ]when another AR shooter happened along who had an EMOD mounted on his rifle. He allowed me to pick it up and give it a test and I must confess it was very comfortable and solid feeling. Very impressed with this stock, so much so that I ordered one from Bravo Co this morning.
It'll hopefully be here Sat, when it does I'll post pics of it mounted .
Stay tuned... :thumbsup:

fliparch
05-28-2009, 3:55 PM
Okay guys, here's what happened today;
I was at the range dialing in newly puchased Eotech 517 [ with the side mounted controls ]when another AR shooter happened along who had an EMOD mounted on his rifle. He allowed me to pick it up and give it a test and I must confess it was very comfortable and solid feeling. Very impressed with this stock, so much so that I ordered one from Bravo Co this morning.
It'll hopefully be here Sat, when it does I'll post pics of it mounted .
Stay tuned... :thumbsup:

Were you at Angeles Range today?

missiontrails
05-28-2009, 3:57 PM
ooooo..... should have tried them both. But, it's not like you bought a bad product. If I could put the butt plate of the EMOD on the SOPMOD- that would be the ultimate.

Electric Factory
05-28-2009, 4:22 PM
Were you at Angeles Range today?

Yes sir :thumbsup:

Electric Factory
05-28-2009, 4:23 PM
If I could put the butt plate of the EMOD on the SOPMOD- that would be the ultimate.

Funny you should mention, it was the butt pad which really sold me- perfect fit, at least for me.

Jicko
05-28-2009, 4:28 PM
Funny you should mention, it was the butt pad which really sold me- perfect fit, at least for me.

Have you tried a SOPMOD?

Electric Factory
05-28-2009, 4:31 PM
Have you tried a SOPMOD?

No I haven't, but I'd love to try one and I shoot at angeles range in the SFV all the time [ hint hint, nudge nudge] should any SOPMOD users were to, you know, happen along...:43:

fliparch
05-28-2009, 4:40 PM
Yes sir :thumbsup:

I'm glad you like the EMOD! :) See you again next time.

Sig357
05-28-2009, 8:39 PM
I like the EMOD enough to order a second. Great stock!

Electric Factory
05-29-2009, 8:38 AM
If luck is with me I should have delivery and make installation by Sat afternoon. And by the way just to restate I have NO complaints with the MagPul CTR, excellent in every way- lock up, cheek weld, balance, weight all of it. So why replace it ?
To be honest had there been a local retail shop which carried a wide selection of MagPul/ VLtor, LMT etc products I'd have actually purchased far fewer AR accesories in my lifetime- a gaggle of grips, a schmidt load of stocks, a plethora of rail panels, i know many of you guys know exactly what I'm talking about.
Even at most gun shows lately I don't seem to see a wide selection of AR accessories to handle before making the decision to buy. Pictures only take you so far, fortuantely I ran into someone who let me handle his EMOD.
Anyway I'll post pics at touchdown, here's what it's going on;

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t57/electricfactory/100_7324.jpg

Justintoxicated
05-29-2009, 9:00 AM
my Bravo Company Stock has less play than my VLTOR Emod... The Emod seemed to have less play than others for its price, and its not a bad stock (I like the extra storage and shape of it) but none the less my Bravo Company V1 stock has less play and was alot cheaper (It's like $25 if you don't factory in the buffer tube).

I went with the EMOD because the price is crazy for the SOPMOD. It's not really just an extra $60 it's $80 more ($175 more than the bravo company) and thats alot considering the EMOD is only $120 to begin with. You can buy 2 EMODS, for every SOPMOD, for an additional $40 (or 8 Bravo Company Stocks !). The utility compartment is nice for keeping my BB Wrench and Wonder Wrench and Snap Cap, and front sight adjustment tool in. You can't do that with the SOPMOD. If you just want no play / wiggle then your CTR may be better, I know my Cheapo Bravo Company Stock is much better in this regard.

missiontrails
05-29-2009, 9:52 AM
my Bravo Company Stock has less play than my VLTOR Emod... The Emod seemed to have less play than others for its price, and its not a bad stock (I like the extra storage and shape of it) but none the less my Bravo Company V1 stock has less play and was alot cheaper (It's like $25 if you don't factory in the buffer tube).

I went with the EMOD because the price is crazy for the SOPMOD. It's not really just an extra $60 it's $80 more ($175 more than the bravo company) and thats alot considering the EMOD is only $120 to begin with. You can buy 2 EMODS, for every SOPMOD, for an additional $40 (or 8 Bravo Company Stocks !). The utility compartment is nice for keeping my BB Wrench and Wonder Wrench and Snap Cap, and front sight adjustment tool in. You can't do that with the SOPMOD. If you just want no play / wiggle then your CTR may be better, I know my Cheapo Bravo Company Stock is much better in this regard.
You can buy 2 RRA uppers for the price of a Noveske RECCE also. If you want the best, you've gotta pay to play. $600 more is a lot for a better upper, but $70 more for the strongest and BEST fitting stock is hard to overlook.

RECCE556
05-29-2009, 2:06 PM
The MODSTOCK is good if you're looking to save weight and make a more compact unit (for storage or example). For functionality, I prefer the EMOD over all the others (the SOPMOD is 2nd for me). The UBR would be a great choice except it's WAY too heavy for a AR15 IMO. I use my UBR's on my .308 builds and my SIG 556 because the extra weight balances out the heavy front ends.

Electric Factory
05-29-2009, 2:13 PM
.... The UBR would be a great choice except it's WAY too heavy for a AR15 IMO. I use my UBR's on my .308 builds and my SIG 556 because the extra weight balances out the heavy front ends.

My feelings exactly. I had a UBR and it makes a discernable weight difference, really to the point that it nullifies the inherent benefits of a carbine.

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t57/electricfactory/100_6207.jpg

Justintoxicated
05-29-2009, 4:21 PM
You can buy 2 RRA uppers for the price of a Noveske RECCE also. If you want the best, you've gotta pay to play. $600 more is a lot for a better upper, but $70 more for the strongest and BEST fitting stock is hard to overlook.

But how much better than the EMOD is it? $200 for piece of plastic after all. Hell I think the Bravo Company stock is better than the EMOD in some ways and its cheap as dirt if you subtract the cost of the extension tube assembly. I haven't shot a Noveske but I do have a bravo company upper which from what I heard is possibly even a littler nicer and costs much less. More expensive isn't always better.

Hell look at my issues with my YM BCG I got from PK, vs having no issues with cheap BCGs.

WeekendWarrior
06-02-2009, 10:35 AM
EMOD for sure, have one on my .308 DMR. VERY NICE, a little on the heavy side. I would recommend the UBR over it though.

Electric Factory
06-02-2009, 11:14 AM
Ok, as promised a couple of pics and impressions over the newly arrived and mounted EMOD.
The good; the stock feels great when the rifle is shouldered, both cheek weld and weight are in my view perfect

The bad; not much. The stock has some slight lateral movement, almost imperceptable but it's there. The CTR has none.

The ugly; whatever the EMOD is, it ain't ugly ! I will say though I'm not certain if I have it mounted properly. The stock length adjustment on the buffer tube is a bit sticky, or rather I should say 'tight'. It takes some applied force to move the stock back and forth on the [ mil-spec] buffer tube. Is that normal ?
If anyone who has an EMOD mounted on your gun plans on an Angeles Range trip anytime this week or weekend, please let me know, would like to connect, bring mine along. Maybe I'm doing something wrong ?

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t57/electricfactory/100_7405.jpg
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t57/electricfactory/100_7404.jpg