PDA

View Full Version : HELP Building AR 15

hudsonaj36
05-27-2009, 5:14 PM
Hi all,
Cut me some slack here please I am a newb. I am trying to get the parts together to build an AR .223 / 5.56, but there is so many options. I dont know what parts to buy or what will work together. What is the diff between MilSpec and Commercial? Just bought a spikes stripped multi caliber lower and an RRA LPK gen2. Thats all I have so far so my question is what stock/upper to buy? do I need milspec or commercial? Does it even matter if I mix and match?
Any help will be appreciated.

mydogsmonkey
05-27-2009, 5:27 PM
stock doesn't matter, just make sure the stock (comm or milspec) matches with the buffer tube diameter (comm or milspec)
upper, you have so many choices, you have to tell us what you want in your upper, what features, how much to spend etc.

tomd1584
05-27-2009, 5:33 PM
If you're still up in the air about which upper, take a look through all the pictures in the rifle gallery. It will show you how different lengths/handguards/scopes look. good luck and post up pictures when you're done!

Josh3239
05-27-2009, 5:38 PM
For the buffer tube and stock setups, mil-spec buffer tube are 1.14'' and commercial tubes are 1.17''. The tubes will thread into any lower.

For the upper, you can start with deciding what barrel length, gas system, and chrome lined or stainless steel.

For the stock, you should start with whether you want a fixed or a collapsible. If you aren't using a bullet button you are limited to the fixed stock only.

caligundude
05-27-2009, 5:39 PM
dats how i am on da upper also =(

aplinker
05-27-2009, 5:58 PM
Hi all,
Cut me some slack here please I am a newb. I am trying to get the parts together to build an AR .223 / 5.56, but there is so many options. I dont know what parts to buy or what will work together. What is the diff between MilSpec and Commercial? Just bought a spikes stripped multi caliber lower and an RRA LPK gen2. Thats all I have so far so my question is what stock/upper to buy? do I need milspec or commercial? Does it even matter if I mix and match?
Any help will be appreciated.

read through my signature to get you started, then come back with specific questions.

freonr22
05-27-2009, 6:01 PM
this seems like a good deal depending on what you are doing... any other peoples thoughts? http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=188070

Lateralus
05-27-2009, 6:02 PM
dats how i am on da upper also =(

Seriously?

aplinker
05-27-2009, 6:51 PM
this seems like a good deal depending on what you are doing... any other peoples thoughts? http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=188070

Not really... It's about $50 less than a BCM and not in the same league. You'll also have to cough up dough for a front sight, along with the standard BCG, etc.

JKSupply has a good upper available right now you might want to consider.

hudsonaj36
05-27-2009, 7:32 PM
Thanks to all who replied!
uclaplinker, your post was very helpful.

Amacias805
05-27-2009, 7:53 PM
Not really... It's about $50 less than a BCM and not in the same league. You'll also have to cough up dough for a front sight, along with the standard BCG, etc.

JKSupply has a good upper available right now you might want to consider.

i dont think that its a terrible deal if its in stock and its the uppers he builds are consistent.. but it wouldn't be my first choice

hudsonaj36
05-27-2009, 8:24 PM
After lookoing around the noveske uppers look hard to beat. What about LaRue uppers? I also like the vltor emod stock. I am definitly wanting the mid length gas system with the flat top. Now to get on a waiting list!!!! Thanks again everybody!!!