PDA

View Full Version : Don Perata running for Oakland Mayor?

fredieusa
05-27-2009, 3:55 PM
I was hoping we were done with this guy.

Just heard on news that Perata says that now he is free to run for Oakland mayor - now that he is off the hook for the corruption charges..

CCWFacts
05-27-2009, 3:58 PM
Yes, the FBI dropped the investigation. Too bad, I was really hoping he would end up on trial.

NRAhighpowershooter
05-27-2009, 4:08 PM
he could never hold a real job.. that;s why he's running for OakMayor....

bwiese
05-27-2009, 4:14 PM
The hubris will get him.

He thinks he's clean. 2 yrs from now someone will wear a wire and get him.

I'm surprised Lily Hu wasn't found rotting in a car trunk along by the docks.

Bugei
05-28-2009, 9:20 AM
Hasn't Oakland suffered enough? Isn't their crime rate high enough yet? Why do they keep electing these guys?

dfletcher
05-28-2009, 9:50 AM
Hasn't Oakland suffered enough? Isn't their crime rate high enough yet? Why do they keep electing these guys?

I suppose because the candidates make promises and the voters are foolish enough to believe them. Mainly promises of what the city/state will do for them, Perata will certainly include "I've got connections" as part of his pitch.

I think the city needs a hard*ss with brains - someone who will clean up the city, let the police do their job, bring business into the city to increase their tax base and employment. That's a hard sell in CA right now, even more difficult with a basket case city like Oakland.

How on earth Ron Dellums became mayor is beyond me - could there be a person more disinterested in running a city? It's as though he became mayor only to qualify for some sort of government retirement plan, punch his "city government" ticket so to speak. And the people of Oakland elected him - sorry to say it's true, people get the sort of government they deserve.

Aegis
05-28-2009, 11:23 AM
Didn't he have a CCW permit at one time? Maybe he still does, yet is against everyone else getting one. This guy has no credibility.

Bugei
05-28-2009, 11:28 AM
Didn't he have a CCW permit at one time? Maybe he still does, yet is against everyone else getting one. This guy has no credibility.

He doesn't need credibility to get elected. It's not like Moonbeam had any.

dfletcher
05-28-2009, 11:48 AM

IIRC, he cited upsetting gun owners as a need for having a CCW.

Don't know if folks recall when someone released tapes of conversations in the Goveror's office - happened about 2 years ago I think. Arnold was heard remarking that Perata was either a "sick person" or "just sick" - words along those lines. It never struck me that he was discussing the guy's physical health, but some little kink or predeliction Perata may have. And when asked Perate joked a bit, dismissed whatever upset folks thought he should have. Always struck me as an interesting exchange.

RomanDad
05-28-2009, 12:04 PM
He should be running for cell block *****.

1JimMarch
05-28-2009, 12:16 PM
All you ever need to know about "The Don":

http://www.ninehundred.net/~equalccw/donperata.gif

Comedy note:

When I got the first copy of this from the Alameda County Sheriff's Office, they had blacked out a LOT - everything about who the permitholder was, for starters.

But they'd done so by copying the original and then using a black sharpie on the parts they didn't want read.

So if it wasn't already obvious enough who it was about, you could hold the black bits up to the light at the right angle and read them clear as day :).

I wrote a nastygram back saying in effect "OK you morons, first off you had no right to redact it, second you did so incompetently and I can still read it, third if you don't give me a clean copy of this I'm going to take it to the local media so they can report on how you're trying to hide an obvious stupidity and you can't even competently redact a document."

They caved in a matter of days and produced what you see above. I consider it among my finest treasures in public records trawling.

OH YEAH. Comedy note #2.

Some years later I was supporting a bill to improve the election process. It was a decent bill, sponsored by, you guessed it, Perata. Sigh. And this was during the period (2003 to 2005) when I was the full-time lobbyist for CCRKBA on gun stuff.

So I had to go into the elections and somethingelseIforget committee, *chaired by Perata at the time*, explain that I was there on my own behalf not CCRKBA, and then praise his bill. While he sat there chuckling, because he knew full well I had found and published the above document. And I even noted in my remarks that it's odd for me to be supporting a Perata bill (more snickers) without going into detail :).

Anyways. He actually thanked me out in the hall, and I suspect to this day he'd say I'm an honest opponent (on gun stuff).

RomanDad
05-28-2009, 12:27 PM
All you ever need to know about "The Don":

http://www.ninehundred.net/~equalccw/donperata.gif

Comedy note:

When I got the first copy of this from the Alameda County Sheriff's Office, they had blacked out a LOT - everything about who the permitholder was, for starters.

But they'd done so by copying the original and then using a black sharpie on the parts they didn't want read.

So if it wasn't already obvious enough who it was about, you could hold the black bits up to the light at the right angle and read them clear as day :).

I wrote a nastygram back saying in effect "OK you morons, first off you had no right to redact it, second you did so incompetently and I can still read it, third if you don't give me a clean copy of this I'm going to take it to the local media so they can report on how you're trying to hide an obvious stupidity and you can't even competently redact a document."

They caved in a matter of days and produced what you see above. I consider it among my finest treasures in public records trawling.

OH YEAH. Comedy note #2.

Some years later I was supporting a bill to improve the election process. It was a decent bill, sponsored by, you guessed it, Perata. Sigh. And this was during the period (2003 to 2005) when I was the full-time lobbyist for CCRKBA on gun stuff.

So I had to go into the elections and somethingelseIforget committee, *chaired by Perata at the time*, explain that I was there on my own behalf not CCRKBA, and then praise his bill. While he sat there chuckling, because he knew full well I had found and published the above document. And I even noted in my remarks that it's odd for me to be supporting a Perata bill (more snickers) without going into detail :).

Anyways. He actually thanked me out in the hall, and I suspect to this day he'd say I'm an honest opponent (on gun stuff).
Sonova*****

Aegis
05-28-2009, 12:46 PM
For someone who hates guns so much, he sure didn't mind carrying one. He is nothing more than a hypocrite. He lives by the motto, do as I say, not as I do. This loser is a BIG part of the reason California is in a terrible financial position.