PDA

View Full Version : OLL build. Selector switch wont move.

SkyStorm82
05-27-2009, 3:26 PM
Ran into a problem. When I place the selector detent into the hole...and install the pistol grip, the selector switch wont move from safe to fire. It's a Stag LPK is it matters.

I can't figure out what the problem is. When I first put in the detent, the selector switch moves. Once I install the pistol grip....it's stuck.

Plisk
05-27-2009, 3:30 PM
It sounds like your detent spring might be too long. I'm not 100% sure, but I'm sure someone will post in a minute to solve your problem. Good luck with it.

ke6guj
05-27-2009, 3:30 PM
is the hammer cocked?

did you remove the grip to see if it would turn again?

SkyStorm82
05-27-2009, 3:34 PM
The hammer is cocked. I took off the pistol grip and the selector switch still wouldn't move. Had to give it a little shake to get it lose.

I put the detent back in and the selector switch worked. Then I pushed down on the detent with a roll pin punch and it went in a little farther. Now the selector switch is stuck again.

Dirtbiker
05-27-2009, 3:35 PM
My stag kit did that. Make sure it's together right, pull it apart and put a little moly grease on the detent and in the selector groove.

ke6guj
05-27-2009, 3:38 PM
ok, sounds like either the detent is out-of-spec (oversize) or the detent hole is undersize. DO you have another receiver or detent you can compare with?

SkyStorm82
05-27-2009, 3:42 PM
ok, sounds like either the detent is out-of-spec (oversize) or the detent hole is undersize. DO you have another receiver or detent you can compare with?

The detent matches all the other detents I have. All these LPK's and Stag Lowers were bought at the start of the OLL movement....before the mad dash to move product and keep up with demand. I really hope the lower's not out of spec.

SkyStorm82
05-27-2009, 3:48 PM
My stag kit did that. Make sure it's together right, pull it apart and put a little moly grease on the detent and in the selector groove.

Ok, this looks like it's going to work. Let me intall the pistol grip again to make sure.

It does concern me that I even needed to put some moly grease in it to get it to work. What happens when the moly grease dries up, or gets pushed out after so many uses?

cmace22
05-27-2009, 3:49 PM
It wouldnt surprise me if your detent hole on the selector was too deep. my buddy had a take down pin like that, that ended up sheering of the rounded edge of the detent after a while. Try a different selector and see if it helps. i cant imagine it being the lower.

aplinker
05-27-2009, 3:51 PM
Ok, this looks like it's going to work. Let me intall the pistol grip again to make sure.

It does concern me that I even needed to put some moly grease in it to get it to work. What happens when the moly grease dries up, or gets pushed out after so many uses?

By then it won't matter... it just needs something slippery to start working and get broken in.

I've seen this before, too.

And remember: no matter how hard you wish or try, the selector won't move past "Fire." ;)

ke6guj
05-27-2009, 3:52 PM
OK, since it sounds like hte detent is to spec, I'd take a good look at the detent hole. Look inside for any burrs or anything that could cause the detent to stick.

If it were me, I'd probably just determine what the proper size drill bit size was, see if the hole is the proper size, and enlarge the hole to spec if needed. The hole is stepped, and has two diameters to contend with.

Do all the stag lowers have the same problem, or just this one?

SkyStorm82
05-27-2009, 3:59 PM
I just switched out the selector switch and detent pin with a new one. The moly grease worked but I thought it better to use different ones. Though I did add a tiny bit of grease to the new ones after first trying it dry.

Thanks fellas.

Bruce3
05-27-2009, 4:10 PM
The detent matches all the other detents I have. All these LPK's and Stag Lowers were bought at the start of the OLL movement....before the mad dash to move product and keep up with demand. I really hope the lower's not out of spec.

did you just say the selector detent matches the others? its shouldn't, its suppose to be different. outlined in red.

SkyStorm82
05-27-2009, 4:17 PM
LOL....no sorry. I meant it matched the other selector detent matches in my other LPK's.

Bruce3
05-27-2009, 4:25 PM
oh okay just checking, man i hope my stag lpk is okay..

SkyStorm82
05-27-2009, 7:29 PM
oh okay just checking, man i hope my stag lpk is okay..

Well like I said, the moly grease seemed to have fixed the problem. I just wanted to go with the parts that didn't require it to work.

I am curious how many others with Stag LPK's had this issue.

ty423
05-27-2009, 7:40 PM
it'll probably break in eventually.