PDA

View Full Version : CA Legally reg'ed AW's OK to Add ?

n556
05-27-2009, 2:03 PM
Is it ok to add a protruding foregrip to my AR since it's a legally registered AW? Also since the Fed ban expired is there such a thing as a preban/postban ?

I'm confused about the evil features on legally registered AW's.

I haven't cracked open my safe since just after SB23 and was looking into current laws. I'm confused about what I can do to my legally registered AR's and AK's. I have 2 preban and 2 post ban of each type but now it looks like there isn't such a thing now...

Thanks!

ke6guj
05-27-2009, 2:06 PM
correct, if you have a CA RAW, you can add evil features (except grenade launchers) to your heart's content now that the federal AW ban has expired.

Just make sure you don't accidentily violate the SBR regs by putting on a <16" barrel, or putting on a folding/collapsible stock that would be fireable while it is <26" long.

djleisure
05-27-2009, 3:41 PM
correct, if you have a CA RAW, you can add evil features (except grenade launchers) to your heart's content now that the federal AW ban has expired.

Just make sure you don't accidentily violate the SBR regs by putting on a <16" barrel, or putting on a folding/collapsible stock that would be fireable while it is <26" long.
That's all correct, but I believe it is <30" for centerfire rifles, <26" for shotguns and rimfire... but I could wrong.

professorhard
05-27-2009, 3:44 PM
30in for centerfire rifles is a CA law, since they are RAWs it doesnt apply. The federal law is 26in for rifles centerfire or rimfire.

djleisure
05-27-2009, 3:46 PM
Ahhh - good to know! Thanks for clearing that up! I figured with ~4,500 posts, ke6guj knew what he was talking about, but wanted to mention it just to be sure. Thanks!

ke6guj
05-27-2009, 3:47 PM
That's all correct, but I believe it is <30" for centerfire rifles, <26" for shotguns and rimfire... but I could wrong.26" law is for all rifles or shotgun, lest they be an SBR or SBS, per CA and federal laws.

The 30" law is only for semi-automatic centerfire rifles. Less than 30" and they are considered an AW. But the OP has a registered AW, so it can be <30" legally, but still has to comply with the 26" laws.

bwiese
05-27-2009, 3:53 PM
Jack's got it, can't add anything else.

Ding126
05-27-2009, 6:51 PM
Can you use " standard " magazines in your registered AW ?

ke6guj
05-27-2009, 6:52 PM
yup, no limit on magazine size. Heck, you could even put a bullet button on it and still run large capacity magazines in it.

Ding126
05-27-2009, 7:04 PM
yup, no limit on magazine size. Heck, you could even put a bullet button on it and still run large capacity magazines in it.

Thanks, but I don't see why I / anyone would want to do that..:thumbsup: My only regret is not registering more rifles. Oh well, at least I have one.

ke6guj
05-27-2009, 7:08 PM
I could see someone doing it as a gag, to freak out all the other shooters. Slap in a beta-C into an Off-list RAW and play dumb about magazine limits.

DDT
05-27-2009, 8:06 PM
I could see someone doing it as a gag, to freak out all the other shooters. Slap in a beta-C into an Off-list RAW and play dumb about magazine limits.

Pretty sure that violates Bill's "Drama doctrine."

ke6guj
05-27-2009, 8:13 PM
:D:D