PDA

View Full Version : Cross dominant in stressful situatiuons

scottj
05-27-2009, 12:36 PM
I'm left handed and right eye dominant. I don't shoot all that much but for years I've shot mostly left handed. Whether I'm using either the left or right eye I usually have to close the opposite eye to get a good sight picture. I'm going to an Appleseed shoot soon and will probably shoot more rounds that weekend than I have shot my entire career. Maybe now is a good time to train myself to shoot right handed.

But I wonder what would happen if I was shooting in a stressful situation? I just know the gun is going to start out in my left hand and I'll probably not have the presence of mind to switch hands for a better sight picture in a confrontation. And now that I'm in my forties my learning curve is probably going to be pretty steep and might not stick.

Any other cross-dominant shooters out there have an opinion? Can you really train yourself to shoot weak hand every time?

sreiter
05-27-2009, 1:05 PM
i hand the opposite hand/eye problem - solutions are still the same

hand gunning, i move the gun a little more to my dominant eye's side, and squint (not close) my non-dom eye - it gives the effect of closing it but you can still see just enough

I was training by literally some of the top guys in the country - (OLD/Original team gun site members)

they told me dont train shooting both hands too much stick one side 99% of the time, you can train you're weak side (dom eye) if you want to - time and practice - thats it

you can go to a scope, but you lose depth perception, peripheral vision and FAST target acquisition - might be ok if the threats are at a certain distance

one of my coaches to me specifically to get a aim point for this problem because the optic is large enough to see through with cross eye - havent tried it yet

lastly, for real CQB - there are optics that are off to the side (almost like shooting homie boy style, that should work fine, since you're not worrying about cheek weld

rifle -

30Cal
05-27-2009, 2:10 PM
I switched over a couple years back. It wasn't a big deal really. Just like anything else new, it takes a little practice. It's really a simple matter of shooting only with your "new" hand.

dchang0
05-27-2009, 2:45 PM
A friend of mine who was on the Army Marksmanship Team years ago shoots a right-hand AR lefty but is right-eye dominant. He trained his left eye to shoot as strongly as his right. All it took was practice!

Oh, and welcome to the Appleseed events! I've been to four and will keep going back until I qualify expert rifleman. Then, I'll go back to help TEACH!

aplinker
05-27-2009, 3:09 PM
You can train your hands much more easily than your eyes. You'll actually be at an advantage, since you should be comfortable shooting with either hand.

It actually comes pretty quick.

In a stress situation, what you're using will "click" whether you're using right or lift hand, as long as you've trained plenty that way.

Ian
05-27-2009, 3:55 PM
im lefty and right eye dominant too. for pistols, I use left hand, but for rifles or shotguns i always have to shoot right handed.

Vanguard
05-27-2009, 4:42 PM
I'm the opposite. I'm right handed but left eye dominant. I shoot rifles left handed but still shoot a pistol right handed.

scottj
05-27-2009, 8:00 PM
So it looks like it could go either way. Thanks for the input!

trinydex
05-27-2009, 8:32 PM
larry vickers is cross eye dominant and he shoots rifle with his left hand. he can also shoot with his right hand very well but i think he considers his left hand his strong side. he has a funny way of wearing his sling to accomodate his opposite side secondary.